My Conversation With Clouds

My Conversation With Clouds

A Story by Crowley
"

A shorty for the Image Group, Image #3

"

My Conversation With Clouds

 

 

     I climbed to the top of lighthouse, stood perilously on the protective railing and shook my fist at the approaching storm. I shouted her name three times at the top of my voice.  Once in frustration, once in painful longing and once just to hear myself scream. 

 

     A passing cloud stopped for a moment and called me a ninny and encouraged me to jump.

 

     “After all,” it breezed, “a man in your condition has no right being a man at all.”

 

     I sneered at the cloud and asked why he should know. He was, after all, a cloud and had no experience with matters of the heart. I spit to the jagged rocks below.


    “I have no control over my own path,” said the cloud, "much less the path of another cloud. To think that I do, would simply be rubbish.” 

 

     The cloud puffed, blowing me off my balance.  At first I resisted and then, figuring the cloud was right, I held out my arms and leapt from the railing.

 

     As I fell, the clouds parted and the suns rays shone strongly on the rocks below, creating the most beautiful haloed images and shadow.  I started to cry.  Just before I met my fate on the sharp and fragmented rocks below, the suns rays caught me and cradled me in their warmth, slowing my decent and placing me on a flat patch of stone, the water lapping at my feet in relief.

 

     I stared at the sun and thanked her profusely, “what might I do to repay my debt of gratitude?” 

 

     The sun winked at me and said, “Quit being a ninny, and never, ever listen to a cloud."

© 2010 Crowley


Author's Note

Crowley
LOL...not my usual fare, but I went with it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful work here hun. It's definitely an easy thing to see, it really paints a picture in your head. "I shouted her name three times at the top of my voice. Once in frustration, once in painful longing and once just to hear myself scream." That's my favorite part, I think we've all done that. It's beautiful, with the humor attached nicely to the end. I really enjoyed this. Very nice job love.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I actually like this. Especially the clouds words and 'your' reaction to them. Shows how easily people and things can influence us, because right after that you listened and accepted the kind words of the sun. The last line made me laugh though. Nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wasn't it Homer Simpson's dad who shook his fist at clouds? Now reading this, I'm concluding that they really must be of a character not nearly so pleasant as their appearence. Menacing mists that they are, l know now to give them wide berth at all times.

Posted 13 Years Ago


aaah! The last line was so great! I loved this!! Thanks for submitting!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
I like it! It is light and almost fun in it's approach, but it has a strong message. "Never listen to a clout." ... Indeed !!

We are human and we are sometimes silly, failing to realize that clouds never stay forever and the idea of a permanent, awful solution to a temporary problem is pure folly.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This story was wonderful. The ending a delight. I truly thought he was going to plummet to his doom. It made me smile and giggle. I love how you painted a picture in my head. I could almost feel the cradling warmth of the sun and her winking. Personification was beautifully done. I look forward to more reads.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great work, an enjoyable little read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh, what a wonderful story..very humorous.. i have seen a few poems about clods lately .. I love lighthouses .. they are so romantic and mysterious .. so this cloud called you a ninny lol thankfully the sun came to save the day .. with more advice!

Chloe


Posted 13 Years Ago


I liked this little fable. What's interesting is that it suggests that even when one is really stupid and perhaps should've thought twice, that somewhere beyond the clouds is not only the voice of reason, but protection. The first paragraph is darkly hilarious with the three varieties of shout - & made me think of this : four that wanna own me, two that wanna stone me, one says she's a friend of mine. ;-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this:) As I said on AB, I have often drifted into many a land through clouds (metaphorically lol)
Awesome work hon!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful work here hun. It's definitely an easy thing to see, it really paints a picture in your head. "I shouted her name three times at the top of my voice. Once in frustration, once in painful longing and once just to hear myself scream." That's my favorite part, I think we've all done that. It's beautiful, with the humor attached nicely to the end. I really enjoyed this. Very nice job love.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

726 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 25, 2010
Last Updated on June 10, 2010

Author

Crowley
Crowley

Phoenix, AZ



About
Like to hang out with other writers and see what's what. Have met a lot of good people on this and other sites through the years. Decided to come back and do a little posting and reading. Hit me up i.. more..

Writing
Curfew Curfew

A Poem by Crowley


Nowhere Nowhere

A Poem by Crowley



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin


Pieces Of String Pieces Of String

A Poem by OT