Chapter 0.2

Chapter 0.2

A Chapter by Adessa

               I was very disoriented when I woke again. I wasn’t lying in bed, or even on the floor of Miss Oris’s office. I was curled across the backseat of a car, my head in someone’s warm lap and wrapped in a thick, soft blanket. I didn’t open my eyes, just listened to the faint hum of the car. After a few moments, I felt a hand on my hair, stroking it back from my face. It was odd. It obviously wasn’t Josiah; the fingers that brushed past my ear were warm. But it made me feel better, whoever it was. Like when I was kid and my dad used to stroke my hair to put me to sleep after a nightmare.

              I almost did go back to sleep, until the person I was lying on spoke.

              "How long do we have?" Caleb spoke softly, pausing his hand. But me, realizing it was Caleb, bolted upright and away from him. He looked surprised only momentarily. Then his face settled into a hard gaze.

              "Good morning," he said stonily. He leaned, straight backed, into his seat.

              "I- uh- ... sorry," I mumbled, rubbing my eyes and untangling myself from the blanket. He didn’t look at me. I felt a little wounded, but reminded myself he had kidnaped me and drugged me into submission twice. Speaking of which, even processing that simple thought seemed a little difficult. "Did ... you drug me?"

             This made him look at me suddenly. "You really aren’t stupid, are you?"

             "No, I’m not, thank you." I scratched my head and brushed hair out of my face. Glancing out the window, I suddenly noticed- it was night. The sky was velvety dark, dotted with stars. I frowned. How long had I been out cold? I wanted to ask, but there were a lot of things I wanted to ask. Somehow, my mouth felt thick and dry. Side effects of the chloroform, I guessed.

             "What did you mean, ‘demon host’?" I asked suddenly, forcing the words out. Oddly enough, they were clear.

             Caleb glanced at me with narrowed eyes. I felt my courage cringe. Something about that cold look and the immediate change in personality when he knew I was awake scared me. He watched me for a moment, seeing my falter. He turned his body slightly, so that he was nestled into the corner comfortably. His unfaltering confidence frustrated and terrified me all the same.

             "It means, there is space between your soul and your body," he said coolly, "Similar to how a parasite uses an animal body to survive. It feeds off you. Do you recall feeling drained after any of your ‘episodes’?"

              I thought for a moment. Yes, I had. But I’d always thought it came from just how violent the episodes were. I almost always attacked someone or something.

              "How is there space? I mean, isn’t a soul supposed to something entirely separate from body or something like that?"

              "Imagine something that’s been vacuum sealed; there’s no space for air, right? That is how it’s supposed to be. The soul is deeply intertwined into the physical form. But your soul is not so connected. Your package has air bubbles, so to speak," he replied, his intense stare not moving from my face.

              "... Oh." I couldn’t think of anything more intelligent to respond with. What else was there to say? Then it struck me. "Why am I only finding this out now? What happened ‘too soon’?" I asked suddenly, frowning at him.

              Caleb’s features hardened and I could feel his anger, once again. Just how could he contain so much wrath? My head was beginning to pound.

               "... Do you believe in demons?" he asked slowly. I saw the driver- Miss Oris-, glance over her shoulder. Speaking of whom- why was she so quiet? She’d seemed talkative enough in her office. Did I believe in demons though? Sure, I believed in the evil often associated with demon influence in people, but I’d also argue it was a religious idea and I’m not religious. It’s not that I don’t believe in a higher power - I do, but I simply don’t follow any religion.

              "What kind of demons?"

              He leaned back farther, slouching. "The equivalent of the most vile human soul ever born onto this planet- either physical or not. In many ways, they have no souls at all. There is no hope, no faith, no belief, no intuition- almost nothing," he said quietly, stealing a quick glance at Miss Oris. She frowned- I could see it in the mirror.

              "Then ... I guess so." I shrugged, looking to the side and pulling the blanket tighter around me. I had so many more questions, but I felt pesky as it was. But why should I be ashamed of having so many questions, when these people kidnaped and drugged me, not once, but twice?

              Caleb drew a deep breath. "There’s been an outbreak of demons. It’s only a matter of time before they swarm the country," he said sourly.

