Loss

Loss

A Story by Hannah

Hunting. Crouch, wait, pounce, capture, kill. Amazing how such a simple, boring routine could support such a complicated world of life. I bit into the mouse with distaste. It was juicy, yummy, and good for my health. And I was sick of it. Every day I had to hunt, because everyone else was busy. Mom was suckling Pandora and Patch, and Dad was guarding them all. So, naturally, I had to do the hunting. I finished my mouse and crouched, brooding about how boring life was.
Scuffle, scuffle. I heard a squirrel scavenging for food. I crouched, but just as I was about to pounce, I heard a howl. That frightened the squirrel, and it ran up the tree to safety. As boring hunting was, I was proud to bring something home. I look around, a scowl on my face, searching for the source of the sound that made me lose my kill. But I froze, the hairs on my back rising in anticipation. Something was wrong, I could tell that from what I heard, or rather, what I didn't hear. I couldn't hear anything. The chattering of squirrels and birds alike scampering and going about their life in the life overhead. The barely discernible, but constant noise of the steps of animals of all sorts creating a shuffling backdrop for everyday life. Everything was silent, I couldn't hear a thing.
Then the vibrations started. Thump, thump.
What could make a vibration that strong? The sounds continues, with howls mixed in. Howls? Suddenly, a horrid stench engulfed me, making me gag as I began to race towards home. But I wasn't fast enough. I could feel the ground shaking as I thought, No single living thing should be able to make a vibration of this magnitude. So I concluded that it was a pack. A group. A gaggle. But of what?
The animals gained on me, clearly noticeable through the steadily increasing mini-earthquake I could feel beneath me. I gasped as I understood what the stench I could smell was. Wild-eyed, foaming, flea-ridden dogs -came tearing into sight, barking crazily, sending showers of foul-smelling spittle. I bolted, and it occurred to me that they were pursuing something: me. Stumbling with the thought, but then I came to my senses and realized I was going straight towards my family and all their smells of home, comfort, and familiarity. I couldn't let that happen. I ducked away from the path and tried to lead the pack away, but it was too late; they caught the scent of multiple cats and they were off, almost out of my sight in a blink.
I has horrified as I pelted through a shortcut. I know this ground like I know myself and my family, I can find a way to get to them quicker and warn them. But with my foolish miscalculation, I lost this shred of hope; I tripped. Swearing and cursing at my stupidity, I tried to increase my stride to make up for this fatal fumble. But the time I finally stumbled home, it was all gone. The small shelter I helped build, slept in, played around, ate at, all with my family, it was crushed beyond any hope of repair. The nests were in ruin, the pile of leaves piled by my younger siblings scattered just as they once were. The dogs had completely ravaged my home.
But the scariest thing was the silence. I didn't hear a single murmur, no mewling or snores. Everything was gone. Everyone I had grudgingly guarded, helped, cuddled, and dedicated my life to. Gone.

***

I woke to a beautiful morning, birds singing, butterflies drifting along prettily with the light breeze. But I saw none of it. I saw a world of black, white, and red. Every since I saw my home, I was in a state of misery, guilt, and devastation beyond any chance of returning to my peaceful state.
Now I know what I will do. I could not let this go unpunished, and I will get revenge, even if it meant taking on the entire pack, alive. I will live off my grief, pain, and anger to avenge my family, and only once I have achieved that goal will I follow my beloveds to their final resting places. I will become a ghoul, hunting those I hate just as a ghost would haunt their places of death.
I got up, shaking the chill off. I could not stop here. I headed into the bushes without looking back.
I hungered for revenge.

© 2014 Hannah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on April 8, 2014
Last Updated on April 8, 2014

Author

Hannah
Hannah

Writing
Space Space

A Story by Hannah


Escape Escape

A Story by Hannah