"It's not that complicated"

"It's not that complicated"

A Poem by Christine

The deciding factor for whether or not a relationship takes shape is entirely dependent upon conviction, even if such convictions are at odds with the loose loyalties we have to another person. But no amount of convincing and rationalizing is enough to ignore the possibility of minute warning signs, the slightest objection,  annoyance, or observation. We figure this out quickly; we’ll lose interest possibly as soon as it's been established. And it will be an all-or-nothing realization one day when this girl just doesn't do it for him. And he'll expect her to know he's spent time thinking about it while brushing his teeth and going to bed one night, as if he's relayed this realization over to her in his dreams which he constitutes as reality, as if he's exerted enough energy thinking about this on his own. And he'll be furious with her when she doesn't realize the amount of lackadaisical thought that went into this epiphany, furious that she would dare undermine his realization because she may be blissfully unaware of it, or worse, entirely aware of it. And when this awareness seeps into consciousness, when you know things feel off but convince yourself it would be silly to say something, you submit to self deception. You start to mistrust your own intuition and force yourself into pretending everything is normal because he would never make you play games in your own mind. It's the difference between asking “are you ignoring me?” and knowing you're being ignored without asking; If you lead with the former, you submit to appearing insecure, requiring a specific response which only worsens the problem at hand because you allow him to generate excuses; he can still sleep at night thinking he's a great guy for not hurting your feelings. If you lead with the latter, with the certain suspicion that you're being discounted in some subtle way, you'll grow resentful because you know he is desperately trying to cling to his method of madness, hoping you'll just catch on without saying anything, passively accepting the reality he's made clear in his own mind but not your's. It's not as if it's a particularly unfamiliar reality; people can just become nothing to you. Randomly. Without explanation. And you'll know this reality, you'll face it everyday when you wake up and you'll be furious at its absurdity and you'll hope you don't make it any worse by trying to talk about it. It hurts on both ends. She'll want to take part in her own masochism, forcing him against his will to admit the very thing he wanted to avoid. So what options are we left with? We either sacrifice our confidence for insecurity, or we play dumb, undermining what we've managed to extrapolate from ambiguous and impossible subtleties. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that he still doesn't like you. 

© 2013 Christine


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on March 25, 2013
Last Updated on April 7, 2013

Author

Christine
Christine

Boston, MA



About
This box should remain empty. more..

Writing