Chapter 22

Chapter 22

A Chapter by My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer

 

Chapter Twenty-Two
 
Friday Afternoon – 3:30 PM
 
“Is something the matter, Mr. Ellis?” Mosby looked out at the rows of desks in front of him and there were thirty-seven fifth graders staring back at him. That’s when he realized that some time after his witty discussion of the founding of the thirteen colonies he had lapsed into a long, long silence. A quick glance at the clock confirmed that for at least ten minutes he had been standing there, immobilized and silent before seventy-four inquisitive eyes while his overactive imagination was running wild with explanations of why he hadn’t heard from Lilly. He cleared his throat. “Well class, have all of your finished your list?”
 
“What list, Mr. Ellis.”
 
“The list you were supposed to be working on for the last ten minutes. The list of the causes that led up to the Revolutionary War.” He was literally saved by the bell.
 
“Well, if you didn’t finish making your list, that will be your homework assignment. I’ll see all of you tomorrow.”
 
After leaving schoo Mosby went directly to Lilly’s shop. When he saw the boarded up glass and the police tape he was immediately seized with an overwhelming sense of panic. He felt himself going to pieces. In the last twenty-four hours he had tried to convince himself that there was a perfectly reasonable explanation for Lilly’s failure to call him. He really loved the odd Gypsy woman. Over the past couple of years he had grown accustomed to her quirky ways and her peculiar world view. He adored her and he knew the feeling was mutual. They made a strange pair – a thirty-year old teacher and a sixty-year old Romani woman. But they had both found relief from their isolation in their weird and wonderful friendship. Mosby would entertain Lilly with accounts of the antics of his fifth grades. In return she would tell him tales of the old country while serving him those marvelous soups and stews that she miraculously created in the tiny kitchen in the back of her shop. One day Lilly had made an unexpected request. “I trust you Mosby Ellis. I trust you not to laugh at an old woman so I will ask this favor of you. I will ask you, my friend, to teach me how to read.”
 
They had begun that evening using the copy of Peter and the Starcatcher that he had in his backpack. Lilly was a good student. A grateful student.
 
If she had been hurt, Mosby would never forgive himself. He couldn’t go home. Lilly had no family for him to call. As he stood there, trying to decide what to do next he became aware that someone was watching him.
 
“She was a friend of your’s, wasn’t she?”
 
“Yes. Lilly is my friend. Do you know what happened to her?”
 
The old woman nodded. “I live right up there.” She pointed to a second story window of run down apartment building across the street. I heard the sirens a little after midnight. I was awake anyway. Don’t sleep so good anymore. I looked out my window and there were cops all up and down the street. And an ambulance. After a while they took a woman away in handcuffs. A long time later they brought someone else out on a gurney. It was that woman that owned the tattoo parlor – your friend. She was dead.”
 
He gripped the old woman by her shoulder. “How do you know it was Lilly?”
 
She freed herself and stepped back apprehensively. “I heard it from the cops. There were all over the place asking everybody if they had heard anything. I heard one of them say that the Gypsy woman was murdered. I really am sorry about your friend, Mister.”
 
Mosby knew what he had to do. As soon as he got home he dialed the “crime stopper” tip line.
 
“This is Mosby Ellis. I am calling about the murder of Lillian Petulengro. I believe her death is connected to the body that was found at Tysons Corner. Please call me. Lilly was my best friend. My telephone number is 202-337-3733.” Mosby replaced the receiver and sank down onto the couch. Suddenly he felt lonelier than he had ever felt in his life.
 
Fifteen minutes later the telephone rang. Mosby picked it up immediately. He knew it had to be the police. He never got calls from anyone but Lilly. “Hello.”
 
“This is Detective Jack Jocoby. Am I speaking to Mosby Ellis?”
 
“Yes, Detective. This is Mosby Ellis.”
 
“You have information about the murder of Mrs. Petulengro. Can you tell me how you became learned about this incident? We just released the identity of the victim to the press about fifteen minutes ago.” 
 
“Like I said, Lilly was my best friend. I hadn’t been able to reach her for the last twenty-four hours. I was worried so I went by her shop this afternoon after school.”
 
“Okay, Mr. Ellis. I’d like to hear what you have to say.”
 
“Detective, I’d rather discuss this in person. Can I come down there now?”
 
“Sure. I’m at the Fifth District - 1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE. When you get here, tell them Detective Jacoby is expecting you.”
 
“I’ll be there is twenty minutes.”
 




© 2008 My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
Added on February 7, 2008


Author

My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer
My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer

Falls Church, VA



About
My first novel was inspired by my own childhood on Pungo Creek in rural North Carolina where I grew up in a house shared by three generations. It seems it took a lifetime to write but it was actually.. more..

Writing