Meet the Four

Meet the Four

A Chapter by Eve & Ari
"

This chapter introduces all the four main characters from their own angle.

"

Elena Arthen tilted her head to lean against the icy glass window of her father’s black convertible. They had been driving from Connecticut to Ashen Peak for over two hours. The road seemed to be going on perpetually. The sky thundered and roared with rage as the small black convertible drove on the wet pavement. The rain splattered against the concrete road ruthlessly; wetting it casting a silver sheen. Elena’s eyelid slowly fell as she listened to the therapeutic rhythm that the rain made when it hit the hard icy floor. Ever since she was an infant in her crib, she had love the harmonic melody the rain makes…it relaxed her…and made her feel closer to the Earth.  As soon as her mind drifted off with her consciousness; the car halted and released an ear piercing screech. Elena was thrust forward as her milk chocolate round pupil dilated with fear and terror. Despite the terror she was in, she managed to take in the image of her father in fright, steering the wheel vigorously trying to gain control of the black car…but yet, before she could catch a glimpse of her mother’s expression, the car flipped over as the sound of her parents call for help echoed in her mind. Elena’s eyes closed shut. Strangely enough, she woke up almost minutes later, and was standing outside in the rain watching their black convertible flickered up in flames. She stood there, confused and in horror. The birds nearby cawed, flapped their wings and quickly flew away as if they sensed the evil present. Elena terrorized with fear and shock saw the three red claws engraved on both her parent’s neck. The red blood dripped down to her mother’s white blouse, staining it as if alluding to the permanent tarnish the incident had made in her life. Elena unaware of the black image in front of her ran towards her parents in agony. Her small red shoes pattered against the puddle the rain had made but there was no energy left in her tiny seven years old body, she fell against the hard cement floor, bruising her knee. Her outfit that her mother had perfectly picked out earlier was soaked with rain, and tainted with dirt. She crawled toward her parents as the rain continued falling unforgivably. Her small seven year old hands shook her parents with as much force as her little body could provide. Her vision was blurred by the lakes in her eyes.

 

Elena: *crying* Mommy! Daddy! Wake up! Please wake up! Don’t go to sleep forever! Mommy! I’m scared, please don’t leave me! Mommy! Daddy! Please don’t leave me…I have nowhere to go. I have no one…mommy.

 

Elena heard a muffled laughter, her drenched pigtail that her mother had flawlessly styled jerked up as she looked up. The dark image walked closer and closer to her; the sound of his foot step was steady and loud. Elena closed her eyes in fear and hugged her knees, whispering to herself that this was all a bad dream. When she didn’t hear anymore foot step she opened up her eyes hoping to see her mother’s lovely and cheerful face telling her its dinner time. However, instead of that she looked straight into the eyes of a young boy. Though his eyes were serious, and intense but Elena miraculously felt secure and safe.

 

Elena eyelid lifted up, she glanced around and noticed that she was in her dim empty room. She must’ve fallen asleep while catching up on her readings. Sitting in front of her old wooden desk, she could see the rain outside. She had grown to dislike the rain since it flooded back memories…unwanted and unexplainable memories. Elena would’ve thought it was all a nightmare if it wasn’t for the three clawed scar left on her upper right forearm. Three clawed scar that was so similar to the one on her parent’s neck that night. Except theirs were filled with blood and hers was just a scar; she didn’t understand how everything came together since it was more than a decade ago, but she recalled waking up in the hospital with her grandmother next to her. She remembered asking where her parents were, but the blood shot and swollen eyes her grandmother wore were enough to tell her everything.

 

Elena shivered; the digital clock next to her was the only light in the entire room. It illuminated with a soft blue light that read 3:00AM. Elena eyes searched for the moon in the pool of darkness outside conscientiously. It was full moon; and somewhere in the distance a howl could be heard followed by the echo of birds flapping their wings.

 

Elena pulled her lavender robe closer to herself; she used to love the sound of the rain at night. It was so comforting to her, so melodic, almost like a lullaby that eased her to sleep. However, now a dark rainy night would always transport her back to when she was seven. Though Elena knew it been over a decade and she needs to let go, she somehow could never truly fully let go of the incidence.  It was always in the back of her mind, and a night like tonight would always drag it back out. She pulled opened the draw to her right and laying in the draw was an old blue album. She gently reached in and pulled out the old blue album. The word “album” was scribbled on the cover with gold paint but over the years it almost entirely faded away. Elena gently opened up the book and saw the image of her parents and her when she was five. She was so blissful and blessed back then, smiling like there’s nothing to worry about. If only she could smile whole heartily like that now. She sighed and knew that school would start in less than four hours, she was entering her last year of high school now. She closed the album shut and reminded herself that she would live her senior year and cherish it instead of always running away from her life. She placed the album back in her draw; clumsily she knocked over the lamp on her table. Her heart skipped a beat as she scuttled to pick it up, hoping that the glass didn’t shatter. She sighed with relief when the lamp was all in one piece, but the relief dissipated when she heard a knock on her door.

