Indigo Ch. 4

Indigo Ch. 4

A Chapter by immac

Edward looked down at his phone. Amanda had proven much more useful than even he could have imagined. He been feeling guilty about keeping James in the dark about this plan, especially about Amanda, but he couldn't risk James going on another power trip. The less that he knew, the less he would be able to do about it. This wasn't exactly the way James would play it. James was smart and calculating, but he was not always capable of the manipulation that these missions could require. This one had been going on long enough that it called for drastic measures. This was better than getting into a power-grabbing situation. Neither could win. It was best to keep a positive relationship. They had been partners for so long and Edward knew that this was the best way to deal with things. Yes, the less he knew, the better. Edward resolved to fill him in when they were all back home, safe and sound.

He hopped into his black SUV. He knew exactly where he would find the girls. He had, after all, picked this particular hotel. Before leaving the parking lot and heading toward his target, he reached for his phone.

"Caroline?" Edward calmly spoke into the phone.

"That was fast." She scoffed.

"Head to the Magnolia Inn. You are going to find exactly what you are looking for. "

"That's not possible. She can't be …"

He ended the call abruptly, not wanting to waste another moment. It was time to get this moving. He was ready to get her home. His phone started to buzz as Caroline called him back, but he didn't answer. He knew that she would show. There was too much money and her professional reputation on the line.

As he pulled up to the hotel, he saw Amanda's Highlander parked in the lot. The door chimed as he went in and he turned left. He headed straight for room 111. He knocked quietly, hoping not to wake Sam until it was necessary. Amanda opened the door but immediately turned to walk back toward the bed, where the broken girl was sleeping soundly. Edward grabbed her arm, causing her to spin around.

"How is she doing?" Edward whispered into her ear.

"Fine. Just like you said." Amanda was being short, giving him the cold shoulder. She tried to turn back toward the bed, but he held her in place.

Edward did not like this mood. It was not as if they had a great deal of time together. It wasn't worth the conflict when they were able to be in the same location. It finally dawned on Edward what was going on. "You aren't upset about this morning, are you? I thought I had given you enough warning."

"Well, if you are going to disappear like that, you should leave a note or something. Anything. It was just so surreal… And he…"

"Hush" Edward said as he pushed her up against the wall. It wasn't an aggressive move, just an assertive one. His hand found its way to her face. He caressed her jaw line with the back of his hand. "I am so sorry, about everything. This mission got in the way of some of our other plans, but I will make it up to you. I promise. Just let me get her home. Then I will get some vacation time. I will come back, we will go out, and you can have me all to yourself."

"Promise?" She smiled, her eyes looking down toward his chest.

"Of course." Edward turned her chin toward his, and placed a kiss directly on her lips. "Just let me get her home."

Letting Amanda go, Edward walked over to Sam's bedside. She looked so small and frail laid out on the bed. He knew she was eighteen, but the time at the hospital and the time on the road, had done a number on her health. It made her look like such a child. The doctors back home would be able to help her. It wasn't the worst he had seen, but she definitely looked bad. She needed some food, some support, and some much-deserved rest.

Edward knew it was time for Sam to wake up and for them to get on with their road trip. He took out another smooth disk, similar to the one that Amanda had used earlier. Though he had a great distaste for the use of pharmaceuticals to control people as a general rule, it did often make some situations easier. This was particularly true in the beginning. He placed the disk on to her arm, and pressed down.

"She will be up shortly." Edward said quickly. "We will need to leave as soon as she is awake. I will call you as soon as I can." He placed another quick kiss on her forehead and then moved to Sam who was now stirring. "Before she wakes up, I need you to know that we will have company. Please leave before she gets here. I don't think she would harm you, but I don't know."

Amanda grabbed her purse and jacket, then headed for the door. "I will miss you. Be safe." she said as she reached for the door. As she turned the handle, the door came quickly toward her as someone came in from the other side. Having been caught by surprise, Amanda fell into the wall as a formidable blonde woman pushed into the room.

"I didn't know you would have company." Caroline said coolly shooting a glance at Amanda. "I should have figured, the best way to convince a man to betray his bosses would be through money and women."

"If you don't mind, you can leave her out of this. She is actually what you want, right?" and he motioned toward the bed.

"Yes. Do you mind helping me get her to my car?"