              Outbreak? Like a disease? But somehow, the way they all talked about this, it was complicated and bad, very bad. And I was a problem? I realized then, why a kidnaping was necessary. They knew this was close to happening and I was a potential problem and victim. But what about the physical demons Caleb had mentioned? I’ll find out soon enough, whether I want to or not, I thought bitterly.

              "Hm." I responded absently, turning my gaze back outside. Everyone was silent and grim. I wished they would turn on the radio or something- something distracting. My thoughts drifted back to how I and Caleb had reacted on my waking. I’d been fine with lying on him before I knew it was him and when I did realize, I wouldn’t stay there. He’d been relaxed and even stroking my hair before he realized I was awake. Maybe it was my reaction that set him off. How was I supposed to know? I never would have pinned him to have that kind of soft spot. Even now, I was tempted to return to sleeping in his lap, but I couldn’t. Besides, I wasn’t tired. Just weary. All this information was wearing on me. I let my mind drift some more, to more unreal things, to past temptations I’d had in the past, wondering which ones were me, and which ones were those of invading secrets. An idea struck me, like a slap in the face.

              "Turn the car around- we need to go back to me house. Now," I spoke sharply, letting the blanket slide off my shoulders onto the seat and I slid forward, grabbing the back of Miss Oris’s seat.

              "What? No," she said, like she was reprimanding me. I almost jumped when she spoke but didn’t. I needed the authority here. "It’s too dangerous."

              "I don’t care. You want to be branded as kidnapers and never be able to show your face in public again? Turn around," I growled.

              She frowned again. "Adena, we cannot. This outbreak is serious. If we turn back into town, you’ll be a target."

              "I don’t care! Turn around."

              Caleb leaned forward now, a crease forming between his brows. "Miss Oris, where is her medication? I know you have it - Josiah woke me on his way to get them," he said firmly.

               "You can’t be ser-"

               "Now, Miss Oris." He stretched out his hand, palm up beside her. Grudgingly, the blonde woman pressed a small orange bottle into his hand. Caleb immediately pulled it back, opened it and dropped one small pill into my hand. I stared at him dazedly for a long moment. He uttered a frustrated sigh.

               "Take it."

               "Why?" I demanded harshly, fingers closing over the familiar little capsule. I could have sworn it was burning uncomfortably into my hand.

               "You said it kept others out of your head. It better do so now." He looked towards Miss Oris again. "Turn the car around, or I’ll flood the cab, I promise."

               I pondered slightly what the odd threat could mean, but I swallowed the pill anyways. The car turned sharply, tires squealing against the cement and I was thrown against the car door. Caleb grabbed the handle on his door to remain upright. Neither of us were wearing seatbelts. Now that I thought about it- there were no seatbelts. I frowned. Why was that? I turned my attention out the windows. They were tinted, something I hadn’t noticed early. Even the front window was tinted inconveniently. I didn’t know where I was, where I had been. I knew though, that we were heading back into town now.

                "To my house," I instructed. I don’t know why, but I trusted Caleb and Josiah- I barely knew anything about them. I didn’t trust Miss Oris, but I trusted the two guys. How odd.

                "Is there anything I should expect?" I asked, glancing sideways at Caleb.

                He looked thoughtful for a moment. "Expect to feel assaulted," he finally said, staring forward.

                "You said there were bodyless demons- in plural. What does that mean?"

                "That means that there are going to be some people acting out soon."

                "But they can’t enter if that person has an attached soul, right?" I said crossly, frowning.

                Caleb didn’t look at me, but I saw shadows fall across his face. "Some people don’t have souls," he said evenly.

                I blinked. That though had never occurred to me. I had thought everyone had a soul. Even the most horrible people. But now that I though about, yes, the most horrible people would have souls. I went to school with half the twits that were probably assaulting people left right and center. Another thought occurred to me- if this had happened before, where was the chaos then? The burning buildings and screaming people, like in a bad horror movie?

                 "This has happened before, right?" I asked suspiciously.

                 Caleb studied my face closely. "Yes, but only small leaks. A couple demons here and there."

                  "I mean the bigger spills."

                  "... Yes, it’s happened." Something in his expression seemed to steal up, like he was hiding some concealed emotion. Fear? Shame? Anger? No, not anger. His anger was just under the surface.

