Intrinsic Hoodoo

Intrinsic Hoodoo

A Poem by icaros13
"

And I'm standin' at the crossroads, believe I'm sinkin' down- Robert Johnson

"
You need no dolls or pins
Potions or powders
Your Hoodoo, intrinsic;
Creating love-drunk slaves
Where wise men once stood

Mojo Hand, useless
My Gris Gris, empty dust
Your beauty, your grace;
A lodestone eating magnetic sand
Pulling life from my veins

Rootworkers and Saints
And crossroads salesmen
Haven't the power
To break your conjure;
My soul, already sold






© 2012 icaros13


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I found a bird once in the basement of my father's old haunted house he owned. it was dead and had bird feed around it...it was one of the creepiest things I've ever witnessed.
I like this piece cause it works kinda universally or as perhaps the effect someone has had or tried to have on you. I use the word universally kind of vaguely. I apologize for that.
I wish I could go into details about the kind of things I've researched and witnessed...but I'm gonna let the metaphorics of it stew in my had and maybe come back and consider expounding.
I must say the lodestone line reminds me of that scene in xmen where they help magneto escape from prison

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Congratulations this poem has been "approved" for publication in...

THE MAGICAL MYTHICAL MYSTERY COMPENDIUM.
-Metaphysical, Mystical & Fantastical Poetry of the Arcane

By John Phoenix Hutchinson and Others. (c) 2012

Please feel free to submit other poems as you are not limited to one entry. Also please write a short "bio" about yourself and send to me via private message. This will be published along with your poem. Thanks J.P.H.

Anyone wanting to make Submissions to this Writers Cafe "e" book Project can do so on my group page, the deadline is 1st of November 2012.



Posted 11 Years Ago


John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

Dont forget I need a bio and your permission to publish via PM if you wish your work to be included.
Saw this on the J.P.H. The Magical Mystical Mystery Compendium Group page.

The title caught my eye as I havent seen many poems with this theme.

Great write I would of liked to see more of it but really enjoyed it as it stands.


Posted 11 Years Ago


Great use of language :) I'm always fascinated by crossroad souls, particularly Robert Johnson's story...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very powerful.. A resignation in the fact that someone has a hold of your heart.. your soul already sold..x You penned the emotions well..xo

Posted 11 Years Ago


I found a bird once in the basement of my father's old haunted house he owned. it was dead and had bird feed around it...it was one of the creepiest things I've ever witnessed.
I like this piece cause it works kinda universally or as perhaps the effect someone has had or tried to have on you. I use the word universally kind of vaguely. I apologize for that.
I wish I could go into details about the kind of things I've researched and witnessed...but I'm gonna let the metaphorics of it stew in my had and maybe come back and consider expounding.
I must say the lodestone line reminds me of that scene in xmen where they help magneto escape from prison

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh, wow! absolutely bewitching!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh this is great ! Smitten !

Posted 11 Years Ago


That's cool.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
. wow ... stunning poetry, monsieur ... i just read your words aloud and they sound like a magic spell ... although they speak of another's spell ... and do you know what i think about the expression "love-drunk slaves" ? ... i think it's about love being a somewhat humbling experience ... which, to my mind, is how it's meant to be ... it's a sublime submission ... yes, it hurts ... but then ... it also makes poets out of us ... and, in your case, a poet who writes spells ... i'm lucky to be here to read this post ... your words make one just a little tipsy ...

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 6, 2012
Last Updated on September 2, 2012
Tags: poetry, poem, prose

Author

icaros13
icaros13

Kansas, OK



About
For we have thought the larger thoughts And gone the shorter way. And we have danced to devil's tunes, Shivering home to pray; To serve one master in the night, Another in the day. ..I do love.. more..

Writing
Sarah Sarah

A Poem by icaros13



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..