Bangladeshi Baby Adif’s Brave Journey to India for Successful Heart Surgery

Bangladeshi Baby Adif’s Brave Journey to India for Successful Heart Surgery

A Story by Ankita Mathur
"

Read on to know how Sharmin received successful treatment in India for her just born son by Dr. Rajesh Sharma - best pediatric cardiac surgeon in India.

"



“I had never been to India before … and now I’m never going to Forget.”


The ones have been the words of a grateful mom whose new child life was saved by Dr. Rajesh Sharma best heart surgeon.


For Sharmin Mujeeb of Bangladesh, her extreme medial adventure began while she was pregnant and concluded with the birth of her son, Adif, and the complex heart surgery he received shortly thereafter in India. When Sharmin was three months pregnant, her doctors in Bangladesh detected a issue with her son’s heart where he was diagnosed in utero with Ventricular Hypoplasia, that's an incomplete development of an organ. In Adif’s case, the left side structure of his heart was no longer developing properly. There were concerns that the pulmonary arteries have been too narrow and he would not be able to correctly use that side of his heart.


Pediatric cardiologists in Bangladesh who confirmed the diagnosis, collectively, the doctors decided the first-class path would be to display and treat the baby in India as the hospitals in Bangladesh could not meet his complex medical needs. “One of the biggest hurdles for us was the financial affordability of this treatment. Thankfully, with the help of some friends, we were able to get the word out about our baby. When people heard about our dire need, support poured in from all over. The mortality rate in Bangladesh for a child with this condition is around 95 percent,” notes Sharmin. “That’s why we decided to come to India and specifically get treated by Dr. Rajesh Sharma best heart surgeon.”


At seven months, Sharmin made the journey to India to have physicians screen her infant and prepare for eventual surgical operation after his birth. After completing a fetal echocardiogram, Dr. Sharma confirmed that the baby had single ventricle physiology wherein best functioning ventricle was pumping blood. Dr. Rajesh Sharma continued to monitor the baby until his birth; baby Adif was transferred to Fortis Escorts Heart Institute in New Delhi just few hours later after his birth.


“When Adif was born, we saw him too small. We knew he ought to have some operations,” notes Dr. Rajesh Sharma. “Primarily based on what we noticed, we thought there was chance he will continue to live with the Ross-Konno procedure.” During the surgical operation, Dr. Rajesh Sharma first tried to open the valve more; however the infant’s valve was not big enough. As an alternative, the damaged valve was replaced and the small aorta patched to make it bigger. “The operation was a big one for a little baby,” says Dr. Sharma.


The whole procedure worked out well. Adif was in the cardiac ICU for 11 days then transferred to a regular room. He was discharged and continued to be seen for follow up care in India before he and his mom went back home in Bangladesh. Because with his age his heart will grow up and the new valve will not, Adif will need more surgical procedures to replace the valve till his heart stops growing. Sharmin intends to go back to Bangladesh to have the additional surgical procedures.


 “The surgery went well and he has improved a lot,” notes Sharmin. “I’m hoping the other remaining surgeries goes well and that he has a life like another baby.” while she returned home, but most significantly, she remembers the care Adif received under the guidance of Dr. Rajesh Sharma. “I don´t have enough words to say thank you so much," says Sharmin. “I’m so grateful in my heart, with Dr. Rajesh Sharma and all the nurses, they saved my son´s life. I will not forget this experience; it has most undoubtedly changed my life for the better. We are so grateful everyday for our baby. But I must say, we were quite happy about our experience in India” said Sharmin.


Consult Dr. Rajesh Sharma for best heart treatment in India. You can call +91-986075500 or Email medical reports and send query at [email protected]

View website :  www.indianmedguru.com/fortishealthcare-hospital-delhi-mumbai-bangalore-india/doctors/dr-rajesh-sharma.html


 

 

© 2020 Ankita Mathur


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

364 Views
Added on February 7, 2020
Last Updated on February 7, 2020
Tags: cardiac surgeon, heart surgery, pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon

Author

Ankita Mathur
Ankita Mathur

Goa, Maharashtra, India



About
I am a healthcare consultant, doing research on best hospitals and surgeons in India for different treatments. more..

Writing