Day 2

Day 2

A Chapter by hquinn
"

Its day two and some bad things happen

"

 

Chapter 2 – Day 2

 

            Waking up the next morning was rough. I hadn’t slept long enough or well enough. I was startled awake by my screaming alarm and instantly felt like I hadn’t slept at all. Laying my head back on my pillow, I contemplate playing hooky and staying in bed. Sitting around the house starts sounding better and better when I remember that it is not just school I have to with now but Damien as well. Groaning, I roll over and pull the covers over my head and close my eyes, trying to block the image of him that is trying to fight its way into my mind.

           

Realizing that it’s pointless to just lie there, I pull myself out of bed. Following my normal morning routine, I grab my bathroom bag and open my door. As I am walking to my bathroom, I hear an unfamiliar voice coming from downstairs. I shake my head, knowing that my mother has brought home another man and continue on. Knowing there is a man here with my mom had my decision about staying home. I would rather go to school than deal with the awkwardness of meeting the guy she picked up last night.

           

Once I am dressed in my usual faire, I take a deep breath trying to prepare myself for the scene downstairs. Walking down the stairs, I remember all the other guys that mom has brought home and expect to see other just the others. They are normally rough around the edges and completely wrong for her, the kind of guys that won’t stick around. I think that’s why she chose them, her way of coping with what happened to my dad.

           

Instead, when I walk around the corner into the kitchen, I lock eyes with the second most beautiful eyes I’ve ever seen. Damien immediately flashes into my mind and when my head clears, I take in the man standing with his arms wrapped around my mom’s waist. He is tall with dark brown hair, deep green eyes, a perfectly beautiful face and very well dressed, which is extremely different for mom.

           

From my mother I hear, “Good morning, Lessy. This is Lucas; I met him last night at the new karaoke bar.”

           

I smile and very politely say, “Good morning.”

           

Not wanting to hang out in the kitchen, I guzzle down a glass of orange juice for breakfast and head into the living room to get my back pack. I look at the couch which is still slightly disheveled from my dream and a shiver takes me over as I remember the creepy feeling I had for most of the night. I shake it off and grab my bag, suddenly needing to be out of the house.

 

I look at the clock as I start my car and realize that I will probably be the first one to the school. I shrug figuring that I’ll just sit in the car and catch up on the homework that I never did last night. Driving down the road, I try to concentrate, afraid of where my mind would wonder to if I didn’t. When I pull in the parking lot I am surprised to see another car already there, one that I don’t recognize. After I park the car, I turn the music up and grudgingly pull out the math work that I didn’t finish in class yesterday. I got engrossed in the numbers and the music and don’t hear the tapping on my window and when I finally do notice that there’s someone outside my car, I just out of my seat. Looking out my window I see Damien standing right next to my car. I roll down my window so I can see what he wants.

 

“Yes, Damien?” I ask nicely.

 

He replies, just as politely, “Good morning Lessy. I saw your car and was just curious as to why you were here so early.”

 

Nodding to my books, I answer, “I wanted to catch up on some homework. What about you?”

 

He looks at me, puzzled, as if trying to decide if I’m telling the truth. He looks around the parking lot before giving me an answer, “Wanted to take the chance to learn the layout of the school. You know, get to know my way around the place. Would you care to join me? I was just going to walk around for a bit, see all the different areas.”

 

I look at him, surprised, “Sure,” was the answer that stumbled out of my mouth. I open my car door to get out which he quickly takes from my hand. I cut the car off, snatching the keys from the ignition and climbing out of the car.

 

He asks, eyes my books, “Do you want to grab your book bog and bring it with”

 

I smile at him and answer, “No, I’ll come back for it before class starts, we still have thirty minutes.”

 

I follow his lead as he starts to walk towards the school, trying to collect myself. I notice that he’s talking and is extremely embarrassed that I haven’t heard a word he’s said.

 

“What was that,” I ask trying not to sound to out of it.

 

“I ask you how long have you lived here,” He turns and smiles at me, catching my eyes and leaving me breathless.

 

Damn those eyes, I think as I try to think of the answer to his question, “I’ve lived here for about four years.”

 

“Why did you move here,” he asks next

 

Talking about the earlier times in this place was still hard for me, “My father got a job here so we came.”

