Yano

Yano

A Story by jessiemei
"

Based on the anime Bokura Ga Ita.

"

 

How did it end up like this?

Nana can be so dumb sometimes. And her stupid sister Yuri doesn’t help. She can’t even deliver a simple message; idiot. Argh. This is stupid. I want to just call her, but I’m too mad. And today is her birthday. I’ll just calm down with Keuchi for a bit, maybe. Yeah, then I’ll call her later.

 

I walk down the street in downtown a half hour later and it’s so hot. What a beautiful day for Nana’s birthday. Beautiful just like her. A flash of irritation flares inside me. Dammnit, I feel like punching something. Why does she have to be so careless? Always going off with other men. She really is stupid. And hopeless. sigh. It’s ok, there’s Keuchi.

 

What’s wrong?

Nothing.

You sure?...You know she means nothing by it, Yano. She cares about you.

Whatever, let’s go in and eat already.

 

Keuchi tells me about a girl he met but he can’t seem to like her genuinely. I wish he could. I wish he could be happy. He’s like my brother. Always there for me, helping me in my tough spots. I wish I was a better friend for him. Yano?

 

Yes?

What should I do?

I think you should leave it alone.

What do you mean?

If you’re not going to like her genuinely, don’t bother. You know that.

I know. But it’s so frustrating. Why can’t I find someone like you have?

I don’t know. I don’t know anything really.

You’re lucky Yano. Which is why you should suck up your pride already and apologize. Look it’s almost 4. Call her, make-up and go out for her birthday. She deserves it. You can’t keep going on like this. You never know when someone may take her from you while you’re not around.

 

He looks at me, measuring my reaction. He’s right. It hurts too much sometimes, but he’s right. I nod. We finish our lunch together and as we wait for the bill, I stare out the window. I wonder what she’s doing right now. I get up and look at him. Something passes between us and he says

 

Don’t worry I’ve got it.

Thanks.

 

I walk out of the restaurant and to the corner. I dial her number on my cell phone. I want to wish her Happy Birthday. I want to take her out. I want to tell her I love her. I want to scold her for being stupid. I want to kiss her. The line rings. Once. Twice. Three times. Four times.

 

Hi! You’ve reached Nana-cha—click.

Answer your phone damnit.

 

I squeeze the phone in my hand. I make a decision to go to the mall. She might be there. I wait ten minutes and the bus arrives. Something strikes me. A piercing feeling. Uneasy. Something doesn’t seem right. But she’s probably just too busy shopping to hear her phone. Sigh. I shake my head and smile. While on the bus I call that restaurant we were supposed to go to a few days ago.

 

Hi, may I make a reservation? For two. Around 7pm. Yes, thank you.

 

I get to the mall and walk around, searching. I looked in all her favourite stores, the food court, and even wait in front of a few washrooms. I decide to go to her house. Twenty minutes later I stand outside her front gate. I ring the door. Once. Twice. Three times. Four times. No answer. Maybe the family is out for dinner. I sit out on the street for a bit when my phone rings. It’s Keuchi.

 

Are you with Nana-san?

Umm, no. I’ve been looking for her. Have you seen her?

No I haven’t, but I want you to keep looking, do you hear me? I think—beep

Other line, hang on. Yuri?

 

There’s heavy breathing on the other line.

 

Hello?

Y-Yano? Y-Y-Yano I..please

(What’s wrong with this girl?)

Calm down, Yuri.

H-Hello? Yano-kun, this is Nana-san’s mother. I think you should come to the hospital. It’s Nana-san. She got into an accident—click.

 

I immediately get up and run. I don’t know where I’m running. To the bus stop; to the hospital. I run until I see a bus and get on it. I didn’t look, but luckily it heads in the direction of the hospital. Keuchi calls again. I don’t answer. Again. I turn off my phone. I arrive at the hospital and run to the emergency room. All voices are blurred. My ears seem tight and my head is booming. My eyes feel hot. Someone runs and grabs my waist from behind. I turn.

 

Nana—

 

It’s not Nana. Yuri. She cries into my back. I push her away. Her mother approaches me, tearful. No, this can’t be.

 

Yano-kun, please sit down.

No.

I’m sorry Yano! She’s crying quite hard.

Nana-san is dead!

No.

She got into a car accident this afternoon. She was with Kagawa and—

No!

 

I’ve heard enough. I’ve heard enough. I’ve heard ENOUGH! I run. Out of the emergency room. Out of the hospital. Away from the pain. Away from her. I’m running down the sidewalk and I pass Keuchi.

 

Yano!

 

I don’t stop. I run so far that I reach the riverbed which is about 9 blocks away from the hospital. My lungs hurt. My heart hurts. Tears rip through my eyes. I scream. I refuse to let them take over. They keep spilling but I can’t control them. I fall to the floor. On my knees. Everything is spinning. Everything is falling. I can’t believe it. This isn’t my life. I feel like I’m not living right now. Like it’s my imagination. I don’t remember the past hour. What happened? Nana-san. I saw Keuchi on the sidewalk in front of the hospital. Kagawa? No.

 

I stopped crying. Something occurs to me. I take out my phone and see it’s 7:00. I dial a number.

 

Hello? Yes, umm. Plans have changed. Please cancel the reservation.

 

How did it end up like this?

© 2009 jessiemei


Author's Note

jessiemei
The style was written based on the dialogue within the anime.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on September 11, 2009

Author

jessiemei
jessiemei

Brampton, Canada



About
Well, it all started when I was born and my mother said...--haha just kidding. I started writing (and actually loving it) in grade 9. I don't quite remember, but I THINK I just randomly got inspir.. more..

Writing
To Us To Us

A Poem by jessiemei