 

Eleanor: Elena honey. Is everything alright?

Elena: Yes. I’m sorry I woke you up!

Eleanor: It’s okay dear. Go to bed, it’s late and you have to wake up early tomorrow for school.

Elena: I know. I will.

Eleanor: Okays . I’m going to be downstairs if you need anything

Elena: I know. Good night Eleanor.

Eleanor: Night my child

 

Elena could hear Eleanor’s footstep walking down the old creepy staircase. She sighed and crawled into her bed. She pulled the sheet up to her chin and closed her eyelid.

 

Elena: Yes. Tomorrow is going to be my first day of a new life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ashen Peak High was a small high school with approximately less than 200 students. The high school was built on a higher elevation, gazing down upon the old town.  Ashen   Peak definitely wasn’t for the glamorous; it was a small old town with a population of less than 500 people. It was isolated from the world, and to the ignorant that lives on the other side it was supposed to be a haunted and cursed. Though haunted and cursed seem to be a bit of an exaggeration, Ashen Peak High was definitely not an ordinary town. The town seemed to be in the midst of a gloomy and eerie atmosphere. Vex Slayen was standing outside the old beat up high school, his 6 foot height casted a slanted shadow of 6’5 to his right. Though the shadow elongated his height, it mirrored his strong, built body perfectly. It was 5 A.M and no one seems to be awake. The morning sky had just been to crack through the dark rainy night. He knew that within two hours, humans would begin populating this area. He had no intention of making friends with them, and no intention attending a human school, especially since the amount of knowledge he possessed was far greater than any human. He was a wild born, a fierce, and independent man. He didn’t understand why he arrived at this town, something about it drawn him to it. Was it the bewitched, sepulchral, and placid ambiance that this town possessed? Or his desire of fitting in for once?

Vex dark features began to look more palpable as dawn began to fight its way through the sky. The front of his dark purple almost black hair hovered over his forehead. His dark eyes scanned the area for something to devour, he was hungry and knew he needed to hunt an animal, maybe a deer to keep his power suppressed. Yes. A deer would be enough. His black wings liberated from his back and expanded to its full size. His body leaped up into the air as his claws emerged, leaving behind a furry of dark feathers. 

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alicia tumbled down from a tall tree and landed back first onto the bitter forest floor. The impact of the landing created a rumble that caused leaves to float down. Naomi, a small bird came out of her soul.

Naomi: Come on Alicia! Get back up and fight him! He’s bad news!

Alicia: I know, I know!

Alicia immediately got back up and wiped dirt off the side of her mouth with her white jacket sleeve. 

 

I’ve been running and facing danger since I can remember. These people have been trying to chase me, trying to take me somewhere; Naomi claims that she knows they were under the rule of Fregata Magnificens, someone who apparently took over my parent’s Kingdom. You see, I don’t remember my parents. I don’t remember anything. Not even my name. The only things I remember are my natural born instincts… and my ability to fight.

 

Alicia’s adrenalines rushed throughout her body as she spotted the guy in sinister black attire descend towards her. He had black hair and had a fair build. His face was hidden under a dark, mysterious mask. He was followed by men in completely black capes.

 

Mysterious Person: You are coming with me. Stop hiding in the Human World and come back! With you being the royal heir to the throne, Master needs you dead!

Alicia: Like I said before, I don’t know what you are talking about! I don’t even know you!

Mysterious Person: You don’t even recognize my voice? What a pity. Your memory is terrible.

Alicia: My memory is none of your business!

 

As she said that, she surged into the air and attempted to land a right punch to the mysterious person’s face. He blocked it effortlessly with his palm. Alicia wasn’t done with him yet! She immediately kicked the person, but he leaped backwards, without making a single sound.

 

The only thing I seem to have in common with him are my wings… the only difference is that his’ are bigger and are as dark as midnight. Mine are white; as white as untouched snow.

 

Suddenly, a voice barked an order into his ear. He made a face and quickly conversed with his minions.

Mysterious Person: I will come back for you, no matter you like it or not.

And with that, he disappeared into a black orb with a faint red glow. His minions disappeared after him in smokes.

