The First Record

The First Record

A Chapter by Izzy

Dimly light street lamps line the dark alley, I hear a distant playing of a fiddle, accompanied by the singing of joyful festival goers. My shoes tap against the worn, cobblestone street. If only I had quieter shoes. The clank of metal against stone behind me causes a shiver to go up my spine. I’m being followed. I think to myself. I start to walk faster, and the clanking of the walking stick starts to speed up. I break into a sprint and dive into a pile of hay beside a farmers stand. The clank gets closer then stops right in front of me. I hear the person curse under their breath. It was a man’s voice, gravelly from decades of smoking. I know that voice. Vaughn Allitt. As the clanging of his cane gets farther and farther away, I poke my head out from my hiding place. Allitt was gone. I speed in the opposite direction I heard him go, and finally stop at a pub. The Iron Clover it was called. All the lights were on, but it looked vacant. Unusual. I attempt to open the door, but it’s locked. I knock at the door. No answer. Another knock. Again no answer. I raise my hand to knock again and the door creaks open, revealing a beaten and bruised old man, who I knew as Mr. Caroll, who owned the pub. 

      “Mr. Caroll! What happened?” I whisper yell, taking his arm and helping him to a chair. 

      “They know.” He mutters, gasping for breath. I close the door to the pub, locking it. 

      “We need to get you somewhere safe.” I say, turning back towards the old bartender. 

      “It was very foolish of you to come back to your hiding place young man.” A voice growls. Vaughn Allitt steps out of the shadows. He walks towards Mr. Carroll and I go to run at him. “Not another step unless you want this cutlass in his heart.” He threatens, brandishing a sword. I’m much faster than he is. I can get to Mr. Carroll before he can. I go to tackle him to get him away from Allitt. But before I could reach him the end of the sword protrudes from his chest. I was too slow. 



© 2023 Izzy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on March 28, 2023
Last Updated on March 28, 2023


Author

Izzy
Izzy

Writing
The Second Record The Second Record

A Chapter by Izzy


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Izzy