A Group of Delinquents and Their Glorious Obsession With Charades

A Group of Delinquents and Their Glorious Obsession With Charades

A Chapter by Hugo Kiely

I, Charles J. Walker, am a proud member of the Guacamole with Ground Coriander Poetry Society. Granted, I’m also the only member of said poetry society, but all great movements start small.

   Guacamole is the superior condiment. It can be eaten with chips, burritos, toast. But the key to making the perfect guac is ground coriander. I added it on a whim a few years ago. Up until then I had been producing barely subpar guacamole which brought me no joy whatsoever to consume. But all it took was that one sprinkle of coriander and my life was forever changed. That is why I dedicate every piece of poetry I write to it, for it is my constant source of inspiration and creativity, my rock.

   My poetry is utterly unremarkable in almost every regard, however, so I suppose I'm not doing guacamole any favours with my tributes. I write about the sky, the ocean, myself, but try as I might my poems always end up sounding dull and clichéd. They please Professor Jenner, my bumbling, trench coat-donning English teacher, but not the brutally harsh poetry critic that manifests my brain. I've thoughtfully named him Rasputin after the annoying yet strangely endearing 2008 pop classic, Ra Ra Rasputin. 

   Despite the obvious signs that hint that I was simply not born to be a poet, I've developed quite an affinity for writing them. I liken my situation to that of a tone-deaf opera singer, or a blind bird watcher. 

     The Guacamole with Ground Coriander Poetry Society will not be another pretentious club, however. It will be bursting with artistic intellectuals that challenge societal norms and stereotypes. We will stay up late and write poems about the infinite void, and the meaning of life, only to discover that there is no such thing, and we all exist simply because. 

     The only flaw to my plan is the process of actually finding such people. And as a person with a painfully obvious lack of popularity, I'm afraid that the GWGC might remain a figment of my imagination for the rest of time.



© 2019 Hugo Kiely


Author's Note

Hugo Kiely
some constructive criticism on the plot would be greatly appreciated :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

15 Views
Added on November 30, 2019
Last Updated on December 1, 2019
Tags: book, dark academia, contemporary, literature


Author

Hugo Kiely
Hugo Kiely

United Kingdom



About
My name is Hugo and I am 14 years old. My favourite books are Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (cliché, I know). more..

Writing