Three hanged men

Three hanged men

A Story by jawan
"

short story that focuses mainly on character,dialouge and the setting plays a big part in how the characters react in the story.

"

Three Hanged Men

 

Beneath the red sun of the west, lay a vast forest, deep in the belly of this forest were three men who were persecuted for various reasons. They were put atop trees by the law of the land with nooses tightly wrapped around their necks, death was there only option for escape.

“Good morning sunshine.” Said the man sitting at the farthest and last tree. He lifted his hat looking at the morning sun taking its post in the sky. He laid his head back on the tree and smiled. The other two men rustled in their resting places, like baby birds atop the tree. Following in the fashion of the third man they tilted their black cowboy hats and rubbed their dry eyes.

“Good morning boys.” The third man said smiling at the two others. “What’s so good about it?” said the second man, with his tree nestled in the middle.

“I agree.” The man on the farther right said looking out at the vast land of trees.

The forest was filled with the sounds of creatures that crept in the daylight, birds and mosquitos were about their daily routines while Vultures eyed and sung their sorrowful songs above the three men, waiting for one or all to plummet to their deaths so they could feast. The three men had been atop the trees for two days now, and not one knew the others name, but when you’re nestled atop of a tree dependent on your “willpower” to live, names aren’t important. They addressed each other by the order in which they were seated atop the trees from right to left.

“Hey, Mr. Three?” the second man sitting in the tree said, looking beady eyed to his left.

“Yes, Mr. Two.”

“We’ve been here two days, sitting on these goddam trees, waiting to give up and jump or wait for the vultures to get their asses down here and feast on our heads, and I still can’t figure out why you’re so optimistic!”

Like a turtle, the first man stuck his head out to see the third man’s expression and answer. “Well, as I see it, I ended up right where I belonged, so might as well give the devil his due with open arms and a big f*****g smile on my mug! He opened his arms out and smiled as if he were imagining himself embracing the devil.

“Well, if you put it like that, why haven’t you jumped yet?

“I won’t let him have me so easy, Mr. Two.”

You’re just like the rest of us then, waiting on deaths call to finally irritate the hell out of us enough until we answer.” Mr. Two said, looking out at the distant land in front of him.

It was quiet for a while, before anyone spoke again. The vultures had circled closer to the trees mocking the three men.

“Those damn buzzards are getting closer.” Said Mr. One, looking up at the black winged demons.

“Their confidence is building, the longer we stay alive, the closer and happier they get”. Mr. Three said, smiling with optimism.

“Don’t you ever wonder if all that squawking they make is just them betting on which one of us would fall first?” said Mr. One squinting at the bright sky. “Maybe , maybe not Mr. One, all I know is they’ve got all the time in the world, while we sit here arguing about death!” Mr. Three said lifting his rugged hat.

“What are you even here for, Mr. Three or should I say Mr. Optimistic? Mr. two said, with a disgusting, mocking tone in his voice.

“I agree what kind of business you got into, to end up here?” the wind picked up in the dusty, red valley. The hot sun, still sat at its post staring down at the three men as the day moved along, in languid motion. Mr. Three’s gentle, warm smile turned into a sinister grin.

“Well, I’m not sure you’re ready for such a tale fella’s.” he said, laying his hands behind his head, resting against the tree, with an expression of calmness on his mug. A small curiosity, grew in the other two men, they wanted to know what hid behind the smile and calm expression.

“Oh, go ahead and tell us, why dontcha, we’ve probrobly heard or done worse!” Said Mr. Two.

“Oh, I don’t want to give you nightmares! Ha-ha. He said in a sardonic tone. Mr. Two was getting impatient, and with impatience his anger grew. “You know, a smart mouth like that would get a bullet in your a*s where I came from Mr.!”

“Looks like ill be missing out on that opportunity than, Mr. Two, because I’ll gladly rather be shot than to sit here and entertain you two!!” The tranquil shield, surrounding the man was gone now their questioning had triggered a deep sense of uneasiness in the man. He hated when people snooped around in business that wasn’t theirs.

Silence filled the dry air again, the two men decided not to press matters any further for fear of what would happen next. A silent agreement between the two was made to settle their curiosity and pry slowly at the mysterious Mr. Three.

The day was dying down slowly now, the vultures settled their dispute with who would fall to their death first, seeing with they’re beady eyes that the men had triumphed over them for the day. They retired to the dry, naked areas of the west looking for replacement meals, to appease their appetite.

 



© 2014 jawan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting piece, mate! Enjoyed it!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I enjoyed this tale. I had to read twice. I like how you sit-up the story. I like the use of three men. The vultures gave a terrible vision of men waiting for death by decision of nature. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 23, 2014
Last Updated on February 23, 2014

Author

jawan
jawan

Douglas, GA



About
i am 19 years old and im interested in many things such as writing of course, anime,reading,walking, music, drawing etc. my dream is to direct and write my own film someday aswell as become a publishe.. more..

Writing
Gone Gone

A Story by jawan


Beautiful Beautiful

A Poem by jawan