Breathe it in, inhale, you're inspired

Breathe it in, inhale, you're inspired

A Story by Janesy
"

8.4.2009

"

"No, don't."
"Last one." He affirmed.

I watched as he gently parted his lips into a perfect small 'o'. Frown slowly turning into a wrinkled smile.

Last one.

As I watched the smoke trickle from the corner of his lips, I thought to myself the countless of times when he had promised and sworn to his "last one." Ha. That boy. The only boy that never fails to fail me. That bloody boy, that bloody liar.

Nonetheless, I still took his word for it. Each and every single time, each and every single damn assurance. Foolishness or plain generosity? Rhetorical question - is it not?
My gullibility to his affirmity, attraction. A bad habit. One that I am unwilling and afraid to quit. Like chewing on my nails. Bad habit. I reckon it is the fear of losing that holds the forces of gullibility and affirmity so strongly together. But whatever, we all know that most, if not all things are better left unsaid.

"Do you want one?" He asked, savoring his smoke.

I bit my lip.

That's what we all say. Don't we? Last one. "This is the last and final straw - this is my last and final smoke." Last.

My lasts? I've lost count. Let alone, his, that boy's. Mom used to tell me not to count my chickens before they are hatched. Applying that magnificent theory, I say let's not promise our "last" until it's met.

Faintly smiling, I reached out.
Fingers shaking, sweat trickling, I lit up.

"Last one" I affirmed.

That girl. The only girl that never fails to fail me. That bloody girl, that bloody liar. Me.

© 2009 Janesy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I simply love this. The simplicity in the writing is marvelous and rare. The idea of a million last times is just wonderful, it adds to the imagery and tension of the scene. I can imagine where this takes place, the age. It's got this perfect mood that's edgy and uncomfortable and very well written. I love it. Well done. My only big thing is that your choice of title is very disinteresting and doesn't do the story justice. Reconsider the title, find something simpler.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 28, 2009

Author

Janesy
Janesy

Singapore



About
The more you know, the more you'll judge. more..

Writing
Clouds Clouds

A Poem by Janesy