Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Thoughts from my little brown journal

Thoughts from my little brown journal

A Story by hoyt
"

Just something I wrote last year. A most wonderful Christmas experience.

"

     I never would have thought I would have spent a Christmas day on this mountaintop, the Chimneys. Nestled in the Great Smokies National  Park,  isolated from the noise and madness.  It is a gorgeous day, sunny, and I only have one shirt on and it Christmas.  There is a wonder all its own as I too am alone and isolated from the typical distractions of this  morning, feeling a kinship with the mountains.  Alone, not lonely.  Not at all. I rather feel full and overflowing  in my soul with the mountains around me and each song sung by feathered carolers. They beautifully sing, echoing in the hollows along the path I  ascended, the creeks and streams giving their steady applause.  Nearing the top I gaze in awe as I look down over a ridge as a hawk soars by speaking it’s own language to the forest.  
     When I arrived at the top two small squirrels met me. One was shy, and the other was not. The shy one bounded to the safety of a tree while the other, he just sat on a root.  He seemed as curious as me , only where I was amused , he seemed agitated, but not afraid.  I got very close, about three feet away, and he seemed to nervously pose each time, but didn’t run. He just bounded from rock to root pausing to see if the curious creature would follow.  I did, for a while. He jumped up on one limb and barked and chattered like crazy while staring at me. Was so cute and funny. I would love to know what he was saying.  He may have been blessing me out!. But I smiled anyway.
     I reached the peak to a breathtaking view. I can see all around, as far as the eye could take me, and see even farther as my dreams carried me.  The peace is unsurpassed. A very comforting tranquility in a frantic world. It is a very fitting atmosphere for Christmas! You can have your angels and elves,  but today I prefer the hawks and squirrels, that and the endless blue sky bordering every horizon I turn to and am silenced by it splendor.
     I feel as though I could reach my hand only slightly and slowly wave, and it would stir the crystal clear waters of heaven itself, and maybe startle a wading angel as I tickle their foot…
Yes. I share this moment in my soul with the earth and life around me, the breeze gently whispering,    "A very merry Christmas."

© 2009 hoyt


The Shadow On My Shoulder
There is an angel who sits upon my shoulder who goes by the name of Death...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You take us with you on a most amazing journey and bring that wonderful element of peace to us as well. I could see it all, feel that sense of freedom, and hear the sounds coming alive. What a remarkable, lifting write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

In reading this, I felt a bit envious. Envious that your experience was one filled with peace, serenity amid a most beautiful surrounding. The way this story is written, you have given the reader a wonderful birds-eye view of these most gloriuos mountains. For someone like me who has never had the pleasure of being in the mountains, you not only shared this wonderful experience. You have made me want to experience. Such a well written story that is a joy to read. We all thank you for sharing your Christmas with us.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 4, 2009

Author

hoyt
hoyt

Rockledge, FL



About
HI!... :-) ".."Look in thy heart and write" is good counsel for poets; but when a poet looks in his heart he finds many things there besides the actual. That is why, and how, he is a poet." ...C.S... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


They Think They Think

A Poem by c.m.