 

Continuing with the questions, “And where is your dad now?”

 

“Ummm, he died about a year after we moved here,” I answer quietly. It was apparently at this answer that he decides to take the conversation in a new direction.

 

“You seem to have a lot of friends here,” he says.

 

I laugh and say, “Not really. I don’t really like to get too close to people, I have Andrew and Jessica. That’s about it. That’s why my mother was so happy when you and Carolina showed up yesterday morning. She thinks that you would be good friends for me.” I realize here that I said too much and feel the pink hue of a blush climb up my face.

 

He smiles, watching my face, “Really. I thought she was just overtaken my good looks.”

 

Glad for the lightening of the mood, I smile and say, “Oh I’m sure she was, I know I was.” My blush deepens when I see him smirk at my remark. We continue walking, letting silence take place of the conversation as we walk about the main building to the back of the school. I glance over at him and see him staring at me. Startled, I ask, “What? Why are you staring at me?”

 

He quickly looks away and answers, “It’s nothing.”

I stop walking when we’re at the practice field for the soccer team and sit down on the bleachers. He quietly sits down next to me. I stare out at the field lost in my thoughts; the conversation has made me think of my dad. Not wanting it to, a tear slowly slides down my cheek. I close my eyes, trying to stop the tears and whip away the one still falling down my face. I shake my head thinking it’s stupid to still be so upset after three years.

 

His soft voice asks from beside me, “What did I say?”

 

I shake my head, knowing my voice isn’t strong enough to answer. I try to push the memories away. We sit there for almost five minutes, him just sitting there very still and quiet, me rocking slightly and trying to calm myself down. I take a deep breath and decide to test my voice.

 

“I’m sorry.” I say quietly.

 

He looks at me somberly and replies, “You have nothing to be sorry for. But what did I say that upset you.”

 

I smile waveringly and answer, “You asked about my father. I don’t talk about it often and most people have learned that I don’t react well to it.”

 

He looks away from me and says, “I apologize for that, I really didn’t mean to upset you that way.”

 

I shake my head in response, “No its ok. It’s probably good for me to think about it sometimes. It’s just a rare thing that it hit me kind of strongly.” I glance at my watch and realize it’s almost time for school to start.

 

“Let’s head back; I’ve got to get my back pack before school starts.” I remind him.

 

The walk back is much quieter. Damien simply looks forward as we walk, seemingly lost in thought.

 

When we’re almost back to my car, I say, “I’m sorry that I ruined you exploring.”

 

He smiles at me, too sweetly and says, “It’s perfectly fine. To be honest, I enjoyed getting to know you, Lessy. It’s been….interesting.”

 

We reach my car and he opens my door to let me grab my back pack. I smile at him and ask, “Walk to class with me?”

 

Seeming nervous now, he responds, “Actually I need to see Caroline before I go. But I’ll see you shortly.”

 

Nodding, I pull back my hand that has grabbed my back and move to shut my car door. I turn around to begin walking to class and he’s close, so close to me now. I shudder, startled by his presence in such close proximity. He smiles at my reaction to his closeness. Taking a step back, he takes my hand and lightly kisses the top of it before turning around and walking away. I lean back against the car, trying to calm my heartbeat. I hate the reaction I have to him and know I need to get it under control.

 

I take a deep breath and walk into the school. Wanting to avoid Andrew for the moment, I rush to my locked to put away the books I wouldn’t need right away and then off to class. Sitting in normal desk in my first class, I pull out my Biology book and look over the chapter that we’re supposed to be going over today. Concentrating on the book and what I’m reading, I don’t notice it when someone sits down in the seat next to me. I look up when the bell rings and see Damien sitting next to me watching me study the book. He looks away just as I catch his eyes and I look forward as the teacher walks in. She walks in toting a TV rack behind her, once she has settled in with the rack and her things, she says, “Today, I’m giving you kids a little break. We’re going to watch a movie on biological warfare. So settle in, you won’t need your books or anything else today. Just sit back and enjoy the video.”

