Running to Social Media

Running to Social Media

A Story by Lacey
"

Everyday you open up Facebook, TikTok, Snapchat, etc. and you immediately see someone ranting or posting about this person did this and that person did that.

"
  In today's day in age, you can expect nothing more than to open Facebook, TikTok, Snapchat, etc. and read a post that your friend or family member posted about them having an issue with someone else or about another friend or family member. The statistics are quite high, but with each age range you notice it's not just the kids anymore you see posting their problems it's grown adults as well. I continue to do research and find out that right now as of 2024, there approximately 5.16 billion active social media users worldwide. That is around 59.3% of our global populations.
  There is approximately 35% of 13- 17-year-olds that use social media platforms such as YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook literally constant. Though many social media platforms set a minimum age of 13 to sign up. 38% of kids ages 8-12 say they've used social media. The survey from October 2021 recognized that 91% of 15 to 16- year-olds use social media. And 87% have their own profile. Just to add onto that 99% of children aged three to 17 use the internet.
  Statistics show that 84% of people between the ages 18-29 use social media sites. The statistics also show that 81% of people between the ages 30-49 use social media and 73% between the ages of 50-64 use the media. The statistic states that 45% between ages 65 and older use the media. Unless you want to talk about the statistics for Millennials (ages 18-34) that statistic states in the age range 30.3% of all U.S. use social media.
  Social media causes a lot of issues nationwide. The common issues associated with social media include Privacy concerns and handling of user data, spread of misinformation and FAKE NEWS, CYBERBULLYING and HARASSMENT, Polarization and echo chambers, ADDICTIVE behavior and negative effects on mental health. Some may say social media had been linked to depression, anxiety, and loneliness.
  Some of the personal problems it causes lead to an increase in body dissatisfaction, eating disorders and low self-esteem. 46% of teenagers 13 to 17 years old state that social media made them feel worse about their own bodies. Bullying can be carried on out of school not just on a playground, but online which we call cyberbullying. It happens through technology more than you notice. 64% of teenagers report cyberbullying for harmful language, images and videos that weren't supposed to be shared or just simply a secret because they think people are being their friend when their "friend" is just a bully.
  One of the most important concerns parents have with their kids being on social media and not checking their kids' devices is online predators. Predators target children and teens to sexually exploit them, financially extort them or sell them illicitly manufactured drugs. Nearly 6 out of 10 teen girls state they've come in contact with a stranger in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable.
  There are dangerous viral trends which can lead to hospitalization and even death. Social media changes daily behavior as well. These sites cause increased irritability, increased anxiety, increased depression, increased sleep issues, lack of self-esteem, and lack of focus and concentration.
  Statistics state that a study found that 89.77% of the 88 participants who attempted suicide reported asking for medical help. The suicide rate just from using social media and being cyberbullied is 14.9% of adolescents have been cyberbullied and 13.6% had made serious suicide attempts. The suicide rates amongst the teenagers have increased drastically since 2010 as more people continue to interact with social media more throughout their days.
  That is why it is important for you to keep your problems off the media and people need to stop running to social media when they have problems. It's caused for attention! ALSO, I'M BACK!
  

© 2024 Lacey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

42 Views
Added on May 4, 2024
Last Updated on May 4, 2024

Author

Lacey
Lacey

PA



Writing
Change Change

A Poem by Lacey


Love Love

A Poem by Lacey