5 Principles Of Effective Speaking Skills

5 Principles Of Effective Speaking Skills

A Story by Hydrate Global

Great and effective speaking skills have many useful benefits. You can bring a dull conversation to life. Sell something worthless for a million dollar price. You can convince a hopeless person that there is still something good to look forward to. And you can even change how people see their life. 

 

Words can be a weapon for anyone with the right skill to use them. Great spokespersons and debaters are the best examples of how much a mere word can cause a difference. Successful businessmen conquer the trading world with the use convincing sets of statements. But what makes these people different from the others? What makes them actually tick? 

 

Anyone can be great if they want. Do not believe for a minute that to be an effective speaker, you have to be born with it. Such is never true. It is learned. It should result from experience. You have to work for it. To give you an insight, here are the basic principles of effective speaking skills. 

Discipline 

 

If you want to learn and be good at something, you work hard for it. You practice it with discipline and no shortcuts. Renowned athletes are great at what they do because they have discipline. They abide by what will make them reach their goal and that goes the same with public speakers. 

 

If you are shy and afraid of talking in front of many people, then do something to conquer it. Start with talking to a person. Then do it with two. Afterwards, do it again with three people and so on until it stops being awkward. Until it stops being difficult for you. 

Personalize 

 

The most comfortable and easiest way to tell a story is to tell your own story. Personal experiences make imagining and knowing the right word to say a lot easier because the plot is already mapped inside your head. There is no need for memorizing the words because you already know what happened. You decide what part of the story comes first and last. 

Visualize 

 

Learning to be a great and effective speaker is not an easy task especially if you do not feel it in you. It is like having a hobby. You will not be so keen on knowing the details about it if you are not interested. The same goes for being a good speaker. You have to like it and visualize yourself that you are actually doing it to know if you really are interested in it. 

Perfection 

 

If you think that even the great public speakers do not make mistakes, you are wrong. A mistake is inevitable for all. At some point in time, even the best ones falter. So if you focus on perfection while you are speaking, you could lose more than the right words to say. 

 

When speaking in public, knowing your words is important. But that does not mean that you will have to stick to them every time. There will be instances that ad-libbing is also essential to make your audiences and listeners drawn to you. Those few wrong words can sometimes be the cause of keeping their interest towards you. 

 

Also, refrain from trying too hard. When speaking in front of people, the best way is to be yourself. As cliché as it sounds, that is the most comfortable way of telling your story. 

Concise 

 

Have you heard the saying "less is more"? That is true with public speaking. Let's put it this way. Which statement would you prefer hearing after you are done making a speech: "I wish the speaker had spoken more" or "I'm glad the speech is over"? 

 

Always try to make your speech as short yet still as clear as possible. Do not over-explain and never repeat the same topic more than once if you can avoid it. People have a short span of attention. They can easily doze off if you extend your story unnecessarily. Unless you are good with a bit of comedy, then there goes a slight exception. But despite your sense of humor, always go for the value of words than the quantity. 

© 2017 Hydrate Global


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on December 23, 2017
Last Updated on December 23, 2017