 

I slide the book back into my bag and settle back in my seat to watch the video. Once again I get that creepy feeling that I have eyes on my, only this time, I know who those eyes belong to and I don’t really mind them being on me. I lean forward, putting my elbows on my desk and resting my head in my heads. I’m enjoying the break from the normal strictness of this class but having the time is allowing my mind to wander. First, it wanders to my dream last night and growl of possession that was the last thing I heard before waking up. It surprises me that it doesn’t hover there for long and the walk with Damien this morning takes over. I enjoyed talking with him but the reaction that his presence elicits from me may not be a good thing. No one has had that kind of effect of me before and I wasn’t sure if I liked it. And always in the back of my mind is whether or not I should allow someone else into my life. That’s always a testy thing, I constantly feel like my testing any control over the “sight” when I add someone new to the mix that is my life. The last thing my mind touches on is moment at my car when he was so close to me and the feeling that it gave me. I look over at Damien and lock eyes with him, knowing in that instant that I want him in my life, though I was still very unsure of in what capacity.

 

The lights come on as the teacher ends the movie and says, “Okay class, we’ll finish this up tomorrow, that should be a good way to end the week. I’ll see you all tomorrow.” She has perfect timing as the bell rings as soon as she’s finished talking.

 

Damien is up and out of the room before I can even grab my bag and stand up. I shake my end, confused my him. I begin to wonder if I have done something to upset him or if maybe our somewhat heavy conversation this morning was a little too much too soon for him. I get up and walk to my next class in a daze. When I walk in I see him sitting in the seat next to mine and I try to not stare as I take my seat. For the next hour and a half, I don’t even glance at him. I look forward at the teacher or down at my book, answering any question she asks, determined to not let myself be distracted by him. When the class is over, I grab my bag and walk out, not looking at him.

I meet Andrew out and say, “Hey Andrew, how’s your day going,” much more cheerfully than necessary when I hear Damien come up behind us.

 

Andrew smiles in surprise and answers, “Good, glad to see you’re in a good mood. Are you ready to go to lunch?” He holds his arms out to take my books. I hand them to him and then follow him down the hall to my locker. I put my books up and then follow Andrew to the lunchroom. We follow through the line, the same as the day before and take out normal seats with Sara. Like yesterday, I just push my food around the plate, not eating anything. I start to wonder if I’m getting sick or something. Today though, I actually pay attention to their conversation. They’re talking about the trip that the three of us were planning to take to the mountains in two weeks. It’s been a tradition for the past two years. It’s my favorite part of the school year actually. We stay up all night in front of the fire, watching movies and having a few drinks. It’s a lot of fun. I smile, looking forward to the trip.

 

I ask, “So who’s driving this time? I did it last year; it’s someone else’s turn.” They both look at my kind of surprised. Andrew gets even more excited now that I’m showing some interest in this year’s trip and answers, “I’ll drive. It’s going to be so much fun this year.”

 

The rest of lunch is spent planning out our trip. We set plans to leave early so that we get up there early and enjoy the trip longer. I’m surprised to find that I’m really looking forward to the trip. My mom used to worry about me going with Andrew but she’s gotten much more comfortable as she’s gotten to know him. Now she actually likes that we go away and I think that’s because when I come home I’m happy and carefree, the way I used to be. I hop up when the bell rings, suddenly in a much better mood. Andrew walks me to my next class, talking nonstop about the trip which only adds to my enthusiasm. I give Andrew a quick hug when we get to the classroom which is something that I rarely do. As my arms wrapped around him, I see Damien coming up behind us, his eyes bearing into me. I quickly let go and walk into the classroom, taking my seat

 

Once again, the teacher has us pair up and continue to discuss the book. I turn my seat to face Damien, like the day before. I don’t look at him as the teacher tells up to begin our discussion.

           

He says quietly, “What was your favorite part?”

 

I reply, trying to sound as normal as possible, “When Dracula is discovered and they decide to go after him. Yours?”

           

He answers, smiling softly, “When he begins to take control of all the young women.”

           

I shutter as he says this and can’t seem to look at him. I ask the question this time, “What was your least favorite part of the book?”

           

He answers, “Well that would be the same as your favorite part. He had kept himself so well hidden for so long and then in such a small amount of time, he gives it all up.”

           

I realize for the first time that throughout the entire conversation he hasn’t looked at me in the eye once. I’m curious about this as I ask, “Why can’t you look at me?”

           

He answers quietly, “It's nothing.”

 

            He shakes his head as if trying to rid himself of a disturbing thought.

