Future

Future

A Story by Frankie Nguyen

Many years together we have. We are young and have our whole life together. Maybe when we’re older, let’s say eighteen and twenty-one, we’ll take a road trip to wherever. We’ll point the car to the east and see where the road takes us. Take the back roads in places we’ve never been and sleep under the stars. Then in the morning we’ll run in the hills, splash in the running rivers, find shapes in the clouds. We’ll find the road again and stop by small shops. We’ll find the craziest things and not care since we’re together. Then, maybe when we arrive back home, we’ll finish our school and start our careers, but we won’t let the love die. We won’t let it grow dull. We’ll take another road trip, but this time we’ll point the car west. We’ll get half way there before we run out of gas. Hike for miles, have a few fights on the way, before finding a gas station and hiking on back. We’ll reach the Grand Canyon, maybe, possibly, yell, “I love you!” as loud as we can. Then, maybe if my luck is going good, you’ll turn to me with a smile on your face and say a simple question, “Will you marry me?” My eyes will light up and I’ll jump in your arms, telling you, “Yes.” Seriously, why would I not? We’ll continue to drive until we reach the state of Washington, swim in the Pacific, maybe go cliff diving. We’ll drive on back home, go to work and make some money. We won’t let it go dull. We’ll have fun when we’re home. Playing board games, Twister, maybe I Spy.

 

A few years will go by, now we’re twenty-two and twenty-five. We’ll decide to go to Australia and swim in the Great Barrier Reef. We’ll get married on the coast and the birds will sing. We’ll have a simple wedding, just us. Even though our families won’t approve, we’ll love through it all. We’ll go on back home and face the family. Tell them we’re married, smile, and kiss. Some will leave, bitter and cold. Others will stay, congrats, and hugs. To my surprise, my father will stay. Give me a hug and shake your hand. His long time hatred of you, from me being fifteen now to twenty-two, will disperse. He’ll give you a hug, tell you, “Keep her safe," then leave. I’ll smile to you. We’ll leave to our home. Months will pass, a missed period will arrive. With joy in our eyes, I'll take the test, a little plus sign will show itself. We’ll be filled with joy and leave to the doctors, an ultrasound showing it’s not one; it’s twins. I’ll look to you, eyes wide, and you’ll smile at me. We’ll go on home and tell the folks. They’ll jump with joy and make baby shower plans. We’ll look to one; another a vacation soon comes. We’ll point the car north this time. We’ll enjoy the scenery of the mountains, the smell of the trees. We’ll stay for weeks before coming home. We’ll settle down, find us a house, months will go buy, parties will go, and babies will come.

 

Years will go by, now thirty-five and thirty-eight, kids now teens. We’ll point the car south for a family road trip. The beach will be warm; we’ll go swimming. We may have aged, but our love is still young. Years will fly by; before we know it, they’re grown. Our kids, no parents, on road trips of their own. Once teens crazy in love, once young adults crazy in love, once middle-aged crazy in love now senior citizens still crazy in love. Now in our sixties our love is still strong. Our future together is bright and full of adventure. My future is with you and I couldn’t see it any other way.

© 2011 Frankie Nguyen


Author's Note

Frankie Nguyen
thanks to GamingGal for the editing and ideas (:

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved how the characters aged you tell the story really well as if its your own story and future lol (great idea) really liked this keep on writing your great love your work

Posted 13 Years Ago


Pros: Ah, I wish I was this optimistic still. I liked how you told a story by their age, advancing it every handful of sentences once the scene was told for that segment of their life. And you tell the story well; I can see it happening, envision this little happy couple you have created.

Cons: I'd suggest copying this into Microsoft Word or something like it and fixing all these grammar/spelling errors. Read through it and pick them out. Little things like wrong words, punctuation not inside the quotes. Also, I'd suggest breaking it into paragraphs, perhaps by age? And, this is just the pessimist in me (not to mention the sorrow/bitterness of just getting out of a happy relationship), but don't make everything sunshine and rainbows. We all know not everything will go right in life, so why make it go right in a story? Sure, it's fiction, but halfway through I wanted to smack the couple and tell them to stop being so darn happy. But that's just me.

Overall: You did a good job here for it being a short story. I fairly enjoyed it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ok first of all, I'm from Washington State so I enjoyed that destination in your story lol. Anyway on the the review, it was awesome! I loved it and how its about not letting the love die. That happens so often and I think it's important for people to have a fun love. So I think you writing about it is great! I loved the images you showed and the way everything was described, beautiful little story!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 23, 2011
Last Updated on January 24, 2011
Tags: love, teen


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..