Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Megan Ashley Huband

Chapter 2

 

“I will not tolerate this any longer!” The elderly woman screamed as she made her way down the sweeping staircase of the foyer. The dark wood blended nicely with the burgundy of the carpet that covered the staircase along with the smooth dark wood of the railing. The woman’s strikingly grey hair was pinned back into a tight bun, the lines around her mouth and eyes more apparent as the annoyed look on her face grew. She was rather quick coming down the staircase for a woman of her advanced years and she reached the foyer in very little time; one of the maid’s following closely behind her.

 

“What do you mean, Mrs. Hannigan?” The maid stumbled down the last couple of stairs to try and catch up to the nanny. 

 

“I cannot control those children…they are impossible.” The woman did not turn to the maid as she continued to make her way toward her living quarters on the east wing of the large mansion. The hallways a dark trim with cream colored walls. Mirrors and several small stables sat scattered along the length with random trinkets of every kind. “I will no longer put up with their abuse and horrible lack of manners.”

 

“But you must, Mrs. Hannigan. You are their nanny.” The maid scolded the woman but immediately regretted it when she came to a sudden holt, nearly causing the younger woman to run into her.

 

“Those children belong in a zoo…perhaps Mr. Haynes should be hiring a zookeeper.” The older woman turned to meet the maid’s questioning gaze baring down on her as if to dare her to object. “Impossible. I leave this evening.” Mrs. Hannigan immediately turned away from the maid to enter her room slamming the door behind her and causing the maid to jump in surprise.

 

“Mr. Haynes is not going to be happy about this.” The maid mumbled as she made her way back down the hall toward the foyer. This was the third tutor or well…nanny…that those children had run off. What they needed was someone defiant…someone not so old that they couldn’t handle the rascals.

 

~

 

Another week passed, Evelyn had gone on several interviews for tutoring positions but most found her to be too young and too inexperienced. Her resume was impressive of course which gave them an excuse that she may be too qualified for such a job. Either way, the search had proven to be disappointing.

 

“Listen, Miss Winchester. You seem to be a very nice young woman…” The man behind the desk rested his arms on the top of the surface interlacing his fingers as he leaned forward. Evelyn sat rod straight in one of the chairs before the desk, her small purse perched on her knees as her small smile began to fade. “…but you have no experience with teaching or tutoring for that matter.”

 

“Yes but I volunteered back in the States…I worked with children there and I also had to do some teaching. It wasn’t much but I know what I am doing.” Evelyn was beginning to feel desperate as she sat in the unemployment office trying to let this man know that she could do this job just fine.

 

“I understand but this family has asked for someone with extensive experience.” An apologetic look formed on his face as he did his best to return the small smile, his English accent strong as he spoke.

 

“Is there anything else? Please…can you check again.” The brunette pleaded. All attempts so far had been useless when trying to do this on her own which is what brought her into this office that day.

 

“Well…” The man began sitting back in his chair to glance down at the sheets of paper scattered along the surface of the small desk. “…I may have something that you can try. Actually, they have specifically asked for someone younger but they did prefer someone with experience.”

 

“May I ask the details of the job?” Evelyn replied curiosity getting the best of her as she shifted on the edge of the seat.

 

“Well…it is actually a nanny position but some tutoring would be required. It’s three children…a single father. You would need to take care of the children as well as help them with their school work…nothing extensive it seems.” The man explained.

 

“I’ll take it! I can do that…nothing extensive.” Evelyn replied a bit more eager then she had intended.

 

The man glanced back up at her with an eyebrow raised but continued to study her. “It would require you to move to their estate in Oxford. Do you have ties here in London that would prevent your relocation?”

 

Evelyn was taken by surprise. A what? Relocated? She would have to live with them? “Um…no…no I don’t.” She answered honestly.

 

“Very well then. I will let the family know immediately. They will want you to start work on Monday.” The man replied as he began to make notes on one of the papers in front of him.

 

“Well…isn’t there an interview or something…with the family?” Evelyn was once again taken by surprise. Why would they hire someone right out? Perhaps there was more to this position then what was being told?

 

“You have just had your interview, Miss Winchester. Their request was simple and you seem more then eager to take on the position. You are young and bright…I think you will do well. Here is their address…” He handed her a small business card with the contact information that was needed as well as the address. “…you will be expected there bright and early Monday morning. I suggest packing lightly.”

 

Evelyn glanced down at the small card in her hand. The name Brandon Haynes printed above the address and contact information. That name seemed very familiar to her but she couldn’t quiet place it. Oxford was only about an hour out of town or well…Wheatley was a bit out of Oxford and closer to London. Evelyn had been living in the UK long enough to know her geography of the country. “Thank you very much.” She slowly stood to once again shake the man’s hand before she exited the office.



© 2016 Megan Ashley Huband


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

61 Views
Added on October 17, 2016
Last Updated on October 17, 2016


Author

Megan Ashley Huband
Megan Ashley Huband

Jersey City, NJ



About
My name is Megan. I have always been interested in writing and I have written quite a few pieces over the last several years. Most people would not consider me very creative although most don't get to.. more..

Writing