Life, Death, and the Unexpected.

Life, Death, and the Unexpected.

A Story by Gemma Hillhouse
"

I posted this before but have added more detail to it. What you think?

"

When Jamie's favourite song (With Or Without You by U2) started playing everyone rose from where they were seated; some crying, some staring at the ground, others with no expression at all, not being able to feel anything, like everything in the moment was surreal somehow, and wished for it all to end and for them to wake up. But it wasn't going to end ... this was all very real. Not one person had expected Jamie's death to come this soon. His wife, Evanna, had least expected it as the doctors had told her not just but three weeks ago that he would see his twenty-fifth birthday, possibly even his twenty-sixth. Yet here she was, in a church crowded with over fifty people - some people were outside, there was no more space for them to stand indoors - watching the coffin that held her late husband inside being carried down the aisle to be cremated.
                Two years ago Jamie started to feel sick. Evanna eventually persuaded him to go to see his doctor, although this was days after him being very persistent not to, saying there was nothing to worry about and he’d be better in no time.
      ‘It’s just a bug I’ve caught, Eva, don’t worry about me too much,’ he had said, not long after they had cleared the dinner table one night.
     But she did worry. Jamie hardly ever got sick, and when he did, never for this long. He went to see his doctor a few days later, Eva by his side, and told him what the problem was:
      ‘Well …’ Jamie felt silly. Not only did he know himself that he was fine, but he was here, in his doctor’s office, about to tell him he had a bug. He felt ridiculous. It was only his wife’s stare which made him carry on.
      ‘Lately I’ve been feeling off. I’m feeling tired more than usual. I’ve been working nights at work now for a few weeks, which I think is the cause. I’ve also been getting bad headaches �" possibly the cause of not getting enough sleep if I say so myself. But I came here today because Eva here is starting to get worried about me. She thinks my being sick this long is very unnatural, doctor.’  Jamie smirked, and so did Dr. Richard. He could feel Eva’s eyes boring in to the side of his face.
      ‘OK,’ said his doctor, ‘if you want I can do a few tests today and call you tomorrow with the results? If you still feel unwell by the end of the week, come back and see me.’
      Jamie agreed and he and Eva left thirty minutes after arriving, Eva feeling satisfied. Neither of them could imagine the tragedy that was about to unfold, and change lives forever.
                Everyone poured outside after the funeral was over, faces wet, sun beaming down from above, and most rushed over to see how Evanna was coping. All she wanted to do was escape this attention and get home, away from her friends and family; she wanted to be alone in her own company for a little while, grieve in her own way. She didn't think she could do that now, not with over twenty faces looking at in her direction, wanting to know how she was, wanting to know if there was anything they could do. Truth was, no one could do anything. If any of them could bring Jamie back to her ... well that just wasn't possible.
                'How are you Evanna, dear?' A familiar-sounding voice sounded through the crowd of people waiting to see her. It was her grandmother, Marge. Ever since she had been little, her grandmother was always there for her, she would help her and support her with everything, anything she needed. When she and Jamie first met in high school only nine years ago they sparked up an amazing friendship. By the time they were seventeen, and in senior year, they were in love. And they stayed in love until he passed away. On their first date Marge noticed how nervous Evanna looked and she sat her down on the couch, held her hands, and told her the story of how she and her grandfather had met. Evanna had heard this countless times; she never complained, she thought it was the most romantic, wonderful story she had ever heard. When her grandmother was only seventeen years old she was sitting in the local park reading a C.S. Lewis book. She noticed a boy staring at her now and again from the bench opposite, but never once faltered. The reason for this, her grandmother always said, is because she thought the boy was the most handsome boy she had ever seen. She had seen him many times before, but neither one spoke to each other on any occasion. One afternoon on a weekend she was walking home when she saw the boy, she stopped and stared, he stared back, and then he smiled at her from across the street, and she to him, and then he crossed to where she was and for the very first time in either of their lives, they spoke to one another. Her grandmother always did say the conversation was a little awkward at first, and now, forty-eight years later you can never get either one to shut up.
                'Hello, gran.’ Evanna said.
      The crowd of people already surrounding Evanna moved to let Marge through to her. The community where they lived knew Marge very well, they respected her. They crossed over to the church steps and sat down side by side, Evanna helping her grandmother down carefully.
      'Evanna,' said Marge, not looking at her granddaughter, but instead at the emptying crowd of people in front of them.
                'I want you to be OK, dear. If you need me for anything, if you want to get away from that house for a while, you -'
                'I'm fine.' Evanna said, cutting off anything else her grandmother had wanted to say. 'I'll be fine. I just want to get back home, to be in my own company for a while. I just want people to understand that. I want people to understand that my husband has just died, and I’ll be fine.'
                Noticing her grandmother looking shocked and slightly hurt by the abrupt way she cut her off, she quickly added, 'But thanks gran, I really appreciate it.' Marge gave a slight smile, but said no more.
                For a while longer they sat there not speaking and eventually Marge got up, told Evanna it was time they should leave, and they did. By the time they reached Evanna's , and until recently Jamie's, home it was after six O’clock. Opening the car door, Evanna turned to her grandmother and they embraced for a short time, and then she eventually climbed out of the car and walked to the front door. She watched as the car disappear then went inside, placed her jacket in the closet in the hall, and lay on the couch.  She felt weird not hearing Jamie's voice or feeling his presence somewhere in their home, not being able to touch him. He was gone. She closed her eyes and lay still until she finally drifted into sleep. Her dreams filled with memories of her past, of Jamie, of them, and for a while, they were together again.

© 2012 Gemma Hillhouse


Author's Note

Gemma Hillhouse
Rate, comment, say whatever ... I just want to know what people think of it so far.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on June 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 23, 2012
Tags: story, short, romance, sad

Author

Gemma Hillhouse
Gemma Hillhouse

Glasgow, Lanarkshire, United Kingdom



About
I'm 18 years old. I love to read a lot and I love to write. It would be a dream to see my writing in bookstores. more..

Writing