                  "Why didn’t I, or anyone, notice? You would think someone would notice people acting all homicidal and destructive.." I muttered, leaning my face into my hand, staring out the window. I was frustrated.

                  There was a long silence. "Demons are smarter than you think," he said quietly, but I could hear a tinge of bitterness in his voice. He, too, turned to look out the window. I watched his reflection. He really was quite handsome- the gentle curves of his hair, dark brown, against his even, clear complexion; his dark intense eyes, and the dark lashes; the strong angular curve of his jaw- it wasn’t square, or pointed, but it was flattering. He was tan too. Not the kind of tan Josiah. Josiah could’ve spent his life in a basement playing Fable II for his entire life and still be that brown. Caleb was the tan from being outdoors. And it suited him well. After a few minutes, I realized too late that his gaze had focused on mine in the glass.

                  Cheeks burning, I looked back out the window. The lights of the city were starting to replace the darkness of the country. I sat up, leaning forward so that I could speak with Miss Oris.

                  "Stop a block from my house. Out of sight. By this time, my foster parents’ll be home," I instructed.

                  "You mean they’re home?" She began to turn. I reached forward and straightened the wheel in her grasp.

                 "I have a plan. It wouldn’t work if they weren’t home."

                 She frowned at me over her shoulder, her hard grey eyes sending a shiver down my spine. But she didn’t try to turn around again.

                  I sat back into the seat, bundling the blanket around me. I suddenly felt a rush of urgency, a kind of anxiety. I was taking action. Doing something. I was taking this step, though, into dark territory. What was I doing? Had I lost my mind? What the hell was I thinking? I looked down at my lap. What exactly was my plan, anyway? I only had the vaguest notion.

                 The car continued quietly down the road, driving deeper and deeper into the dull lights of the city. Things looked so familiar, but they didn’t feel the same. Like deja vu instead of the neighbourhood I had lived in for months. What had changed? I don’t know. The car slowed to a stop and Caleb and Miss Oris both turned their gaze towards me. I untangled myself from the blanket and opened the door to the car. Caleb moved to open his door as well.

                  "No. Stay here. I’ll be back in a few minutes. Fifteen minutes tops," I said quietly, waving him down with my hand. With that, I ducked out of the car. It was exactly what he had said it would be like. The moment I stood up and closed the door, I felt the sudden boom of pressure in my ears. I felt the prickle of the hair on the back of my neck. I suddenly wanted to crawl back into the car and cry, but I wouldn’t.

                  I started walking, stubbournly trying to ignore the prodding against my head. I rounded the corner to see the small house behind a neat green lawn. Home. I stopped at the edge of the sidewalk, however. Could I really go through with this? I was leaving my home to protect my kidnappers. But then again, how much of a home had it been? Mr and Mrs David were nice, sure, but they were never home and it was awkward when they were. Still, my stomach twisted vilely and I fought the urge to throw up.

                  I stepped forward, walking slowly across the yard. Watching, there was a flutter of shadows behind the curtains and Autumn David’s face appeared in the window. Her face lit up as her eyes fixed on me. As I approached the door, I rearranged my expression to one of anger. This was going to be difficult. Her face disappeared from the window and suddenly the door opened and I was pulled into a tight embrace.

                  "Adena! Oh, we’ve been so worried! Where have you been?" Autumn gasped, holding me by the shoulders to inspect me. Surely, my hair was greasy and messy by now, clothes all twisted up and I probably smelled a little.

                   I brushed off her hands and shoved past the thirty-eight year old woman. I was met with her husband, Richard David. He was a very tall man, but I was no longer intimidated by that, like I had when I first arrived.

                   "Adena, what happened? Are you okay?" he asked, touching my arm lightly, frowning.

                   Bracing myself, I screwed up my face angrily and smacked away his hand. Both of them stared openly, looking shocked.

                   "I was staying at a friends house. Partied too much, but you know what I realized? I don’t need this place, the money, I don’t need you either! I don't want to pretend to be any different from my mother!" I yelled. My eyes burned as I spoke; I didn’t want to say it, but I had to make it clear that I would not come back.

