Re-Animator

Re-Animator

A Story by JM Watson
"

HP Love Crafts story comes to the modern day 80's with Stars Jeffery Combs and Bruce Abbott leading the cast, and Director Stuart Gordan making his big screen debut

"
So Jeffery Combs plays new to the states Doctor in Training Herbert West, and Bruce Abbott plays 3rd year resident and future big shot doctor Dan Cain. We are started with the movie with the police intruding on the appearance of great standard no CGI FX of Herbert West giving life to the dead, only to give them a more dramatic death in the failure of his experiment. We are then led into a montage of credits, that only the 80's could delivered. After said and done we see Abbott's character having passionate sex with his girlfriend  Megan Hasley, played by  Barbara Campton. Just like good old 80's horror we see plenty of her in the film. The movie progresses to West moving in with Dan Cain, and ultimately giving his lady the creeps. They go through the tangle of the couples cat being found dead, and Megan telling Dan that she is sure Herbert West killed him. Though never proven we do see him bring the cat back to life, and then when back attempts to kill Dr. West, where Dan saves him, and sees the invention of Re-Animation that West has done. Looking to take it to the next level in trying to revive humans, Dan goes to Hasley's dad/Head Doctor of the hospital Dr. Dead Hasley only to be shot down, and suspended in telling him that what he is trying to do is wrong, and that West is expelled.
Not listening of course Dan sneaks West into the morgue to try and test the drug, they succeed in bringing back to life a modern day destructive Frankenstein, that when confronted by Dr. Hasley, kills the doctor. They then see that they must kill this creature and do, and then takes motive in bringing the Doctor back, only to create this time a more scared version of the first. Driven by fear the big man on campus doctor Hill takes captive of the new re-animated Dr. Hasley only to have the motive to later steal West's idea from him, and steal Dan's girlfriend from him. So he does, but not before being killed, and then Re-Animated by West himself by Decapitated him with a shovel. So now the Re-Animated Headless conducts the business of any Doctor that is a smart Zombie. He steals the formula in hopes of making a army of them, and making himself the leader. He even kidnaps Megan, and has her stripped naked and has a little dirty time with her, before West and Dan come in to stop her. Dan kills the Doctor, but not before one of the Doctors new acquired solders kills Megan. We are then left with my favorite of horror endings, the suspense of Dan injecting Megan with the juice, whispering his lover for her, and starting the credits with a dramatic scream only found in the best of horror.
Known as a classic to anyone loving the hokey, over done horror as I do, I give this film a 7.5/10 to IMDB's 7.2/10 with ease for movie rating, and a splendid 9/10 for horror rating. Those who know the difference in what I mean by these ratings are great individuals in my eyes. I found the drama to be great, the humor to be even better, and the classic FX to be splendid, i look forward to following up with more classics such as these in the future, no doubt this is one in my books. 

© 2013 JM Watson


Author's Note

JM Watson
Big Spoilers of Film

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2013

Author

JM Watson
JM Watson

Denver, CO



About
I am a student of life and soon to be of the University of Colorado: Denver. I have the majors chosen of Film Studies, and Pro Writing. I love to write screenplays, and fiction. I have wild dreams, an.. more..

Writing
Machinist Machinist

A Story by JM Watson