Witch

Witch

A Poem by icelandicblue

Witch they whispered,
their hushed tones were swept
up by the biting wind.

Witch they called her
as her wild red hair tangled
around her face amid the bluster.

Witch
  they branded her,
too deft with her knowledge
too comely and too unattached.


Witch  they accused,
strange concoctions shelved in her home
all rooted from nature.

Healer they had addressed her,
when gashes and broken bones
trilled for her skill and potions.

Witch  they decided
despite the relief she once granted,
but superstition was their new religion.

Witch  they burned, her screams human,
bestowing her forgiveness, her pain would cease
but for the ignorant masses it was just beginning.

Witch they murmured, swallowing their own breaths
doubt burrowed deeply into troubled souls
as snow began to fall in frozen alabaster tears mixing softly with the ash.


Witch they wondered.

late at night when the darkness came

too afraid to ever speak lest they become witches too.

© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful and very true of England in the 1500's (?) I loved the subtle change of the thoughts as the witch hunters realised they may have been mistaken. Witches.....it was no good being clever in those days. We were either thrown into a luny bin, (lunatic asylum), gaol, or burnt at the stake. I would have preferred the drowning method. Tied to a chair and dipped into a pond. If I survive, I am a witch, if I drown, I am innocent. At least I get to prove my innocence!!
Ps: nice touch with the decreasing font size directly proprtional to the uncertainty. Daffy

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Daffy and for that marvelous history lesson. It did not good being different did it? .. read more



Reviews

A wonderful tale woven with skill and empathy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you. People suffer under many labels I think.
you have a way of writing that makes me want to just keep reading.. the flow of this vivid magical write was enchanting.. felt like a teaser for a story that makes me run to the counter with it---rushing home to read... ignorance is a powerful thing when mixed with fear... people do desperate things... think crazy thoughts... history has proven that.. this tale has a little of everything.. so entertaining.. I like the construction of this and the change of font is well done and reinforces the power of each word.. I thoroughly enjoyed this one:)
oh yes! makes me want to go dig up a witchy book now...


Posted 9 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I am reading a witchy book right now. Thanks so much April.
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

Looks like I will be soon!... you're more than welcome.. I am a fan.
The witch hunts go on even in these modern times. No-one is burned at the stake as such, but the results are just as destructive. It's the persecution of minorities, those perceived to be different, and be it for religious, political, or any number of other so-called ideological reasons, lives, families, careers, are destroyed forever, and beneath the righteous surface, there is always a personal motivation.

I like the progression here from hysteria to doubt.

T

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

The word witch really is a metaphor for anything different, foreign or misunderstood. It is used for.. read more
Thank you for this poem, Anne. The Wisp is inhabited by witches but like you I think it is very important to remember that in real life women are often labeled witches so they can be stolen from. Great job with this write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you Pryde, unfortunately it is an age-old story. Land or disagreement over land was a powerful.. read more
There are witches and - there are witches! Many past (and present witches - truth be known), were respectful gatherers of plants and all else living, they were makers of remedies; they were observers of seasons, time of clock and so much more. Their powers were amazing, people of all standing looked to them but, they were also feared and doubted.

Sorry, won't go on, this isn't my page but yours, and, gloriously yours. You've dealt with the subject in such a way that you've lead readers from small steps to giant strides in your font and length of stanzas and - all the time, created an amazingly powerful atmosphere.

'.. .. as snow began to fall in frozen alabaster tears mixing softly with the ash.'

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Ah what we don't understand we fear...it's so sad because there is so much to lean and know. Thank y.. read more
What a tale of misunderstanding and hatred. The shame that will live on and the promise of only darkness in their future. I really liked this creepy but wonderfully written work of art today. I would say this enchnated me, I could not look away once ai started reaing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much willweb. I am sorry I missed this review but I am happy that you could not look aw.. read more
Oh. Touches on so many things this one. The stupidity of fear mixed with ignorance. The cruelty we impinge on others because they're different. The stifling grip of doctrines, cultures, religions without understanding - and we take our nurturers, our healers and destroy them.
Yup. This is a heavy write. Made me think. And that's a very good thing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you Tammy. The fear of the unknown is often the kindling of ignorance. Thanks again.
Iceblue, this one is fantastic. It is a history lesson wrapped in a poem wrapped in a prosaic story. This was a dark time in Salem...a dark time for everyone involved. So appropriate to this month's witching hour as we draw close to the 31st. It gives a perspective of the innocent that is so often overlooked. The only thing you left out is the option to dunk them into the water to see if they floated...quite grizzly all the way around. A brilliant write, though. Thank you..:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Yes, but the semester draws near and grading will be at a frenzied pace very soon.
Bright Ocean Star

9 Years Ago

Yes, but you are on the east coast and this is quite late for you. Don't you have to be up bright a.. read more
icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you Bright Ocean Star. That is a very kind thing to say!
Wonderful and very true of England in the 1500's (?) I loved the subtle change of the thoughts as the witch hunters realised they may have been mistaken. Witches.....it was no good being clever in those days. We were either thrown into a luny bin, (lunatic asylum), gaol, or burnt at the stake. I would have preferred the drowning method. Tied to a chair and dipped into a pond. If I survive, I am a witch, if I drown, I am innocent. At least I get to prove my innocence!!
Ps: nice touch with the decreasing font size directly proprtional to the uncertainty. Daffy

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Daffy and for that marvelous history lesson. It did not good being different did it? .. read more
What an awesome interpretation of the Witch Trials; the paranoia, the brutality, the inevitable remorse... Excellent, Blue!

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I haven often wondered how those who knew them slept at night. Thank you Rita.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 11, 2014
Last Updated on October 11, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..