The White Sheet Summers

The White Sheet Summers

A Poem by Crowley
"

From a recent prose poetry prompt at a writers workshop

"
There is me, and there is you. A white sheet summer, light and airy with no sultry exception this year.
Those men, our men, took to the drive. Four months, we wondered if they thought that we were forlorn, barely capable. The porch was a place to quilt dreams. In those days, dreams were like rock candy, sickeningly sweet on the tongue, but gone in the time it takes for a lightening bug to draw breath. The magic of that porch and our time held fast as long as we were dreaming together.
“Remember those dresses we made for each other?”
I laughed and thought about the bits and scraps of cloth from old dresses, cowboy clothes, dishrags.
“I still have mine.”
“Me too.”
Those smiles were big. The only time we left the ranch was to get our necessaries. Food, spices, maybe a bit of sherry. We would take the old wagon and have to slide apart a mile or so from town so as not to rouse the busy bodies from their gossip girl nests. When we turned for home, we would slide close enough that a willow reed could not be placed between our hips.
The silhouettes on the horizon that last night, the night of the return to false accountability, weighed more with each step their horses took. That white sheet summer would give way to the underpinnings of a life made for us, but not made of us. We would catch the eye of the other on occasion. Chores seemed like chores again, but the promise of next year’s drive gave way to hope and the thought that next summer would be our best.
Copyright 2022

© 2022 Crowley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am enchanted once again. As Butch once said, Who are those guys?
W.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

Lol...yes indeed. Thank you so much fro coming by!
I like the POV aspect. Easily relatable and pleasant to read. Good job on this.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Not sure of the time period of this one, but it seems to have a flavor of the old west. The principals are the wives of men who are apparently away on a cattle drive. The speaker relates the story of their time together as a comradeship, but there is a faint hint that it was something more than that. I may be reading into the story something that isn't there, but I think the bond may go beyond hugs.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

You have the right of it. I think many women found better comradeship with each other in those time.. read more
Interesting to read your female point of view and I loved it...Recently I posted a few poems from a males point of view..just came out of me...
As I said I really enjoyed your words..
How wonderful to be in a writers workshop... nothing like that here in Spain...well, at least not where we live..
Lisa, getting off the computer now...

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

Sorry for the late reply, I thank you for reading and enjoying it. I do like to try and look from t.. read more
Lisasview

1 Year Ago

You are quite welcome.
How did you learn about the workshop?
Lisa
Lisasview

1 Year Ago

I recently posted some of my new works you might like.
L


a simply sublime script sir ................................... seriously special & then some .. indeed most thoroughly enjoyed :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

thanks Neville!!
A relationship between two women in times where such would not be acceptable. Such a interesting read Crowley. Reminds me how difficult it was in past years for some to live their lives without the fear of gossip or worse. Descriptive writing, transported me into the setting. Thank goodness we have had progress. Good to see a post from you.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

Thanks Chris, its good to see you as well. will stop by for sure on this trip around, see what you h.. read more
What an interesting point of view...at least I am seeing you taking a female point of view here, talking about this relationship, that has to be secret because it would not be accepted by society.
The old days.....the prejudice...but now it is relevant again, as rights seem to be just totally stepped on again...
I really like the "willow reed" part, that is such a clever description.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

Thanks Jacob. so nice to hear from you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2022
Last Updated on July 7, 2022

Author

Crowley
Crowley

Phoenix, AZ



About
Like to hang out with other writers and see what's what. Have met a lot of good people on this and other sites through the years. Decided to come back and do a little posting and reading. Hit me up i.. more..

Writing