 

Alicia landed a perfect landing on the ground.

Alicia: *sighs* What is this life I lead?! I don’t remember anything, I don’t know who I am, I don’t even know what’s the point of my existence! I hate always running from those evil people!

Naomi: *sighs* You will understand later. You are a natural born fighter and a leader. You do have a place in the world. Not in this world, but in another world.

Alicia’s head hurt. Whenever she tried to remember her past, her head seared in pain. For three years, she has been on Earth, living on trees, trying to survive.

 

Oh, and I must add. I also have to keep an eye out for those b******s. They come in the most randomest times!

As Alicia walked on the crunchy, dry autumn leaves, her stomach began to rumble. She had the genes of the bird, and the stomach of the bird. She could eat a mountain of food and would still be hungry. Her body needed it. Her heart beats faster than humans, and she has a high metabolic rate. 

Naomi: Come on, let’s grab some grub!

Naomi merged back into Alicia’s soul. Alicia ran through the forest with lightning speed. Her hair blew back with the cool, crisp wind. She knew the forest backwards and forwards. It was almost like her territory- a place where she knew every twist and turn and every dangerous place.

As she reached the end of the forest, she made her wings disperse into light. It was a nifty adaptation of hers. Alicia walked into town, getting occasional glances from the townspeople. She wasn’t exactly the cleanest person in town. Her hair was a bit matted and her white jacket had dirt all over it. Her white leather boots were caked with mud. She strolled into a tiny café and ordered five bowls of salad, a side of two medium rare stakes, and three cups of water. Waiters who took her order normally reacted with a strange stare. “Are you crazy?!” were written over their faces. However, since she did have the money (which Naomi usually produced out of nowhere [or so Alicia thought]) to pay for the food, the waiters would abide and take the order. She could finish the whole meal in fifteen minutes. She needed to eat a lot in order to fuel her body.

After her scrumptious lunch, she walked out and headed down the town. It was a small town that was situated next to the forest. Mountains could be seen in the distance. She walked down a street and passed by a small house. Instinctively, Alicia stopped. She felt a difference presence. She didn’t know why, but her long legs started acting on their own and walked towards the house. Her hand knocked on the door. After about a minute, an old woman who was a few inches shorter than Alicia opened the door. The old woman gave her a friendly smile.

Old Woman: Well greetings dear! I have been expecting you. Come in, come in!

Alicia, puzzled, hesitated. She sensed dark energy from the old woman, but it wasn’t… evil. She stepped in and took off her boots. The old woman went into the tiny kitchen and made tea. She came out and told Alicia to sit.

Old Woman: Hello dear. My name is Eleanor. Please, sit! There’s not much space, but it’s pretty comfy!

Alicia sat down on the worn sofa. She stared at the steam rising from the tea.

Eleanor: It’s rosemary tea. Try it, it’s really refreshing!

Without saying anything, Alicia took the delicate tea cup and sipped from it. Indeed, it did taste good.

Alicia: It’s delicious.

Eleanor: *warm smile* Thank you, I’d knew you enjoy it! So tell me dear, what is your name?

Alicia: A-Alicia.

Eleanor: Ahh. I see. I also see that you are special, unique. You aren’t from here.

Alicia’s eyes widened. What should she do? How can some old stranger know that she isn’t from here?!

Eleanor: *closes eyes* I see feathers. White feathers. Wings! You are a special one!

Alicia: W-Who are you?

Eleanor: Oh, I’m a grandma! I have a loving young granddaughter. Though she likes to keep to herself.

Alicia: How do you know… about me?

Eleanor: Well I’m sure you felt my presence too. If you didn’t you wouldn’t have come here, right?

Alicia: Yes, I did.

Eleanor: Let’s just say I know a lot of things about legends and places besides Earth. I’m not some normal human myself! ^^” *studies Alicia* You know, this is a first time for me to actually converse with a descendent of the birds. Where do you live? Do you have a place to stay?

Alicia: The forest is my home.

Eleanor: Oh my! Where do you sleep?

Alicia: I sleep high up in the trees. That is where I feel most safe�"high above the grounds.

Eleanor: Haven’t you got family?

Alicia: … I have none.

Eleanor: You are a brave young woman. Do you have an education?

Alicia: Education?

Eleanor: You know, like school.

Alicia: I-I’m not sure.

Her eyes darted from left to right, nervous.

Did I have an education? Was I tutored? By who? With who?

Suddenly, Naomi came out from Alicia’s soul.

Naomi: Greetings, kind being. I am Naomi, Alicia’s guardian.

