a few words about words

a few words about words

A Story by bob, small b. aka invs
"

about words, a theory of relativity, and a spoonful of stardust

"

For a while now Ive been thinking about words. Ok. Im a little strange, but I love words. There is little in life that amazes or thrills me more than either finding or putting together words that express thoughts in ways that are completely unexpected and enlightening. I love reading them, writing them, hearing them, and playing with them. Those of you who share my passion understand. Those of you who dont might as well quit reading now.


 

One thing Ive been thinking about specifically is the relative weight of words. Ive noticed that those of us that care the most about words are the ones most easily hurt by them. Perhaps the only thing that can damage a lover of words more than an unkind phrase is a deliberate silence, no words. But that is another issue for another time. It seems to me that those who abuse words most are the ones that are almost impervious to damage by them. They simply carry no weight to them at all. They are merely a means to an end. Maybe that's what makes politicians so resilient. Have you ever tried to reason with someone you know is lying? Perhaps a person cheating on their spouse? Or a salesman willing to say anything to make a sale? Or how about a boss who will say whatever it takes to pacify employees? No matter how you choose your words, or how well you weigh them, they merely bounce off of these people like balloons and float away. But take a careless or unkind word and toss it at someone who's in love and waits for each word that comes from the mouth or pen of a loved one and I guarantee the results will be different. They KNOW the value of words. They wrestle with them to convey their feelings. They wait for their return to fill empty spaces within them. For them, for writers, for poets, for avid readers, words are the stuff of life. Things not to be tampered with. They are much too valuable. One other casual observation before I move on. It seems to me, those who care least about words tend to use them most. Perhaps they feel that there is weight in quantity. They are wrong.


 

I was listening to the radio one day and heard a discussion about neutron stars. Neutron stars are so dense and the gravity so great that a single teaspoon of the matter of one of them would equal the weight of Mt. Everest. So what does this have to do with words? Think about the new meaning, the new weight that the concept of a teaspoon now holds. The teaspoon is still a teaspoon. The amount of matter is exactly the same, but the weight is now amazing. Now lets look at three words. "I love you." These three words are used in all sorts of relationships and situations, but their weight varies enormously. They are the same three words. They look the same and sound the same, but they can mean anything from "I care." To "I would give my life for you." We all have some people we could say "I love you" to and it would be the equivalent of a spoonful of sugar. They mean just what it looks like they mean. But if you are extremely, extremely lucky, you may have just a very few people in your life that when you say that to them, the weight is that of a teaspoon from a neutron star. And what this all means, I dont know. I guess I just want the ones I love most to know that though there may be limits to words, there is no limit to the weight of those words.


 

So to those very few I love most in my life, I offer you this: A spoonful of stardust from a neutron star with a small note attached. I love you this much.

© 2008 bob, small b. aka invs


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful...from one word lover to another... This was penned in a very easy and smooth manner; one where I could feel the words, see the images and actually fall in to the depth of what you were saying. I like the parallels that you make between words, thier weight, and thier ability to harm. I feel that way sometimes...like if I didn't care so much about words, ill words wouldn't hurt so badly. Thought provoking...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You have captured me here. The second paragraph just explained everything I feel about words, how they can mend or break a heart with their significance. I always think its also the value of the person saying the words as well...if someone you don't value says something hurtful, it hurts less then someone who you value saying them.. the weight is heavier, the meaning more dear, the hurt more painful. You expressed all that so beautifully.

Then the third paragraph..three tiny words with such vast difference in meaning. I love you ..all meaning something different yet saying the same thing. There is no limit to the weight of those words.. I could not have expressed it better.

Then your last line gave me a tear in my eye. I tell my daughters all the time.. I love you more than... and we play a game, of the largest things we can think of... I love you more than 10 million elephants, etc. It leaves them laughing and its just a very small way of expressing my love for them is so immense.

I am so happy to have read this. Thank you!

Posted 11 Years Ago


bob, small b. aka invs

11 Years Ago

i'm glad you related to this so well. i thought you would after i read your poem. you're right about.. read more
This just landed in my heart.. weighty but soft as a feathers touch.. This is full of wisdom and beauty.. "there is no limit to the weight of those words.." to me there is no limit to the love you just shared.. Excellent write my friend...xo

Posted 11 Years Ago


bob, small b. aka invs

11 Years Ago

thank you. i'm glad you enjoyed this.
Wow bob. First the tone - Told in such an Andy Rooney fireside chat style but with such gravitas! Wonderfully written and exceptional in the explaination of thought.
As to the subject matter - so deeply true and profound, it leaves little else to say - it has been said. Well, I will weave in another WOW for you.

I tend to work in a barrage of words when writing humor... but that works for the tone I work toward. In life, however - I think you nailed it. The soul of the artist gives grave consideration and weight to words given and in the context they are framed. Nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


bob, small b. aka invs

11 Years Ago

thank you for the wow's and the comments. i'm sure there is a place for verbosity (like maybe term p.. read more
I do love the way you think. This is beautiful. And I, as well as many others, feel as you do. It is very lonely to be surrounded by people who think nothing of words, and people who use them falsely, or twist them out of shape. It's also exhausting. Very heavy words. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


bob, small b. aka invs

11 Years Ago

thank you for the compliment. it's good to be part of a community of people who value words. i like .. read more
Thank you=I love you.

Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


bob, small b. aka invs

11 Years Ago

thank you.
just lovely! so sweet. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


the art of rhetoric at its best... you have the gift of persuasion. the Truth of
your words, though --- are a spoonful of stardust as well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Fantastic analogy. You are good with words, and I love how you use them so precisely. I wonder though, do dogs love their masters as much as a spoonful of a neutron star. If so, how do they express it without words. Sorry bout that, I'm just being plain silly.

Posted 11 Years Ago


bob, small b. aka invs

11 Years Ago

i think cats and dogs have other ways of communication that's just as eloquent. my cats love me enor.. read more
wonderful!

Posted 14 Years Ago


oh the power of words ,who can ever question that ,its stronger than any weapon,if in love you can melt your lovers heart no matter how stubborn and how wrong you were ,you can be as innocent as ever ,in arguement even with a lost case and you were a good talker everyone would believe you ,and even just look at you wide open mouthed like you were a saint,if a salesman with good words you can sell any goods you like,i can go on forever ,you bring here a wonderful case ,the power of words ,just wonderful i read so deep cause i just liked it from the very beginning ,some wonderful work here ,great job

Posted 15 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
15 Reviews
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on August 20, 2008

Author

bob, small b. aka invs
bob, small b. aka invs

WI



About
my name's bob. small 'b'. a hold-over from my e.e. cummings stage of writing. i just never went back to reclaim the capital B. or the capital letters to begin paragraphs and sentences. no significance.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5