Cataract Surgery in India at Eye Surgery Hospitals of Delhi and Mumbai

Cataract Surgery in India at Eye Surgery Hospitals of Delhi and Mumbai

A Story by Atul Sharma
"

Today many abroad patients are undertaking cataract surgery in India. The reason for this is that Indian hospitals have sophisticated techniques of eye surgery and the cost of these surgeries has drop

"
Introduction

Cataract surgery is an operation in which the inner natural lens of the eyes is removed, after it has assumed a cloudy form due to aging, vision injury or other causes. In most cases the eye surgeon replaces the cloudy natural lens with an artificial lens known as intraocular lens to restore vision and remove the need of thick glasses after the surgery. This surgery is one of the most frequently performed operations of the eyes in the world. Research studies reveal that three million cataract surgeries are performed each year in the US itself.

How many types of cataract are there?

There are three kinds of cataract:

1)   The first one is a nuclear cataract that is located in the center of the lens. The nucleus is most generally seen immediately after its formation. It has been estimated that the cause of this type of cataract is due to the structure of proteins as the person ages.
2)   A cortical cataract commences on the outer part of the lens and slowly extends to the center. This cataract is common for people who are suffering from diabetes.
3)   A sub capsular cataract is seen at the back of the eye lens. Persons who have a high risk of developing this type of cataract are those who suffer from diabetes, who have high ratio of far sightedness and who take high quantity of steroids.  

Success rate of cataract surgery

The success rate of cataract surgery with today’s advanced methods and sophisticated equipments is 95%. On the other hand the risk of becoming blind with this surgery is very low. For a few patients where surgery does not result improvement in the vision, there are certain causes like diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration.

Main causes of cataract?
Following are the main causes of cataract:
1)     Cataract is a natural age related process that’s why it is known as senile cataract. It usually starts at the age of 40 years and enhances the opaqueness of the eye lens. This is one of the most common causes of cataract disease.
2)     Younger persons also suffer from cataract disease due to systemic diseases like hypertension, diabetes mellitus and hyperlipidemia.
3)     Ocular diseases like glaucoma, tumors and uveitis also are the cause of cataract. Sometimes cataract also occurs after glaucoma surgeries, laser surgeries and retinal surgeries.
4)     Alcoholism cataract is caused due to excessive consumption of alcohol. Even malnutrition and smoking along with deficiency of Vitamin C and Vitamin E cause cataract.
5)     Genetics also play a vital role in the rise of cataract disease. Families having cataract due to hereditary do not get permanent relief from this disease. 

Who is an eligible candidate for cataract surgery?
A person is regarded eligible for getting cataract surgery if he has:
1)     Poor night vision
2)     Blurred vision
3)     Halos and glare around night lights
4)     Sensitivity towards light
5)     The requirement of bright light at the time of reading

Preparations for cataract surgery

While doing preparations for cataract surgery the patient will be asked about:

1)   Previous eye disorders
2)   Current prescription of vision surgery
3)   Previous medical problems and operations undertaken by the patient
4)   Blood pressure and breathing difficulties while lying down
5)   Inflammatory reactions and allergy towards drugs

What are the benefits of cataract surgery?

Cataract surgery is among those few surgical procedures that can reverse the hand of time for many patients who used to enjoy their vision during youth. Following are the main benefits of cataract surgery:

1)     Improvement in color vision: Once cataract is cured then the patient can enjoy improved color vision. The colors appear more vibrant and vivid after the surgery.
2)     Improvement in clarity of vision: After the surgery the quality of vision is improved. The patient can enjoy reading and watching television with a sharp eye vision.
3)     Enhanced independence: After getting the surgery the eyesight of many patients is improved so they can get back their drivers license.
4)     Better quality of life: Improved eye vision leads to improvement in the quality of life. The person after getting the surgery succeeds on various fronts of life.

Why consider India for cataract surgery? 

You can find the best eye surgery hospitals in Indian metro cities like Delhi and Mumbai. These hospitals in India can provide you with a low cost cataract surgery. Recently there is a rise in abroad patient cases for cataract surgery because the price of this surgery has been dropped to a considerable extend. Cataract surgery is available in combination with recuperative holidays and this is a form of Indian medical tourism. Indian eye surgeons provide patients with optimal solutions to cure eye problems of their patients. Indian eye surgery techniques are more sophisticated and are at par with those seen in countries like the USA and UK.

Email Us : [email protected] , To know the cost of cataract surgery in India.

© 2014 Atul Sharma


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Author

Atul Sharma
Atul Sharma

India



About
Atul Sharma has been a senior health consultant. He currently works with “Indian Health Guru” that offers medical treatment to the international patient. more..

Writing