She Was Bordeaux

She Was Bordeaux

A Poem by icelandicblue

She was Bordeaux;
full bodied with a dark
fruity scent, fermenting
more each day as
life pressed out
her sweet essence.

Her mouth, a worn out
label of words, never
deciphered , silenced
by ordinary men; she
had always been
their best kept secret.

The hourglass girl
keeping time
in measured gulps;
drop dead red
had always been her color

© 2013 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i grew up in upstate NY where a beer called Gennesee was brewed and sold. the "Gennesee Girl was the main sales image for the beer. i was completely enamored with her and one year she appeared at our state fair. when i saw her she was worn a bit with holes in her black fish net stockings and i was sad for her and when i walked away she walked out of my dreams. i love what you are saying for this woman...tragic as the bottle empties ... hate it that the men who used her can walk away without a thought...
E.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Oh Einstein that is sad. Thank you for sharing that. Some things wear out quickly no matter how glam.. read more
KAOlmsted

10 Years Ago

Holy cats...I love Genny Cream Ale *laugh* (being from Syracuse and all)

Okay. Now I'.. read more



Reviews

sigh. you're a real poet. I would have just poured the wine to the point of stupor. But this, wow.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Well...I do that sometimes too. Thanks TL, I'm always happy when you read my work.
you know this is wonderful, how she seems to ferment over time lol, like a fine wine...just gets sweeter all the time :P It's true...lol, I really enjoyed this , more than I can really express myself, I have to admit I love a sweet red , mostly into Sangria lately tho :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading and commenting with such detail.
This is so throaty...like a three pack a day singer. That last stanza is pure gold.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I love love love your comment. Thanks kimmer!
KAOlmsted

10 Years Ago

I love love love this piece ;-) My pleasure!
An awesome write...a beautiful girl once desired now sad and alone...the verses compliment each other...nicely penned indeed...Rose:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so very much Rose.
Simply lovely!! awesome job

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Rosaria.
"life pressed out her sweet essence" Hinting at a woman who perhaps was "rode hard and put up wet" as they say in the South! :) No one ever really understood her and no one wanted to make their relationship with her public. "drop dead red" Love the images that conjures! I could see her walking down the street....you really described her well. Great write. lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks Lydi,

I''m happy you could "see" her.
Love the mouth worn out label of words line

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks for commenting BR.
Blue, this is written so simply straightforward and I love that. She has been taken from and taken from for so long that the fiery woman she has always been has been faded and worn. The images this conjures are so vivid. Very well done. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Angi, I really appreciate it.
Doesnt't this happen a lot, Anne -- They give too much and get little in return.... I am famous for that, I give so much to people and yet I receive hardly anything back. Yet I get asked when will I learn, I can't help but put people before me, it's just who I am.

"Her mouth, a worn out
label of words, never
deciphered , silenced
by ordinary men; she
had always been
their best kept secret." -- I adored this stanza, it is so powerful.

This is a really relatable write, Blue, I loved it. Forgive me if I have interpreted this wrong....

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

You interpreted it beautifully. There are givers in this world and takers. The givers become world w.. read more
s y e

10 Years Ago

I think so, too. I think the givers need to reign in a bit if they don't receive anything back, I me.. read more
I can't really put into words how this one effects me. You know sometimes its not many men but rather one that eventually sours the sweetness of the wine. Sadly perfect write Anne...

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

And sometimes we can only blame ourselves. Thanks so much Red.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

681 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 16, 2013
Last Updated on September 16, 2013

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


drama drama

A Poem by redflutterby