Zimbabwe's low pass rates and writing exams in the sweltering heat

Zimbabwe's low pass rates and writing exams in the sweltering heat

A Story by Ittai Bryan Matthew Nyamawuya-Masanga
"

An in-depth look at how sitting for exams in October-November summer heat could be a big contributor towards the low pass rates in the public exam system.

"
The jacaranda in full bloom heralds the coming of the national exams.  Zimbabwean national examinations are written in the October-November summer season.  It is the end of the year when exam candidates are believed to have grasped every concept in the book but alas, ordinary level pass rates have remained alarmingly below 20%.  The education minister has called for a review of the educational curriculum (to align it with ZimASSET).  Whilst they believe aligning our education with ZimASSET is the answer, I feel we also need to change timing for writing exams if our pass rate is to improve.
Too hot
The summer season temperatures are too high for the brains to function normally in such sweltering heat.  In some regions, the temperatures rise to as high as 40 degree Celsius.  Under such high temperatures, the mind becomes dull and the candidates pay less attention to detail.  An N-back test conducted at Leiden University confirmed that people’s working memory functions better if they are working in an ambient temperature.  Temperature influences cognitive abilities.  
Busy season
During this time, the farming season is just about to begin and the majority of Zimbabwean farmers are subsistence (rely on family members for labour) that means the candidates are forced to juggle between studying and carrying out farming chores.  The young people are faced with the dilemma of having to choose between working to feed the family and passing the exams.  In most instances, the young are forced to conform to family rules and sacrifice their future.
Image from Timeslive.co.za
Peak stress period
The summer season is also the peak season for depression and other emotional and mental problems.  October is traditionally called the suicide month.  Most stress related incidences occur at this time.  The hotter the temperatures, the more people are likely to act aggressively.  Days of aggression are higher in hotter months, a pattern observable for murders, riots and car honking.  In some schools, girls experience mass hysteria as the extreme temperatures cause hormonal imbalances.  Excess heat causes discomfort by taxing our capacity to thermoregulate and this causes irritability and aggression.
The October-November is the dry hot season of lack.  It is when most granaries have run dry, food is scarce and in some regions, the families will be relying on food aid.  The lack and low nourishment for the mind plays a part on the preparedness of the candidate for an exam. Candidates have to skip breakfast and go to school on empty stomachs.  In most cases, they rely on one meal a day.  Simply skipping breakfast is associated with lower fluency and lower problem-solving ability.  The brain as an organ uses 20 to 30% of a person’s energy.  A hungry person also experiences lack of energy of motivation, decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities.
Way forward...
 
After realising the negatives of writing exams in the hot summer, it looks plausible that the national examinations be written in winter.  Our winter temperatures are not extreme.  The chill keeps the brain active and the mind alert.  The winter comes just after the harvesting season and there is plenty of food.  People are well fed and nourished and are most jovial.  The winter sun rich in vitamin D is soft and good for sun bathing.  It is therefore my strongest belief that we change.   

© 2014 Ittai Bryan Matthew Nyamawuya-Masanga


Author's Note

Ittai Bryan Matthew Nyamawuya-Masanga
There is more on this subject at Open Minds Publications (ibmatteu.blogspot.com)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

687 Views
Added on November 4, 2014
Last Updated on November 4, 2014
Tags: ZIMSEC, Dokora, Zimbabwe, ZimASSET, Leiden University, November, heat, thermoregulation, Open Minds Publications