                  Autumn and Richard stared, still. I was a good kid- always had been. I was never disrespectful or rude. Sure, I partied a little, did some stuff I shouldn’t.

                 "What do you mean?" she whispered, clasping her hands together in front of her breasts.

                 "I mean, I’m leaving! Don’t look for me. Ever!" I snarled, shoving past them and bolting up the stairs. I could hear them call after me. They really were good people and I did like them, even if they tried too hard, but whatever I was getting into, I couldn’t involve them. What was I getting involved in? When did I decide I was getting involved? I had no idea, but there were too many questions for me to not be involved now. I slammed open the door too my room and swiped my bag off the floor. I dumped the contents on the bed. It was a decent sized bag, with a tie string to close it. I dropped to my hands and knees, searching underneath the bed for the pillowcase I kept. My fingers skimmed across the ground, my panic growing. Where was it!? After several long moments, my fingers grazed the familiar fabric and I pulled it out gently.

                   I’d had the bag for years, collecting bits of importance. There wasn’t a lot in that pillowcase, but I removed it all anyway, pulling clothing out of my drawers. First I wrapped a small, square photo album in a black T-shirt, then a porcelain wind-up music box in a fluffy pair of pajama pants. The figurine depicted two dancing figures, a small child standing on a man’s toes. Next, a book encased in another shirt. I shoved a roll of cash into a pair of socks. After that, I grabbed a few other books, photos and news clippings off my cork board. A few more articles of clothes and anything of importance, like underwear, identification, and a select few pieces of jewelry. I drew the bag shut, slinging it over my shoulder. I looked quickly around the room. I would miss this, I knew. But I had to do it.

                   Before I left the room, I dug my giraffe out of the covers. Now, I silently hoped that wherever I went from here was nicer than the bruised-floor room I had been in. I stomped back downstairs.

                   Richard stood as I hit the floor. "Please, Adena, can’t we talk about this? This is so unlike you. Is it because we aren’t home enough? We can try and fix that, please, can’t we just talk about it? I me-"

                   "Stop! Just leave me alone!" I yelled. Hearing the pleading in his voice was painful, as was Autumn stricken face, face and red-eyed. I knew she wasn’t speaking because she didn’t want to cry. I stalked over to the door, jerking it open. I slammed it behind me, without saying another word.

                   The front yard disappeared behind me quickly as I ran back to the car, choking on tears. No. I would not cry. It was to protect them and us. I would not cry in front of Caleb and Miss Oris. I would not.

                   The car was just where I left it from. The door opened for me as I approached and I jumped in and closed it.

                   "Go," I said quickly, quietly. I could feel Caleb watching me closely, taking in the objects I had grabbed, including my thin black coat. What I didn’t expect was his expression. Looking out the window, the reflection stood out against the dully lit background. His face was almost ... concerned. I could see the tears standing in my eyes as well. It was the closest to home I had had in years and I left that for a bunch of strangers who were promptly tearing apart what little I knew for certain. Stupid! Angrily, I blinked them back, hunching my shoulders forward.

                    Caleb frowned and started as though he was going to try and comfort me, but stopped short, seeing my glare in the window. Why wouldn’t I let him try? Because this was his fault. And I would stubbournly tell myself that for a long time to come.

                    Miss Oris said nothing, but pulled away from the curb in silence. Caleb laid back moodily into his seat, watching me silently, eyes narrowed.

                     I brushed my hand across my eyes, pretending to be tucking hair behind my ear. I wouldn’t let him or Miss Oris see me cry. I’m not a damsel in distress; I’m the dragon and the cavalry, the bridge, the castle, the lava. Not the damsel. Why did I care what they thought about me? Because they had me at their mercy? No. I wasn’t at their mercy anymore. I was part of this, whatever it was. They needed me, not the other way around.

                      "What did you do?" The question startled me. It was Caleb. His tone wasn’t cold or accusing. Just.. Curious.

                      "I told them I was running away and not to look for me." My voice trembled and I wanted to smack my forehead against the car window. I sounded like I was crying. I looked over at him.

                      He was watching me. I couldn’t read his expression. "They weren’t your biological parents, were they?"

                      I stared, lips parting slightly. How the hell did he know this stuff? It’s not as though I’d gone to school with him (my screwed life story seemed like a pretty hot topic when I got there), or even ever seen him before.

