Broken Vows (Chapter 4)

Broken Vows (Chapter 4)

A Story by Harsh Kumar Chaudhary

 

4

 

Lunch dates transformed into office meet-ups in a blink of an eye. The time they spent together made them crave each other at their homes. Lakshya started treating Vaidehi’s body as Richa’s. He used to close his eyes and hug Vaidehi thinking its Richa, and Richa alternated her small stuffed Panda with Lakshya. She used to talk to Panda; everything she couldn’t say to Lakshya, she said to Panda. She even talked dirty with Panda. Are you good in bed? Looking at your lean fit body, I think you are good, but that’s only my presumption. I will conclude only after experiencing it. When are you inviting me home? I want to see the place of Mr Handsome. I have seen you are organized at the workplace, but are you organized at your comfort place too or messy like me? Are we like each other or opposite? Are we the opposite magnet that attracts or the rail tracks that goes together beyond boundaries? And most importantly, are you proposing to me soon or wanting me to get down on my knees?

 

    Lakshya and Richa sitting at a rooftop restaurant under dimly lit bright colors. Soft music. Facing each other. Wind letting her hair go wild. Lakshya admires how beautiful she is.

Lakshya: Hi Richa, how are you?

Richa: I’m good, Lakshya. How about you?

Lakshya: I’m fantastic now that I’m talking to you. You know, I’ve been thinking about you a lot lately.

Richa: Really, why is that?

Lakshya: I just can’t get you out of my mind. You and the moments we shared together are always on my mind.

Richa: Aww, Lakshya, that’s so sweet. I feel the same way.

Lakshya: I’m so glad to hear that. Richa, I want to be with you all the time. Will you be my girlfriend?

Richa: Yes, Lakshya, I will be your girlfriend. I’ve been waiting for you to ask me this.

Lakshya: That’s excellent news, Richa. I promise to always make you smile and be there for you through thick and thin.

Richa: I know you will, Lakshya. I love you.

Lakshya: I love you too, Richa.

 

Lakshya soon realized the soft music was not playing in the restaurant but from his phone’s alarm. Of course, this was a dream, but I wish it was true. Lakshya said to himself, shutting his alarm.

Vaidehi entered the room; I have prepared your breakfast, and lunch is packed in tiffin. Don’t forget it. I might get late today as I have to visit a site at Alibagh. She came to him, cupped his face, landed a peck on his lips, said Bye, and left.

A peck from Vaidehi opened doors of thoughts for Lakshya. Vaidehi’s love language is touch, holding hands, and kissing, which are her ways of expressing affection. What’s his way? How do you tell Love? Lakshya said in a wobbling voice to his reflection in the washroom mirror while brushing his teeth. He then took a shower and wrapped a towel around his lower half. Got ready, had breakfast and left home.

 

Richa was feeling sick today and took a leave. She felt so weak that she couldn’t even move her body. She missed her home as no one was there to take care of her. She somehow managed to get up and locate the thermometer. Fever 101. she lay on the bed, unable to think what to do.

I’m not feeling well today, she texted Lakshya.

What happened? Lakshya replied quickly.

Fever 101. Body aching.

Send me your location, he texted, getting back in the car.

No, don’t worry. I’ll call my friend.

Do as I said, he commanded.

He directed her PG in Google Maps and steered his car.

After 23 minutes of driving, the Google assistant said, your destination is on the left.

Your room number? He texted.

305.

He took the stairs, climbing two at a time. Pushed the door open and found her under the blanket. He touched her forehead and said you are burning.

Have you had breakfast? He asked.

Her silence signaled a no.

He took out his tiffin and gave it to her.

I haven’t brushed. She said in a low tone.

He got up, went to the attached washroom, and came out with toothpaste on her brush. She brushed her teeth, sitting on the bed. In the meantime, Lakshya took out some fresh light clothes from her cupboard. Brought her a teacup filled with water and another empty mug, then asked her to rinse her mouth in an empty cup.

