The Girl Who Killed Fate

The Girl Who Killed Fate

A Poem by icelandicblue

I'm packing a pistol full
of angst today hanging strategically
from my hip for easy access.

It is more than just a fashion accessory,
I wear it well with the right amount of panache
and perhaps a frisson of sex appeal.

But it is a pitiful pearl day,
a few more and I'll have myself
a pretty little necklace or

perhaps each gleaming orb would make
a perfect heat seeking sphere
able to shoot straight through the target

of my misery, obliterating the constant
din of what ifs and cutting off fate's shrill voice.
And when the forensics department investigates

they'll swab my hands for gun shot residue,
all they will find is the essential element of salt
traversing my palms while my eyes dry in the winds of sweet release.

© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You're a superb poet. All I can say. You have a knack for metaphor that is second to none. Also can have multiple meanings, so you leave an air of mystery with your writing. I took this piece as the pistol being equivalent to tears of sorrow, which of course... produce salt.

You painted an eerie, enigmatic picture and your words and flow are on point. Love it. Great work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks, and tears were embedded throughout the piece. Good eye!



Reviews

The title drew me in, then the out-of-this-world imagery made me not want to leave. This is such a cataclysm of intense emotions...a piece of extremes I would dub it. There is something indelibly powerful in opening with an expression of angst then following it up with the suggestion of sex appeal. And if only fate's shrill voice was easier to block out...fate is something I do believe in (I rarely say that cuz I never know how people will respond, and most people would respond negatively) and even though I should be happy to simply be alive and surviving past dear friends and relatives (Friday is the second anniversary of Dad's death) but the hand I've been dealt to date frustrates me. It doesn't waver my beliefs, it just frustrates me. Your writing never ceases to speak to me on a deep level.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

If she would just cut me a break I wouldn't have to kill her but she left me no choice. The hand we'.. read more
Whoa, where did this one come from, shot me dead in my tracks...locked and loaded this one! Powerful read.....awe inspiring actually, go get em Anne, should we call you Annie for Oakley? ;-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Frieda P

10 Years Ago

You're a good shot, no doubt! Was my pleasure, good to know you let someone live. ;-)
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Naw- I use my words like a good little girl.
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Sometimes words are deadlier, c'mon you know that my friend.
Anne...I think this is one of my favorites. And its going in my library. Its times like this when I wish I knew the ins and outs of technical reviews...but I guess you dont need to have that skill to recognize perfection. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. You should be published....its a shame that so few poets ever are. You amaze me hun.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

You are an elixir for my soul and well my ego. Thank you for such a beautiful and supporting review... read more

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

908 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on March 27, 2014
Last Updated on March 27, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..