Means to an End

Means to an End

A Story by Jill Terry

With old patterns faltering in the wake of time, serving him less and less; desperation creeps, then slowly sets in.

 

Searching for something real to cling to; in a world of illusion and cheap parlor tricks; of which he created and has always dwelled.

 

Better to be an imaginary somebody, than a real no body; his platform, his soapbox, his mission, his salvation.

 

Spewing his gospel as weightless as smoke rings, growing bored with his half dozen converts; unable to stroke his monstrous ego; he sees only one place left to go.

 

One soul he touched. Upon a time was touched by. He refuses to release and let go. Disguised as forgiveness, he sets about his mission; back to the only arms left, that wait wide open.

 

Naïve and weak, yet privy to his ways; a masochist for certain, to take him back in. She is not the reason, but merely a convenience. Providing him shelter, buying him time; bringing him closer to where he believes salvation resides.

 

The beautiful butterfly, with delicate wings; once so fragile, easily ravaged; consumes his thoughts, still rules his darkness; and so true to predator form, of which he will always be, he sets about stalking, making connections; broadcasting his relation, as if guaranteeing him a position. Wasting time, sniffing and searching; for the butterfly has morphed, long ago taken flight.

 

And so time ticks on, for this wasted life; over educated and under achieved. When he could have soared to the greatest of heights; been a true inspiration, perhaps a revered master. But the only expertise, he can lay claim in the end; is leaving a trail of pain, in the wake of his disaster.

© 2009 Jill Terry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
Added on August 30, 2009

Author

Jill Terry
Jill Terry

FL



About
Jill describes herself as a word weaver, storyteller, truth-seeker; who finds solace in putting her thoughts to words and sharing with all those who would listen. Writing professionally since 2000,.. more..

Writing