           

“Okay whatever. Who was your favorite character?” I reply

           

He answers my question, rather honestly, “Lucy. She gave herself over to the desires she felt for the Count. I also love the way the author builders her up. For the time that the book takes place in, she was very in tune with her sexuality.”

 

I nod, slightly blushing, not sure what to say.

 

He smiles, seeming a little more like himself and asks, “Does that answer surprise you?”

 

I shake my head and say, “No, not really, I think that’s probably the same answer that most guys would give. And I agree to a certain degree, mainly with the last part. I have a different view on her sexuality though.”

 

The conversation goes on like that for the rest of the class. When the bell rings, I turn my seat forward and grab my books. When I am almost to the door, he grabs my arm to stop me.

 

I turn to look at him and ask, “Yes, Damien? Did you need something?”

 

He smiles that sweet smile of his and says, “I just wanted to tell you to have a good day and see if you wanted to go exploring with me again tomorrow morning.”

 

I shake my head and say, “I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

 

He nods and asks, “Can I ask why?”

 

I take my arm from his hand and answer, “I just don’t think that we should get any close. It wouldn’t be a good idea.”

 

He steps back from me and says, “Okay, I understand. If you change your mind, let me know. I’d love to get to know you better.”

 

He turns his back and walks away.

 

I shake my head and hope that I made the right decision. My life is calm right now and I don’t want to do anything that would upset that. I walk into my next class with my head full of uncertainty. Andrew immediately notices that my mood is very different from my mood at lunch. He doesn’t say anything until after class starts. The teacher is allowing us to work in pairs today if we want.

 

Andrew gets my attention and asks, “Is everything okay Lessy? You seem really upset.”

 

I smile softly at him and say, “You know Andrew, no I’m not. Right now I could really use a good friend and some distractions. Do you want to do something tonight? I’ll ask Sara and maybe we hang out and watch movies or something.”

 

He replies, excitedly, “I’d love to. Sara has plans with her parents, though.”

 

My smile wavers a little, not sure if it’s a good idea to spend that kind of time with him alone.

 

“I don’t know, Andrew, I don’t want it to be weird,” I reply hesitantly.

 

He smiles and answers confidently, “It won’t be weird Lessy. I promise I’ll be good. I know that you don’t like me like that.”

 

I smile back at him instantly feeling better about it and say, “Okay. I’ll give you a call when I get home and can hang out.”

 

We work for the rest of the hour, concentrating on the math problems. When the bell rings, we leave class together, both of us in a very good mood. The rest of the school day passes quickly and I’m happy when I realize that Damien hasn’t crosses my mind since the end of English. I convince myself that if I can just make it through this evening without thinking about him, then I’ll be ok.

 

When I get home, there’s a not waiting for me from my mother.

 

            Lessy,

I’m going out with Lucas tonight. I don’t know when I’ll be home but it’ll be late so don’t wait up.

                        Love,

                                    Mom

 

            Well, that’s a good thing I think to myself, grateful that I won’t have to deal with seeing my mom hang all over Lucas. I pick up the phone to order a pizza and then call Andrew. When he answers, I say, “Come on over and bring a good movie, I’ve got pizza on the way.” I hang up and head upstairs to get a little more comfortable. As I walk into my room, the same creepy feeling comes over me as the night before. With every step I take I feel like there’s a pair of eyes on me. I am so shaken that I grab the clothes I want to change into and go into the bathroom to change. I change into a pair of sweatpants and a tee-shirt.

 

            By the time I’m done changing, the doorbell is ringing. I run down the stairs and am pleased to see the delivery guy standing with Andrew. He politely pays for the pizza and walks inside. We walking into the living room and I see him looking at me, a little more intently that necessary.

 

Trying to get his attention off of me, I ask, “So what movie did you bring?”

 

He smiles, turning his attention to the box in his hands and answers, “You seemed kind of down so I wanted to bring something funny.”

 

Nodding, I grab a piece of pizza and watch as Andrew puts the movie in. He sits down next to my on the couch and snatches a piece of the pizza for himself. We both sit back to watch the movie. About halfway through the move, he starts to move closer to me on the couch. When I notice this, I get up under the pretense of getting us something to drink, all the while thinking that inviting Andrew alone was not the best idea, regardless of his assurances. Grabbing us drinks and heading back into the living room, I dread the conversation that needs to come. I make the decision, when I sit down on the couch that we need to talk about things after the movie. For the next hour, we sit quietly as the movie finishes.

