mutant forces

mutant forces

A Story by howlingwolf
"

mutants versus government(not finished)

"

 

It was escalating into a war and everyone knew it. Even five year old Richie knew it. We had started rallying together our forces, Sharpening our wits and powers. Me, Tiger and a few others were leading the group.  Even though Tiger and I were artificial mutants, meaning we were both born in labs. We were very admired among the natural mutants(someone born with them naturally). Insect, an otherwise normal looking little boy with brown hair and green eyes with the power to summon insects came up to me and tugged on my shirt. I looked down at him. “Will the insects get hurt?” he asked.

I leaned down so that I was at eye level with him “they might, little guy.”

 He frowned. You could tell he was thinking. Finally he replied “I guess if it has to happen.”

I smiled at him. He gave a weak smile and walked away.  I walked around the temporary base camp we had set up. Just about everyone was practicing. Teleport was practicing teleporting. Rhino was transformed into a rhino and ramming his horn into a dummy. That’s when I noticed the stranger behind the tree. As soon as they knew they were spotted. They ran off. I chased after them. Boy were they fast, luckily I was faster. I managed to catch up to them with my raptor like legs. I leapt upon the teenage boy careful not to hurt him.

“Why were you spying on us?” I asked threateningly, my slanted raptor like eyes glistening.

“I was looking for my b-b-brother” he replied hesitantly.

“Your brother?”

“Yes he ran away 6 months ago when things started getting tough. I figured he came here” I felt sympathetic for the guy, but I needed to know if he was telling the truth. Luckily we had a guy in camp who’s power was to tell if someone was lying. Not a very impressive power, however it had it’s uses.  I picked him up, holding tightly to his right arm. I then proceeded to pull the boy toward the edge of the camp.

“Hey, can someone get liar for me?”  I shouted. liar was 26 and  was 6 foot 4 inches tall. he worked out almost constantly to make up for his lackluster power. He had come here to help in the cause.

“Sure I’ll get him” an older girl named flame thrower answered. We waited a few moments. After awhile I asked the boy about his brother.

“so what’s his power?” I asked.

“he can control electronics” he answered.

“ okay, how old is he ?”

“17”

“17 huh” just then flame thrower came back with liar.

“ what ya need?” liar asked.

“ I need your help to see if this boy is lying” I replied.

“sure thing boss” he replied.  “whose the boy?”

“the boy was found spying at the training grounds, he claims he was trying to find his brother. I don’t want to let him see too much of camp till I know he’s telling the truth.”

“I’ll question him fast and true.”

“thanks liar”

He started questioning the boy. at first basic questions; do your parents work for the government(the guys trying to kill and or take our powers away forcibly), whats your name, will you tell the government about us, that sort of thing. Then we asked if he was  telling the truth about his brother. The only two questions he wasn’t in the clear for was that his parents were in government and there was no brother.

            “why are you here?” liar asked.

            “because I am a mutant” he said quietly. I looked at liar. He nodded his head yes. It was true.

“why didn’t you say that in the first place?”  I asked curious.

“ I wanted to see the place first” the boy they now knew as Edward replied.

“once we let you see it, your in.” I told him.

“ really? I mean what about my family and friends?”

“if they live nearby we’ll let you visit”

“I traveled six days to get here” he said grimly

“oh” I replied “well I’m sure you’ll make lot’s of new friends here if you decide to join. By the way what’s your power?”

“ I can control electronics”

“awesome” I replied “we could certainly use you in the fight”

“you really think there’s gonna be a war” he asked

“unless you wanna lose your powers, yeah” I said looking down “needless to say we need all the help we can get. We actually got five year olds here. It’s sad really.” I sighed.

He thought about what I said and finally replied “ I wanna see the camp”

“good to have you aboard, Edward. By the way I’ll be one of your leaders, names raptor.”

“ why does everybody have such strange names around here?”

“well we all chose names related to our powers when we got here, it was just easier. For example I have raptor dna in me, therefore I am part raptor. Therefore the name raptor. That’s also why I look this way”

“you mean with the weird legs and eyes?”

“yeah and they’re not weird, they’re raptor like” I replied

“so, do you look that way all the time?” he asked

“yeah, by the way wanna choose your new name?”

“sure, how about gadget”

 “gadget and gizmo are taken” I replied

“how bout techno?”

“that’s free. From now on your techno. That’s what we’ll introduce you as. Sound good”

“sounds great” he replied enthusiastically.

“great, I’ll show you around camp” I said. “thanks liar, you can go do what you want now.” by this time flamethrower had gone back to training.

“no problem, happy to help.” Liar said as he left.

The first spot In camp I show him are the training grounds. There are flame retardant targets. Hand made straw and clothe dummies and several other types of training tools. the field stood next to a gently flowing stream where we got water that we filtered.

After that I show him the main area. This consists of almost a hundred tents of various sizes. Depending on the tent 1 to 3 people could be sleeping in one. There were coolers around some of the tents that stood at the edge of the large field. The coolers held various types of food and emptied out bags of ice. Several large water coolers were spread around the main camp filled with filtered water. There were some cars that sat unused near a bunch of trees.

“wow, quite a setup you have here” techno said

“thanks, the town Is pretty good to us, but several of the mutants also do jobs for money”

“too bad the government can’t  be that understanding”

“yeah” I replied “but they’re scared, that’s what I think. They’re afraid of our power. That we could use it against them, when all we want, all I want is to be a citizen”

Just then I spotted a helicopter. My raptor dna gave me superior sight. I looked closer at the helicopter. “s**t” I said

            “what” said techno.

            “the government” I answered.

            “what, but I don’t see anything”

            “you wouldn’t, they’re still pretty far away, but they are coming” I said “I gotta warn everyone, come with me”

            “okay” he replied. We walked to the alarm. It was a big bell on a pole with a chain coming down. i pulled on the chain, one, two, three times to get it going. Then a loud chang could be heard throughout camp. Me and techno waited silently for people to come. In minutes we had a group of over 200 surrounding us, Ranging in ages 5 to 30.

There was a steel box next to the alarm on the ground. I leaned down and opened it, inside was a blue and white bullhorn. I picked it up a started speaking.

“people from the government are coming. Now there are only five helicoptors I see, but we have to be on our guard. Everyone continue to act normal but be with your  team. Also make sure to be on alert for signs of trouble. That is all.”

Everyone started going to their groups when techno asked “what about me?”

“oh, I forgot you’re not in a group yet. How bout you hang out in my group?”

“okay” he said as I was putting the bullhorn back. In my group was insect, me, wolf, flame thrower, rhino and liar. Wolf was a thirteen year old boy with the ability to transform into a wolf. His hair was naturally pure white like his wolf form.

© 2010 howlingwolf


Author's Note

howlingwolf
what do you think
what suggestions do you have

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on June 2, 2010
Last Updated on June 2, 2010

Author

howlingwolf
howlingwolf

eau claire, WI



About
i love animal, poetry,videogames, pyrography,painting,doing art in general, and scrapbooking. i have 2 ferrets(frosty and milly) a goldfish and 2 hermit crabs i am a 20 year old female more..

Writing
sungod sungod

A Poem by howlingwolf