Machinist

Machinist

A Story by JM Watson
"

Today I watched Machinist, starting Christian Bale, and Directed by Brad Anderson.

"
Machinist is about a middle aged man by the name of Trevor Reznick, whom is a average joe working at a factory in Texas. The movie begins with the sights of Trevor appearing in the look of a classic junkie. Rough looking hair, hollowed eyes, bruised up face with drieing blood in splotches over his body, and a classic case of being skinny enough you think his bones are going to break at any given second, or as many of the supporting cast in the movie states "If there was any less of ya, they'd be none of ya." He is shown throwing a rug that appears to have a body in it down into the ocean or river and being followed closely behind by a faint light in the distance. We are however cut off from the carrier of the light and into the not so distant past of seeing him work in the labor authority of a a*s hole. We see him proceed to work, followed by talking smack to his co workers, killing time eating at a diner and flirting with a waitress, and sleeping with a hooker, both of which he leaves good money to for their services, we basically get a glimpse of what the life of Trevor is like.
 Now comes the thicken of the plot. We see Trevor planting sticky notes around his home reminding him of doing things, but their appears to be one that is not written by him with the letters "er" at the end of 6 letter word, with the the beginning parts of the game hang man being drawn out. This upsets him enough to tossing it in the trash, and soon forgetting it. The story then progresses back to his work days, and other every day routines, but focusing a bit more on their for plot. He is called in to his bosses office for a UA because he is looking tired, as it appears he is a chronic insomniac, but his work thinks he is a junkie. While waiting for the results of his urine he meets a bald headed man with a big toe, and pin key toe for his hand. He claims to be the new guy working at the factory, and soon all hell starts to crash. We soon see our protagonist back at work trying to help a fellow mate fix his machine when Trevor is distracted by the new guy and pushes the button to operate the machine he is trying to help fix. Short and sweet the man loses his arm, and when Trevor tries to blame the distraction on the new guy, they laugh at him and say no such man works there. Soon it all goes down hill even more, as his fellow employees want him gone. So he goes to the dinner where he goes regular and his waitress offers to bring him along her son's and hers mothers day theme park adventure, where everything seems to be deja vue to Trevor, and things go great for him and the gal till her son has a seizure, nothing to crazy but the creep effect rises for the audience and Trevor.
 Soon he is back to work, and he himself is almost in the cause of the accident that took his friends hand off. Thinking it had to do with Revenge Trevor loses it, and starts blaming the staff around him, with the end result the loss of his job. He then seeks comfort in the Prostitute he goes to regularly, whom he thinks is the ex of the guy who is causes his life to fall apart, thus she kicks him out of her life. We then see him go on a cat and mouse chase after this guy leading to him getting him hit by a car, only to file the police report saying it was the guy he was trying to find. Yet in the attempt to find this car, the police come back to him telling him that the car he gave them, is his own car from a year ago. He then proceeds to run from the police in hopes of questioning him. When it comes to all said and done, and a few confused confrontations  one finding to be that the waitress was never real that he confined in, and the others with the guy whom Trevor is chasing, it turns out to be all false and rather the struggle with his own demonic past. The very thing keeping him from sleeping was himself, thus allowing him to have to make a decisions. AND he chooses he understands the Hangman to be the word "KILLER" and like the silly game he chooses to confront his past head on. So he returns to the station to turn himself in. The movie ends with him telling the police as they throw him in the temp cell that all he wants to do is sleep. And we are left as the audience seeing him for the first time doing just that.  
This movie was a roller coaster ride of a thriller, that until the last 20 minutes I had no way of piecing it together. It had stunning visuals with the camera work of his apartment, the use of the factory in how the hands when lodged in the machinery looked incredibly realistic. The insane trip of the development of Christian Bale and all his supporters was a mind blow. I give this movie a 8.2/10, while IMDB has it at 7.8/10, I am positive that I could find something to replace the top 250 with this. If you like fun thrill rides, then I say watch this. Therese a minor point in the movie where Christian Bale weighs himself and records it as 120 something. That is amazing, taking this is the same man that plays Batman. This is of course also the same guy that won his Oscar (and rightfully) for his role in a personal fav of mine The Fighter. So whether you are bored, or a huge fan of the Dark Knight's actor I highly recommend this mind blowing drama. 

© 2013 JM Watson


Author's Note

JM Watson
THIS IS A SPOILER TO THE MAX

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2013

Author

JM Watson
JM Watson

Denver, CO



About
I am a student of life and soon to be of the University of Colorado: Denver. I have the majors chosen of Film Studies, and Pro Writing. I love to write screenplays, and fiction. I have wild dreams, an.. more..

Writing