Men Only Gamers

Men Only Gamers

A Poem by icelandicblue

Help us with mature content
says the plaintive banner
in a cool shade of blue
hanging like the sky above my words.

I'm not always a rule follower
but still I check my work with the zeal
of a pig snuffling out truffles
for any trace or scent of impropriety.

Maturity, a coming of age,
the magic of eighteen and that thought
truly makes me chuckle but I keep it
in my thought bubble.

I understand and yet...I don't
sexual material is easy to find .
It blazes like a neon light blinking
into the window of a cheap motel.

And then I see the long fingers of money,
pays for sex but likes it behind locked doors.
Violence, horror, suicide, and drugs
slip subjectively through the sluice gate with the stealth of the cartel.

And so these thoughts roll around my head
my own little barrel of monkeys until
I begin to join them together
in a bent arm string of thought.

And then I see to the right of my "home" feed
an advertisement with an terrifyingly buxom virtual woman
holding a sword bold, highly sexed and dangerous
beneath her own banner waving Men Gamers Only.

I am the daughter of Title IX
my stilettos are finely honed,
there is no game too dangerous
for I walk on sharpened knives.

Had you really wanted a Valkyrie
all you had to do was ask, I won't tell-
you see I can be whatever I want to be
even if only in wordy worldly images.

So how far do you want to go?
I've run these bases before
they ever had cleats for girls.
Only to now lament, "Oh the hypocrisy."



© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

BRAVO!!!!!!! Let me stand beside you hands on my hips...eyes blazing!! The whole mature label issue has irritated me since this campaign started. Not because we shouldnt apply a rating to the work here but because ive seen works that contain no graphic or overt sexuality labeled as mature by administration. They claim its because of advertiser complaints but I truly dont believe that. I think its complaints by a small minority of writers who dont like or want certain types of writing on this site. I base this on exactly what you state...ads just like the one you mention. Not to mention the advertisers who use advertising which tries to hijack you to other sites or get you to download unnecessary protection for your laptop or device. This site is loaded with them. Which I notified administration about months ago and never received a response on. Too be honest I dont think the administration cares about quality advertisers.. just how much money is going in their pocket.

The hypocrisy you point out is spot on...good for you to bring it out in the open!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks for that passion red. When someone starts censoring they should be cleaning their own house b.. read more
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Once you start censoring where do you stop?
redflutterby

10 Years Ago

Exactly my feelings Anne...I was on a fitness site where you had teen girls posting pro-anorexia and.. read more



Reviews

I'm in agreement with other reviews. I'm checking my simple efforts and I've got a bevy of half naked Philippino girls in a large ad stating that they're ready for me.
Get the ads vetted first THEN look to the genuine contributors.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Oh my...it seems there is no end to the type of advertisements they'll post. Who is watching the wat.. read more
lol!!! I was thinking the same thing the other day. Had to just shake my head. I can't point out one part I loved the most, but your work is worthy of publication. You're a brilliant writer. Adding to favs.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you for that. Hypocrisy drives me nuts (as well as a long list of other things lol). Thanks fo.. read more
I agree with this on so many levels. Yes, lets slap a mature label on poetry but advertise something like that right next to the poem. Sigh. I've seen that ad so many times now and it's ridiculous.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I agree, it is totally ridiculous.
nice! I saw that ad today too. Sigh. Oh the hypocrisy. I don't write or read much of the pink bar offerings these days - never did really even though I have no quarrel with the genre. I just like writing that makes me think more than writing that makes me sweat. And the overt stuff, the porn'ems - they bore me actually. I like a work with teeth. Like this. This has teeth and thought behind it. People don't want to think for themselves. I don't want to be told what to think. Brava to you!

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I'm not much of a pink bar girl myself but I am a fighter when I see hypocrisy. I appreciate the tee.. read more
Great write Blue on this "mature" writing fiasco.You have to go through your writing with a fine tooth comb to be sure you have not offended the powers that be.Yet sex is hardly something that is hidden and young adults don't know about it.It is all over the place.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Yes it seems the powers that be live by a "Do as I say, not as I do" philosophy. Thanks for your tho.. read more
Vidya Bacchus

10 Years Ago

You are welcome :)
Yes Blue, you see well the hypocrisy of it all. Sexuality is not bad. Nudity is not bad or even sexual in many contexts. I fear a few saints will be surprised when the reach the pearly gates and find their white robes are transparent... I could go on... I will not.
You also show the fact there is not a concern if it is an advertisement with sexual content. We will not even mention the gender rolls and gender prejudice thing... I have to laugh because if I don't I would get angry.
Great expression of intellectual thought.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks David I appreciate your thoughts on the whole matter.
What an amazing poem, brilliantly written. :-)

Kaze~

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you Kaze,

I appreciate you reading and commenting.
♔ CrownedDevil ☾

10 Years Ago

Your very welcome, it was my pleasure reading your poem. :-)
Great piece, IcyBlue. So complicated what is all age-appropriate and what is not. I think I have only ever labelled a couple of my poems mature as they dealt explicitly with sex. Many deal metaphorically so, but I like to think they work on more than one level, and if someone under 18 'gets it', they didn't 'get it' from me. Even animated movies especially targeted for children will do this. I try to choose pictures that I would not have a problem with my four-year-old seeing but then this is a very subjective rule, as certain nude works would be okay in my books. Also, since I record my poems, I use the same rule with what I write. If I wouldn't let him listen then it is mature. I have only ever used the f'bomb once in my poetry and I did not do so lightly, but in the end, I felt it was called for artistically and I warned the reader from the start. Also I thought these were censured. Still, I read others who do and don't batt an eye. Left with the same question what is mature? Search me … wink, wink and a nudge.

(Ps. there are few too many buts in stanza five.)

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you and it is a complex and highly subjective subject. Most poets on this site are very respon.. read more
yeah, i hate those ads.....nice write

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Jenny.
i too have seen much labeled "mature only" and yet...those poems have had no real damaging graphic words...and hypocrisy is alarming...

the old double standard exists...

people who damn others and what others write often hide behind their shades and do worse.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Power is a funny thing it blurs lines and makes those who wield it inconsistent and myopic. I don't .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

504 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 6, 2014
Last Updated on April 7, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..