 

When it’s over, I turn to him and pulling a pillow onto my lap say, “Andrew we need to talk.”

 

He nods and replies, “Yes we do. What’s on your mind?”

 

Pulling the pillow closer I answer, “You are such a good friend to me and have helped me through so much. But you seem to be having a problem handling that I don’t want anything other than friendship from you.”

 

I take a deep breath and look at him, waiting for his response.

 

He hangs his head and says, “Lessy, we’ve been friends for a long time and I don’t want to lose your friendship but I think you should give me a chance. I could be really good for you.”

 

Not quite sure how to respond to what he’s saying, I look down and play with the pillow in my lap, trying to get my thoughts together. When my eyes look up, his face is right in front of me and then he’s kissing me. I put my hands on his chest, trying to push him away but he takes it for encouragement and tries to lie me back on the couch. Pounding on his chest I try to make him stop, he finally pulls back from me and I try to slide out from under his hands. He tries to pull me towards him again but this time I manage to wrangle away from him. Pulling myself up off the couch, I wrap my arms around myself and realize that I’ve been crying.

 

 Andrew stands up and steps towards me, I put my hands up and say, “Get out Andrew. Just leave.” He shakes his head and takes another step to me, reaching his hand out to touch my face. When I flinch away from him, he slaps my face, hard and says, “You should have given me a chance.”

 

I stumble back and fall onto the chair behind me. Andrew glares at me and then turns around and walks away. I hear the front door slam close and sink back into the chair, trying not to fall to pieces. Not able to move, I sit there replaying the afternoon in my head and wandering what I could have done differently. It’s not until I hear the front door open that I realize that I’ve been sitting there for hours, not moving. Mom walks into the living room and cuts on the light, gasping when sees me there, curled up on the chair. Running to me, she kneels down in front of me and touches my hand. I jerk and turn my head to her. When she sees my bruised cheek she reaches up to touch my face.

 

She asks quietly, “What happened, Lessy?”

 

I shake my head, not wanting to say aloud the things that happened.

 

She says again, “Come on hunny. You can tell me.”

 

I not and turn to face and answer, “Andrew….”

 

Her eyes widen in shock and she waits for me to continue.

 

“I needed to hang out with a friend so I invited him over for pizza and a movie, Sara couldn’t come, so it was just going to be me and him. I know he wants to be more than friends but I thought I had made it clear that I didn’t. He said he understood.”

 

Mom sits back on the floor and listens intently. My hands start to fidget as I continue.

 

“We watched the movie and I started to notice that he was trying to get closer to me. I told him that we needed to talk. I wanted to let him know one more time that I didn’t want him that way and that if he couldn’t accept that then we couldn’t be friends anymore.”

 

I shiver as I remember what happened next and curled tighter into my ball before I went on.

 

“I don’t really know what happened next, he was just on top of me, kissing me, trying to force me back onto the couch. I managed to get away from him and when I told me to leave he hit me.”

 

I look away from her, embarrassed. She wraps her arms around me, comfortingly and a whole new emotion comes over me, surprise. She has never been a mother that was good at comforting and showing love. We sit there for a little while before I realize that I’m exhausted. Peeling her arms from around me, I stand up. She gets her first good look of my face and says, “Hun, maybe you should stay home tomorrow.”

 

I nod and say, “Maybe. We’ll see.”

 

When I pass the kitchen as I’m going to the stairs, I see Lucas in there making tea on the stove. He smiles at me and I continue up the stairs. I look at the bathroom as I turn to go into my room and realize that I need to go to the bathroom before trying to sleep. When I’m done I wash my hands and face then open the cabinet and pull the bottle of medicine that there, knowing that I need a night of dreamless sleep.

 

            I spend the rest of the night, passed out in my bed, getting the best night sleep I’ve have in a while.



© 2009 hquinn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on July 14, 2009


Author

hquinn
hquinn

Concord , NC



About
I am in college and work full time. I have been writing for a long time and with a lot of the things that have happened in my life and I think writing has always been an outlet for me. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Book by hquinn


Marked Marked

A Chapter by hquinn


Marked Marked

A Book by hquinn