Mobius

Mobius

A Story by i.am.the.sun.
"

So this was a writing experiment I issued myself. -write a story that makes sense if you read it again right after itself as a continuous story.

"
“What is it dad?”
“Listen to me, boy, I don’t have a long time left here. Don’t make the same mistakes I did.”
“What mistakes were those?”
“There were plenty, and they were petty.”
“What were they?” 
“Just listen, don’t be a part of the scenery, live in it. Don’t be the squeaky wheel, be the grease. Don’t put your job ahead of your family, ever. Don’t say no to love, it might be the last time you’re given the chance to. Don’t trade your vacation for an extra paycheque, go see the world, even if it’s just a small part of it. Let people change you, let the world change you. Open your chest and kiss deep. Let every kiss linger and remember the colour of her eyes. Never turn down a dance, even if you don’t know the music. Life is temporary, spend every moment living it or you’ll wish you did.”
“I will, papa, I will try.” 
----
“Yes! Again! I never get tired of roller coasters!// I’ll do another shot if you do another one, okay?// Who wants to go rafting?// I WISH I could go skydiving, it’s just don’t have enough money yet// So, I don’t know about you, but I had a really nice time with you at the show, you were beautiful. Can I cook you dinner sometime?// Okay, I understand, but if working here means I can’t have the time off to spend beautiful weekends like this at the prime of my life with my friends then I don’t think I want to work here// I love you like the ocean loves the coast// Whatever, not having a car isn’t really that bad, I’ll get it fixed when I get the money// Babe, it’s incredible over here! I really think you would like it, you should come with me, we could start a life!// It’s fine, we’ll probably get some money as a wedding gift so that will pay for the catering// Have you seen the garden yet? It’s loaded! We’re going to have tomatoes and squash for dinner all summer!// Do you think we should tell your parents?// I don’t know, I kind of like the other name// I didn’t get the raise. They said I don’t speak the language well enough to warrant the position// I don’t know, sticking to cloth diapers is all we can budget// Have you thought about going back to school?// What happened to us? We used to be sexy and have fun, other couples would look at use with jealousy// What do you mean I’m being replaced? This is all I know!// I’ll walk him to school, you’ve got exams to study for.// I know things are tight, but you’re almost finished your degree and I’m going to start another job next week, this one should stick.// Who’s Grant? The guy who’s been helping you study?// Look kiddo, I know it’s going to be different, but you’re going to live with mom, okay? I’ll come visit when I can until I get a better job, then you can visit your dad, okay? I love you like the coast loves the ocean.// What do you mean stress raises the chances? Why can’t you operate?// Look, I know, yeah. Yeah, I’ve had a few beers but listen, I just wanted to tell you I’m sorry. It’s all messed up and I should have taken better care of you guys and, I know, listen, I should have taken better care of you guys but I didn’t and I’m sorry and I hope he gives you two a better life than I could. I miss you.// Only a few more weeks?// Yeah, the doc says just a couple more days. Can I see our son? I’m scared not knowing if I’ll see him again.” 
“What is it dad?”
“Listen to me, buddy, it’s going to be a little while before we see each other again, but we will see each other, okay?
“Okay.”
“Now, before I go, I want to tell you something.
“What’s that?”
“Don’t make the same mistakes I did.”
“What sort of mistakes?”
“It’s okay to take a backseat, sometimes you don’t want all the attention. Don’t be the squeaky wheel, be the one driving the cart. Put effort into your job, no one likes a slacker. Your family will always love you, they’ll understand if you have to work late to keep food on the table, it’s better than them going hungry. Don’t get caught up with love too quick, you’ve got your whole life ahead of you and you should take time while you’re young to prepare for it. Work an extra job while you’ve got the time, the countries you want to see will still be there when you’re old. Remember who you are, be true to yourself. Don’t let other people change you if you don’t fit their lifestyle. Always be the one to end a kiss, her wanting more is better than her having had enough. Learn the music before you dance, unpreparedness doesn’t look good on anybody. Life is temporary, we are all mortal, so take care of yourself or you’ll wish you did.”
“Okay dad, I will try.” 
----
“I don’t know, I heard someone got hurt on it once, and besides I barely have enough for ice cream later.// Nah, thanks, I’m just having a beer and then going home// hey, mom, what does this line mean on my T4?// No, thanks, I’m busy this weekend seeing a speaker about stock analysis// Jey, I saw you staring at me in the meeting. I know it’s not half as nice as you but the view from my room is pretty beautiful this time of night.// Sorry guys, maybe I’ll make the game next time, boss wants me to work this weekend// Babe, I will buy you anything you want.. Except those- they’re already waiting for you at home// Look, I know it was your first car and all but don’t you like the new one? I thought you’d like the surprise!// Paris would be wonderful, I think you should go, but I need to stay here and close this deal, you have fun, okay?// Look, let’s just get married in Vegas, weddings are just a waste of money anyways.// Are you kidding? I’m not paying extra for organic when half of it’s rotten. There’s nothing wrong with the chemicals they use, that’s why they’re allowed to use them!// Do you think we can afford a kid?// I don’t know, you pick the name, they all sound the same to me// I’ll be working a little extra now, I got the promotion I was up for.// Look, I know the new office is far but we can fly you out to come visit whenever you want!// What if you quit your job and we find a new place here?// I don’t get it... We’ve got the money, why are you making this so difficult? I can’t tell my whole company to move back, it’s not possible. You’ll make new friends here!// Thank you so much, I’ve waited a long time to get this kind of coverage through the company, you’ve just made my future that much more secure.// He’s walking himself to school already? Isn’t he a little young for that?// Look, I know I’ve been gone for a while but just a few more months I promise, once I make corporate I can come back home, for good!// What do you mean there isn’t another man? You mean just being alone is better than being with me? But I took this position for US!// Hey son, listen, daddy’s going to go to just a quick meeting and then be there for your game, okay? I’ll even bring you a surprise if I’m late, anything you want.// What do you mean that’s just the luck of the draw? Yeah, no, I get it, but couldn’t you have caught it sooner? I know I missed the check ups, I was busy!// Hey, so I’ve been thinking I want to take him on a road trip, I think it would be good to spend some time with him, just the two of us. I could show him where his grandpa grew up! What do you mean he has school? We’ll just take him out of it for a few weeks! Damnit, I miss him, okay? Is that what you want to hear? I miss my son and I want him to remember me when I’m gone.// So the treatment isn’t working? What am I paying the best doctors for then? Why is the treatment so damned expensive if it doesn’t f*****g work?// Look, I’ll fly you guys out here, please, it’ll be the last time. Can’t I see my son? I’m scared he won’t remember me.”

© 2017 i.am.the.sun.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on January 24, 2017
Last Updated on January 24, 2017

Author

i.am.the.sun.
i.am.the.sun.

Burnaby, Thugz mansion, Canada



About
I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym. more..

Writing