The Fading of Lily Rose

The Fading of Lily Rose

A Story by icelandicblue
"

My first short story. It won't blow your socks off but it's a start. Thanks for reading.

"
Their eyes followed her like lemmings every time she walked into a room. Each stride of her long legs were more mesmerizing than any pocket watch could hope to be. She carried herself in a regal way. But what really set her apart was the fact that she was only peripherally aware of her beauty. It never really held any importance because from the moment it started to blossom her mother always reminded her not to depend on it for it would eventually fade. Follow your heart and follow your brain my sweet, those are your greatest assets. This was advice Lily took seriously as she volunteered in animal shelters and read to sick kids in the hospital. She buried herself in the study of languages and obscure history and she felt good about her inner self. Her heart was kind and her mind was sharp.

She knew that someday that the bloom would be off the rose so she tried to ignore her looks and downplayed them when she could. She had few friends and some boys who were "friends." She never really saw the longing in their eyes, she was too busy accomplishing and being who she was meant to be. She was beautifying her brain. She was too young to understand that one should never squander gifts bestowed, no matter how fleeting. Foolishly she believed her life was full and there was nothing more that she could want. She had been blessed with a fine heart and a brain, and she could out wait her beauty until it disappeared. It was after all, just a matter of time.

Oh her teeth were white and her  hair was long and glossy like raven's feathers. but it was her eyes that were her crowning glory. Crystal blue and almond shaped surrounded by dark lashes that absorbed everything around her except the fact that she was lonely. As she became more important in her field of obscure facts and even more obscure languages the most obvious fact eluded her and followed her everywhere she went. People still admired her but from afar, she seemed aloof, and to the more jealous, snobby. Most do not ignore what they can see but Lily was an expert.

And then one day, a man of letters and wit refused to break the lock he'd placed between their eyes. At first she found him a nuisance, he interrupted her work and wanted to do frivolous things like laugh and maybe even skip a lecture or two. But he was  persistent that man of tweed jackets during the week and leather ones on the weekends.  Later through much cajoling and convincing she began to see herself through his eyes. She realized the time she had wasted ignoring a gift such as hers. One that did not need to be flaunted but could have been welcomed and enjoyed, even savored privately in front of a gilded mirror given to her by her lover. She now knew it never had to define her and it was nothing to be ashamed of.Instead, because of her ignorance, she had been culled from the crowd and isolated her in ways she did not understand.

Time  passed and she aged in a natural progression, still attractive, and if she looked very hard she could see the girl she ignored for so long and  now she smiles because at least for a brief time she got to know her and like her. She had always been as beautiful inside as she once was on the outside; that lesson was a long time coming. The girl was now faded, the man of letters and wit still loved her and finally she understood that no gift should be rejected because it won't last forever. You can't run from the yourself or your gifts.Embrace them all and what you do with them is really what matters in the end.

© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A amazing story.
"You can't run from the yourself or your gifts.Embrace them all and what you do with them is really what matters in the end."
I agree with the above lines. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading it Coyote. I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed reading it.
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

It was a very good story and thank you for sharing. I will return tonight and read some more.
This is a very good piece with a simple and powerful theme. Beautifully and evocatively written with such a melodious flow to the language that I imagine its one of the few prose works that would be effective when read aloud. The simplicity and depth call to mind some of the short fiction of Hawthorne (and I'm a huge Hawthorne fan, so it is a compliment). Great eye for detail and psychology, incredible command of language. Terrific work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Why thank you. I never really knew how I felt about this piece...but you have definitely made me fee.. read more
very detailed, thoughtful write that analyzes psychological stands very well.
***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Anand.
This is a great narrative piece, Blue - a good flow of language that carries the reader along, giving food for thought along the way. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks Rita...I think it might be a bit boring but there is a certain essence in it that I think is .. read more
I enjoy the flavor of this. The word choice, the tone if you will - it reminds me of the narrative before an epic screen play I sense a larger story in between the paragraphs. Beautiful descriptions through out and some wonderful unique phrases that give away your inner "poet"
Well penned.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much. It's a start and narrative really is really where I live. I have a new appreciation.. read more
I like how the title is not about what happens in the story at all. Rather, the title is the reason a person should read and better yet heed the lesson you write. We all will, or rather have, faded. How few posses the maturity to appreciate their blessings with perspective and humility, but also honest abandon in the joy of who we are?
A wonderful story Blue.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much and you are right she doesn't fade instead she becomes more vibrant. I love that y.. read more
Good descriptive story Blue. Kind of a narration type story IE no dialog or action but that's okay. Stories are a hell of a lot more work than poems are. You slave over one for days, drive yourself crazy editing it, make it perfect, post it with much anticipation then it gets 30 views a 1 review. Then you think "F**k it. I'll just keep writing stupid poems." Sometimes I think everyone in America has ADD.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Yes, I left out the action and the dialogue- i do hate writing dialogue but this was just as you say.. read more
Yes indeed, pertinently observational, ignore those gifted attributes to your peril, instead, embrace them and be inspired !

A quite captivating, imaginative, short story!

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Tom. Good to see you and your precious dogs.
This profound short story explores some concepts which truly need to be addressed. Many live out their lives trying to ignore what they are, trying to become something they are not. They don't realise that they already have a platform to build on - themselves. We must accept ourselves, in all our mental, spiritual and physical beauty, and that is why we must always explore ourselves and discover who we truly are, and by reading and writing pieces like this we come closer to doing so.
Thank you for sharing this brilliant short story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

You are much too kind. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.
Wow this is quite a story Blue.No we cannot run from who we are because life always catches up with you and then you realize how much time you have wasted being something that you are not :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

There is no running, you are so right. Thank you Vidya.
Vidya Bacchus

10 Years Ago

You are welcome :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

510 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 6, 2014
Last Updated on April 7, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..