                      "I can see it on your face," he explained, with the tiniest upturn at the corner of his lips. Like the shadow of a smile.

                     "Oh," I responded lamely, looking back out the window. After a few minutes though, I realized something. "This isn’t the car I was in last time."

                     Caleb frowned at me. "We waited at the corner for you, still the same car-"

                      "No, no. I mean the first time. When I was tied up. With you and Josiah." I pointed my finger in his face.

                      "Don’t look at me so accusingly. As though you would have come along willingly," he snorted, crossing his arms and lounging back into the seat.

                       "Oh, and you couldn’t have come by the school, posed as a social worker or someone who needed to talk to me about my mom’s probation hearin-" I stopped short, realizing too late I’d said too much. Something about Caleb look sharpened, like all the lines of his handsome face came into focus. "You couldn’t have thought of anything more inconspicuous," I corrected, voice trailing off. I felt my cheeks burn.

                       "That’s why you’re with a foster family." It wasn’t a question, but it wasn’t unkind. It still felt like a slap in the face though. It was as though he wasn’t implying or accusing, but knew like death that he was better than me. It made my eyes burn more. Damn overactive tear ducts. I was not a person to show my emotions on my sleeve, but tears defied my will not to cry, just like now.

                       I pressed my palm onto my right eye, looking away stubbournly. The rest of the car ride was quiet, Miss Oris keeping a careful eye on the dark road and Caleb just sat still and quiet in his corner of the car. When we pulled up off the road, onto a gravel trail, I perked up slightly, narrowing my wet eyes slightly. I wanted to know where we were staying. A small house came into view and the outside looked like most of the inside. The roof sagged, the porch sagged, the windows looked lucky to be still sitting in their frames, covered in filth. There was nothing magnificent, or even conspicuous about it. It just looked like an abandoned shack off from the highway.

                       The car stopped and I jumped out immediately, stumbling over the uneven road and slamming the door shut. Caleb got out of the car gracefully, closing his car door nigh silently. His grace pissed me off. I headed towards the stupid shack, not even glancing behind me. Josiah appeared at the door, looking worried; his brow puckered, his eyes wide.

                       "Where were you guys?" he cried as we approached, throwing his hands into the air.

                       "We went to get Adena’s things," Miss Oris said and I jumped; I didn’t realize how close to me she was, just behind my shoulder.

                      "Did you guys even think to check the activity levels?" Josiah’s voice climbed an octave.

                      "I checked before we left; they were fine," Caleb said, brushing past me. "Even if they aren’t now." He disappeared inside the house.

                      I glanced between the stern blonde woman and the dark haired boy. "How does he know these things?" I asked.

                      Miss Oris gave me a calculating look. "Know what things?" She spoke as though she knew, but wanted to know how much I knew.

                      "D-demon activity levels, or whatever they are. Like just now, he knew it wasn’t ‘fine’ like when we left and earlier, he came into your office and said something about them acting up before you two attacked me," I snapped. I wished everyone would stop acting like they were so much smarter than me. I may not be a most academically intelligent but I was quick and observant.

                      The other two glanced at each other. Some strange expression flashed across Miss Oris’s face. "Ask him yourself, Adena. Now, come inside please," she said stiffly. Josiah opened his mouth as though he was about to speak, but Miss Oris grabbed his arm and dragged him to the door. I followed hesitantly. Every moment with these people was so much more confusing. And as far as I could tell, no one was human. Caleb, of course, had given no indication that he wasn’t human, but he just felt too ... too something I couldn’t explain, to be human. My stomach lurched. I guess that meant I wasn’t human. And that I didn’t have a mental disorder. But something else it meant - I have a soul.

 



© 2009 Adessa


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on July 5, 2009
Last Updated on August 8, 2009


Author

Adessa
Adessa

Kamloops, Canada



About
Well! New biography! Joy. I'm eighteen, Canadian, a university student, and an older sister. I've moved four times in three years and I love fitness, art, music, knowledge and traveling. And that'.. more..

Writing
Stalking the Matt Stalking the Matt

A Chapter by Adessa


Mixed Blood Mixed Blood

A Book by Adessa