He left her room and asked her to change. She came out after some time. Richa was taking too much time climbing downstairs as she felt weak. He lifted her up in his arms without her permission.

    She admired him at that moment but felt too numb to romanticize. She was just staring at him. His focus was to stick to the stairs, careful not to slip. On the ground floor, a few tenants stared like they had seen something like this for the first time, and neither reacted.

     Lakshya asked no questions about how it happened or why it happened? He just drove with all his concentration on the road. Richa only knew she was alive; everything else was a blur.

The doctor examined her and said there was nothing serious. It’s just the change in routine, food and work stress that her body couldn’t cope with. The doctor registered Richa as Mrs. Ahuja, Richa, lying on the bed, felt like Mrs. Ahuja. Doctor advised Richa to take some leave and rest. The glucose drip attached to Richa’s hand was about to end. Lakshya then sat on a stool beside her; to take some rest. He said.

Richa smiled in reply.

     Lakshya got the answer to his own question. Taking care was his way of expressing Love. Without acknowledgement, without validation, just taking care was his kind. Richa was sure that she had found her Love, the Final Love. She picked up the tiffin Lakshya gave her, caressed it and said, my first gift that isn’t wrapped but is the purest.

Lakshya started visiting her every morning and evening. He used to bring her fruits and flowers. They used to sit beside the window of her room and talk for hours. Other than lifting Richa in his arms, they were yet to touch each other. Richa noticed how Lakshya prioritized her comfort first. Every time he sat against her, she admired him like a woman admiring her dream man, like flowers admiring the sun, like peace admiring the seashore. On his sixth visit in the past three days, they sat facing each other, sipping tea. Letting the silence explore their inner atmosphere. Richa broke the silence. ' I always wanted a man who can prioritize me, give me time and respects me.

Lakshya looked down from the window at passing cars; he understood she was talking about him and blushed.

Tell me about your past relationships, Richa asked.

His smile faded, realizing he had never had any relationships and the one he is in now was a compromise. A compromise people commit to becoming acceptable in society.

Sakshi Gorai, 3-year relationship during our graduation. It ended because I was unemployed. He lied.

Strange... she left when you needed her the most. She said, "Look at this unpredictable flip of destiny, when you had your partner, you had nothing, now that you have everything, your partner is missing."

He couldn't lift his eyes.

I have been in two relationships so far. I had my first boyfriend, Aditya Thakur; I broke up with him because I had to give more focus on my studies. After the breakup, I prized it as my best decision when he spread rumours in college that he caught me f*****g some other guy and tagged me as a w***e. I cannot stay with a man who doesn't know how to keep his private life private. My second relationship, Rishabh Singh. We were pretty serious about each other, but one day he slapped me for pulling a prank. Self-respect over love.

Lakshya noticed a few of her traits, woman of rules, ambitious, self-respecting and honest.

She looked at him, expecting him to say anything.

'I should leave now'. He said.

Did I scare you? she asked.

Take medicines on time and rest, will see you tomorrow. He preferred shifting topics.

'I'll miss you’, She said before he could open the door.

He turned, smiled and said, "me too."

She saw his car moving away. " I might have scared you, but I just wanted to convey a few things that are more precious to me; I hope you understand”, she said in silence.

 

She delivered every single word in a threatening way. I know she doesn't want to get hurt again but... words fell short to explain his situation to himself. His instinct, a good human, presented him with an option to back off and heart, probably the lousy human, invited him to the world of love with thrill and chaos included in the package for free. He decided to go with his instinct.

 

Why are you getting so late these days? Vaidehi inquired about the arrival of Lakshya.

Work, obviously... what else? Lakshya lied smoothly. Lying has become his habit, and he has mastered it now.

Okay... come give me a hug. Vaidehi said.

They hugged. Lakshya closed his eyes, imagining Richa in his arms. Vaidehi felt the genuine warmth of love but was unaware that it was not for her.

A whistle from the pressure cooker broke the moment.

© 2023 Harsh Kumar Chaudhary


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on March 30, 2023
Last Updated on April 26, 2023