Eleanor: My, you have such pure plumage! Your soul, Alicia, must be pure.

Naomi: I’m afraid, that Alicia has lost her memories and only remember events that occurred for the past three years.

Eleanor: My, that’s terrible!  … May I ask of your last name?

Alicia: Arden. Alicia Arden.

Eleanor: A-Arden you say? I’ve read in my studies that the Arden bloodline has been a strong and resilient bloodline! I, myself am a descendant of the Arthen clan.

Naomi: *nods in understanding* I see. It is nice to see a descendant of the Arthen clan alive and well.

Eleanor: Yes. Same to you two too! Now about your education…

Eleanor persuaded Alicia to attend Ashen Peak High, the only high school in the town.  It was a bit separated from the buildings. It was somewhat close to the forest.

There was a keys jangling by the door and they all looked towards it. Eleanor: Ahh, it seems like my grandchild has returned home!  

Naomi perched onto Alicia’s right shoulder. Elena came in, unsmiling as usual. Her dark brown hair blew softly in the wind. Her brown eyes settled on Alicia. She sensed some strong power coming from the golden haired girl.

Elena: Who is this?

Elena asked as she entered the small room. They two girls stared at each other sensing with their own abilities.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Aidan Chevalier, a tall, slim man that showed a hint of muscles through his attire. He was tall, with the height of 6’3. His jet back hair blended into the 

eerie night. The only brightness came from his incomprehensible, glowing red eyes. They stared blankly at the person before him, who resembled a lot

like him. This other person glared at him, with his fiery blue eyes, his blonde hair ruffling in the wind. He wore royal apparel that shone in the moonlight. 

Ian: Brother, why did you come back. You do not belong here. You’ve betrayed us!

Aidan: Silence fool! You’re only incompetent because you don’t know how to survive.

Ian: I’m doing what’s right. I’m staying by the King’s and Queen’s side. You are disgracing the Chevalier blood! Who are you to join the Slayen tribe? You

really have been blinded by the power of darkness. I’ve always known you will be. Now, you hunt someone precious to you. Is that moral to you? 

Aidan: It is none of your business! I will do what I think is right. You can remain loyal to the Ardens, but I will leave. He ruffled out his dark, black wings 

and began to take off.

Ian: Don’t you ever show your face here again! You are unwanted!

Aidan, ignoring his brother, expanded his fourteen foot span of wings and flew into the sky. His silent down strokes brought him high up, unseen by 

anyone. Ian Chevalier turned around and strolled back to the Hidden Temple. It was where the Ardens were banished and hidden.

All of the Bird Kingdom, which once was a bright, heavenly kingdom, was now shrouded with a cloak of darkness. Back at the Royal Nest, which used to be 

the palace of the Ardens, was now morbid and grim. It now housed Fregata Magnificens, a dark ruler corrupted by evil, that wanted total control of the 

Kingdom. Every avian species had to bow down to his rein. They could not revolt, or they would simply be banished or killed by Fregata’s minions. The 

white, fluffy clouds that once floated throughout the Kingdom were dark and gray. The grand water fountains were barren. Dull coins sat at the bottom.

It has been three long years… I hope you are well, Alicia. I hope that Brother did not find you yet. You will protect yourself, even if I’m not there. I’m sure 

you’re surprised of what became of Brother, right? I hope you despise him. He has no right to have a place in your heart. All those nice, peaceful times 

of the past are gone. I bid you farewell, Alicia.

 

Ian descended down the stairs, his boots stepping on the dark, murky puddles of water. Rats ran around, squeaking; their glowing red eyes glaring at Ian. 

Ian created an orb of light and continued on into the bitter darkness. He hated. No, he loathed it. It was something he never understood why his Brother 

enjoyed it. He hated his brother too. That traitor. 

 

 

You will soon find out, my Brother. As to why I’m doing something so incomprehensible to you.

Aidan placed a dark, black mask over his face and flew through the night, scanning the forest.  He caught a current of wind and flew through it, enjoying 

the coolness of it. 

Alicia Arden, you will be mine. 

 

To Be Continued...



© 2014 Eve & Ari


Author's Note

Eve & Ari
Ignore Grammar Problems & Leave a comment on your thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on August 3, 2014
Last Updated on August 3, 2014
Tags: Fantasy, Mystery, Dark, Love, Drama, Power, Supernatural, Fall, Angels, Wings, Birds, Magic


Author

Eve & Ari
Eve & Ari

About
We're two best friends that wrote together ever since we were young! Now we decided we should share our writing with the internet community! Please feel free to leave any comments! more..

Writing