Untitled Chapter 9 (Protector)

Untitled Chapter 9 (Protector)

A Chapter by holly-maria

    “How do I know what you’re telling me is true?” I ask. “How do I know I can trust you?”
    Michael reaches out to me. “Give me your hand.”
    I hesitantly reach out and place my hand in his, feeling a shock go throughout my body, leaving warmth in it’s wake.
    And then it’s like all the lights go out, except when I open my eyes it’s light again and my hand is no longer in Michael’s.
    Looking around, I seem to be standing on the balcony of some sort of castle. Down below, all I can see in a wall, dotted with windows, and big, billowy clouds. Before me, the sun is just on the horizon and above me the sky is a clear blue. It’s beautiful. It reminds me of…Heaven.
    When I look to my right, Michael is standing next to me. He looks…well, he looks like a warrior. He’s wearing some sort of dark armor that cover his torso, chest, shoulders, and the front of his legs. The armor is inscribed with runes. Metal bands go from his wrist to halfway to his elbow. There are huge, dark, feathery wings protruding from his back. The wingspan had to be at least ten or twelve feet.
    For the first time since I’ve met him, there seems to be emotion on his face. He looks troubled, torn, and sad as he looks out over the balcony.
    “You question him.” A deep voice says from behind.
    Michael doesn’t turn to look but I do.
    There’s a man, dressed nearly the same as Michael. He’s nearly as handsome, but looks to be in his late twenties or early thirties. His green eyes show no indication that he even notices I’m here.
    “I question myself.” Michael says quietly, almost to himself. “And so should you.” He had turned his head slightly to talk back to the man, but his gaze never leaves the view before us. “Since their creation, he has taught us only to love.” He shakes his head. “I cannot stop.”
    “They have brought this judgment upon themselves.” The man begins. “With war and greed--with their sins.”
    “They are just lost.” Michael says dismissively, again just turning his head slightly to the side to speak. “It is our ob to show them the way back.”
    I realize that they’re talking about humans. About Gods plan for us.
    “It is our place to obey.” The other corrects.
    Michael closes his eyes for a moment and his jaw flexes. Then he turns to the man to look at him for the first time. “Giving him what he wants will only make him regret it. He loves them Gabriel, just as much as we love him.”
    Gabriel. Archangel Gabriel.
    “There will be nothing but destruction and hate. At least this way, there is some hope left in the world.”
    “This is not your test, Michael.” Gabriel says, his green eyes sparkling as Michael turns back to the view. “How dare you presume to know his heart?”
    “Because he made this one.” He replies, putting a hand over his chest. “He shouldn’t lose faith now. Not yet.”
    “If they cannot come together in a time like this, what makes you think there’s salvation for them?”
    “They haven’t been given a chance.”
    “It’s too late.” Gabriel says with finality. “The order has been given. You will follow them. If you defy him,” He says warningly, “you’ll anger him for the last time.”
    Michael turns to look at him with a solemn expression. “Only if I fail.” And then with one powerful beat of his enormous wings, he’s up over twenty feet in the air before diving down.

***

    I gasp and my eyes fly open. I’m back in my bedroom, yanking my hand away from Michael’s.
    “You see, Lia, he believes that all hope is lost for everyone.” He says. “I need to keep you alive to prove that there are some who aren’t bound by violence and war and hate…so that those people can lead the world out of darkness. That is why I am here to protect you.”


© 2010 holly-maria


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
Added on May 29, 2010
Last Updated on May 29, 2010


Author

holly-maria
holly-maria

Pearl City, HI



About
16 year old living in pearl city hawaii. i'm a summer girl. i like things simple and i hate drama, even though it has its way of finding me. i'm moody during the winter because things are usually fall.. more..

Writing