Bridges

Bridges

A Chapter by Emy

               My fingers curl around the cold, metal railing. Taking a deep, stilted breath in through my nose, I clench my eyes shut. It’s late November, that time of the year when the sun sets around six, so the park is deserted. With how cold it has been lately, it’s highly unlikely that there would have been many people here even in the daytime, but I suppose it’s better to be safe than sorry.

I can’t afford to overthink this, or else I’ll once again lose my nerve and back out.  No, I just need to do it, get it over with. The longer I stay, the harder things get.

               This is for the best.

               The faces of my mother, Wren, Logan flash across my mind, but I quickly push them away, blinking back tears. I definitely cannot think about them right now or let my emotions get the best of me.

               This is for the best. They’re better off this way.

               With shaking arms and legs, I begin to mount the railing. Looking down at the icy water beneath, my heart lunges into my throat, pulsating. Still, I bend my knees, preparing myself to jump off the ledge

Suddenly, hand roughly grabs my shoulder, pulling me down.

With a jump I turn around to face Logan. His dark eyes are a mixture of fear and anger, tears streaming down his cheeks. His hand, still gripped tightly on my shoulder, trembles. My mouth is open, but I can’t force any words out. To my own embarrassment, I feel tears of my own form in my eyes, and I look down from his stare. For the longest time we stand there in silence, shivering in the frigid evening air. Then he pulls me into him and holds me for the longest time.

“D****t, Kallie,” he whispers over and over again in my ear. “D****t.” Still unable to say anything, I let out a sob that causes my entire body to shake. Logan just continues to hold me, and eventually gently leads me to where his father’s dented old car is parked.

After helping me into the passenger seat, Logan slides behind the wheel, but he doesn’t start the car.  

“Kip,” he mutters, looking down at his knees, “why do you keep doing this?”

               “I’m sorry Logan. I’m not trying to hurt anyone,” I say, my voice cracking.

               “Well, for God’s sake, what the hell do you expect?!” Logan slams his fist into the wheel. He’s facing me now, his eyes fiery and face flushed. “You think that we’re all going to be able to go on just fine with life with you gone? You don’t think your family, your friends, I’m not going to be torn up by this? That every day won’t be hell without you?” Logan is now in tears again, and his voice softens. “God, you don’t realize it, Kallie. You don’t realize how much you’re needed. How much you matter.”

               “Logan, I can’t do this anymore,” I whisper, looking down at my lined wrists. “I’m sorry.”

               He reaches over and gently places a hand over the scars. “Kallie, I love you. Please, let me help you.”

               “If there was a way to help myself,” I breathe, “don’t you think I would have done it? If there was another way, don’t you think I would have taken it?”

               “Maybe there is, Kip,” Logan says. “But maybe it’s something that someone else needs to do. Not you. Maybe you need to let someone else help you for once.”

               “I’m not going to be sent away and locked up,” I say, my voice shaking.

               “But what if that’s what you need?” Logan asks, unable to look into my eyes.

               “Logan,” I beg. “Please. You wouldn’t.” I have to get out of this car. I reach for the handle, but Logan clicks the lock and starts the engine.

               “Kallie, I will call the police if I have to. Please stay in this car.”

               “Where are you taking me?” I demand. But Logan doesn’t respond as he begins to accelerate forward. It’s not as if I need him to anyway; I already know the answer.

               “Logan,” I sob, “please, I’m begging you. Don’t do this.”

               “Kallie, I love you.”

               In a moment consisting of pure panic and adrenaline, I unlock my door and hurl myself out of the moving car. Landing roughly on the curb, the wind is knocked out of me as my hands scrape the pavement. Still, I quickly get up and begin to run as I hear Logan’s car screech to a halt behind me.

               I wouldn’t consider myself to be a very fast runner. In fact, back in gym class I was usually one of the last people to finish the choice run. But now, even despite the sharp pain that shoots throughout my body with each step, I know that I’m making good time. That is, until once again Logan grabs my arm and forces me to a stop.

               It probably wasn’t the best idea to try to outrun the state cross-country champion.



© 2015 Emy


Author's Note

Emy
Again, this may be a bit rough, so feel free to offer any suggestions for improvement

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Excellent start. I will love to read the rest of this chapter. I would suggest that in some places that you add in a conjunction, however. I was confused by the sentence, "The faces of my mother, Wren, Logan flash across my mind." I thought maybe your mother had two names, haha. I highly suggest you name your book as well! I almost didn't read it because it doesn't seem to have a name yet. Same with the chapter too. Anyway, keep on keeping on.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh wow! This is very good. There is a good amount of showing instead of telling. As with any work, aim to make your writing clear and concise. This is very intriguing. You have a very good foundation here. I anxiously await the next installments! Keep up the good work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oooooo I like it! It's an amazing start, I'm already hooked!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent start. I will love to read the rest of this chapter. I would suggest that in some places that you add in a conjunction, however. I was confused by the sentence, "The faces of my mother, Wren, Logan flash across my mind." I thought maybe your mother had two names, haha. I highly suggest you name your book as well! I almost didn't read it because it doesn't seem to have a name yet. Same with the chapter too. Anyway, keep on keeping on.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
3 Reviews
Added on November 28, 2015
Last Updated on December 21, 2015
Tags: YA, suicide, realistic, fiction, Kallie, Logan


Author

Emy
Emy

SD



About
Just attempting to tell a story more..

Writing
He Called Me Kip He Called Me Kip

A Book by Emy