"Of course not." Edward motioned toward Amanda, "Will you help me get her coat on and carry her bag for me?"

Sam started to be able to comprehend the conversations. The cool voice of her blonde hunter seeped into her consciousness. Amanda propped her up by the waste and was pulling her arms through her black leather jacket.

"NO! I must get out of here!" Sam tried to scream. However, the sedative had not worn off and her body was still not connected with her brain. It came out as a jumbled mess of words and groans.

"Shh… Everything will be fine. Please just trust me." Edward whispered in her ear, but Sam wanted nothing less than to trust anyone at this moment. Particularly a strange man who was now lifting her from her bed. Sam could see a head of red curls off to her side.

"Please Amanda, help me. This can't be happening." Sam was getting desperate. Her limbs were starting to regain feeling. She could wiggle her toes, and open her eyes.

As the four left the hotel, Sam took one last desperate measure. She threw her weight and jumped free from Edward's arms. Though her limbs were not quite responding, she still tried to run. The blonde was there to grab her and pushed her quickly into her vehicle.

"Thank you so much for your help. Her family will be so happy to know that she is safe. Now she can go back and get the care that she needs." Caroline said to the other two.

"What do we do now?" Edward asked the blonde, as he grabbed hands with Amanda.

"I will call you. I have your number." Caroline said sharply, and started to head for the driver's side door.

Amanda lunged forward to embrace Caroline. With teary eyes she said, "Thank you so much. She needs to go somewhere she is safe. I have never seen someone so tired and scared." But as soon as Amanda had the hesitant woman in an embrace, she felt the familiar collapse of the fast-acting sedative. She removed the disc from her arm and let the blonde fall to the ground by her vehicle. Edward moved quickly for the back door of the car to release its hostage. Sam was fully awake, and now starting to panic.

"What are you doing? Who are you? What do you want for me?" she half-screamed, half-sobbed at Edward and Amanda.

"I am taking you to somewhere, truly, safe." Edward said quietly.

He helped her out of the car, and Sam looked down at the blonde. "What happened to her?"

"Your friend Amanda helped you. Now, we must leave her. I know it is hard to believe me, but you are meant for so much more. You can be so much more. Just let me show you." Edward was trying hard to sound compassionate but insistent. He had to play this all correctly, if she was going to trust and come with him.

"You did just save me from my hunter…" she whispered slightly.

"Climb in." Edward said pointing to the large SUV.

"Are you sure you aren't taking me back to the hospital?" Sam eyed the vehicle nervously. "These were the same vehicles they would drive around the complex."

Edward could not help but think that it was weird that any mental healthy facility would be driving such nice SUV's, but if her family could afford a P.I. they could also afford a very nice hospital. He would have to research it when he got home. "No, I promise. You are safe now."

Sam climbed into the SUV. Hope drove her to believe that she may finally be free of this running. Before the passenger door could close, Amanda rushed to the side of the vehicle to grab her hand. "I promise that you can trust him. This whole situation is so weird, but I promise you can trust him. He may even let us see each other again soon." Sam was flooded by feelings of relief, trust, and love. It was enough to make her relax, and accept that this was just one more step on her journey to freedom.

Amanda walked around the front of the SUV and found Edward's open door. "I mean it, I want to see her again. I have to know that she is alright."

He kissed her quickly and said his goodbyes. In just a few moments, Sam and Edward were on their way. Edward knew that James would want to meet Sam and would want to know what was going on. That could wait until they stopped. They had a sixteen-hour drive to reach their destination, and he knew they wouldn't be flying. It would all be by car. It was probably for the best though, as it would give them plenty of time to talk and prepare her for her new life. There would be much that she would want to know.



© 2014 immac


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on January 2, 2014
Last Updated on January 18, 2014
Tags: indigo children, young adult, fiction, supernatural, indigo, sci-fi, drama, mental illness, teen


Author

immac
immac

TX



About
Teacher, animal lover, tree-hugger, and future foster mom. I am starting my first major work. I am looking for constructive feedback, encouragement, and maybe some help editing. :-) more..

Writing
Indigo Ch. 1 Indigo Ch. 1

A Chapter by immac


Indigo Ch. 2 Indigo Ch. 2

A Chapter by immac


Indigo Ch. 3 Indigo Ch. 3

A Chapter by immac