A MAP,  IN A BOTTLE

A MAP, IN A BOTTLE

A Chapter by J Cansino
"

opening chapter

"

It has been a long time. Someone became bored of peace, he started to grow his mustache found a cross, he added lines sideways in it, he put it in banners and arm bands- started war.

Another man or should I say men saw how noble his cause was, they joined party. 1939, when the war broke up in Europe. Of course Asia, priding itself as the biggest continent of the world, would not accept the fact that there’s a war in Europe, while its countries are living in peace, as its citizens sleeps in their homes soundly and peacefully- airplane engines revved.

December 7, 1941. To the horror of the Filipinos, a bomb was dropped in Pearl Harbor. Before Christmas is celebrated that year, McArthur let out the greatest curse for the Japs ‘I shall return’. But before this promise came into realization, thousands of Filipino’s and US soldiers died fighting, the Japs. Other’s died through murder and torture. How could the world forget, especially the Filipinos and the Americans the event occurred in Bataan. That long parade of captive soldiers. This parade is so special that, instead of confetti dead bodies are the ones falling. In some instance, is the fountain of pink mist out of the heads of those who, tries to escape.

Of course the war ended by a fat man and a little boy. As harmless as their name, it landed safely on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Shrieks of burning flesh followed. It cost billions of life and billions of democratic taxes as well.

Then came the dramatic Leyte landing of the hero general, Douglas McArthur. Of course it is not written in history books that if ever they fail to land to Leyte, Palawan is the next option to be considered. The mighty Japanese imperial army fled to Luzon then Palawan. Through Palawan, the General Yamashita plants to escape via Malaysia. He could have succeeded if not for the very friendly US navy who sank their ship somewhere between the border of Philippines and Malaysia.

Ben learned that story from a weird creature, commonly referred to as teacher. Teacher, the word itself is synonymous to boring, adding to that fact, he learned it from a History Teacher-which adds the weight of being weird. The best subject for someone who is fond of wars and people who created the greatest drama in the world. So much for that, Ben had just acquired a new property in Brooke’s Point, Palawan. This place, belongs to the province in the Philippines, that is believed to be the last piece of land, Yamashita stepped on-that was a long time ago. This house was once owned by a visiting missionary. It’s mainly made of wood, the flooring and the walls, it’s roofed in iron.

Ben is sitting in his rocking chair, in the balcony of his newly acquired property facing the calm sea of May, but his thoughts are as restless as the Atlantic Ocean. He feels like he is some kind of seaman who is crossing Somalia and being chased by some pirates. He is thinking of some important topics such as his cat is sick and the veterinarian is out of town.

His life is a mess. He knows that. He had just moved in last month. Good thing he has his friends, to help him carry all his belongings. The loyal ones who never gave up in failing with him, in their treasure hunting ventures. That was a long time ago, those were the times when they were all infatuated by the taste of beer. Out of the wisdom given by the spirit of alcohol, a plan came out. They will hunt the Yamashita treasures.

They started climbing mountains, saw beautiful falls and tall trees. Climbing mountains is easy, but being chased by rebels is another thing. Aside from the rebels, they are fond of being chased by raging waters of the rivers while it flood, due to a heavy rainfall. Ben remembers the sound made by rocks banging against each other. The brown water that made him thought that any moment he could be seeing the Lord, his creator.

Those treasure hunting adventure were successful, to the point that their expenses is higher that their earning. They sold their equipment and started a new life. He decided to get a job, unfortunately he was now up into the profession that he despised most- Teaching.

He remembered his youth because of his students. But those memories are not as happy as them. Being an adolescent is quite fun for those who have a mind that can conform to the standard of the society. He is just different and he is happy about that. His love on history books took him away from the reality that made him the weirdest kid in the school. Only the History and economics teacher, would find enthusiasm talking with him.

He’s still young. Now on his early thirties. He is reflecting on everything that happened in his life. But he preferred to think of another topic as soon as he remembered the greatest mistake he has ever made in his life. This mistake made him wake up with a woman in his bed, each day for the rest of his life. Not quite a mistake for now. She had gone off with another man. At last he could live happily after again. Whether he likes it or not. Having a wife is enough to inflict a great amount of pain in the a*s. Marriage is such a curse that, it requires someone to have a Mother-in-law. Good thing she’s out for good.

He got up. He is planning to plunge himself into the sea in front of him, hoping that it would drown him to death or some mermaid would take him into their sunken kingdom. He is walking the green grass of his yard when he spotted a bottle. There is something inside him urging to pick it up.

 

Its 5:00 in the afternoon, Noel is in the living room but he feels like he is in his death bed. Life has been harsher for him these days. He just encountered a monster. That monster is easily mistaken to be a human. This creature exactly looks like a human so as its smell. In the way it talks, there is a minimal level of difference.  It could only be distinguished by the way it gives deadlines. I’m referring to a boss. His phone rang. He turned it of thinking that it could be his boss or his wife. Both, it is leading to an unfathomable disaster. He turned off his television. His prepaid balance ran out just before the match between Bry. Ginebra and Purefoods ended. It happened 2 seconds before the game came into a conclusion. Worse, his bet team is only leading 2 points and the opponent point guard fires a three just before the game clock runs out. After uttering a series of curses, he got up and decided to turn his phone on. He discovered that it’s a friend. By the time he is dialing his friend’s number, a knock was heard.

 

 

Joseph came home. 

Like his father, this boy is born with a severe brain damage. The difference is, his symptoms came out earlier.

Making History as his favorite subject, he successfully created a group of nerds who call themselves the Palaboys.  Their antisocial worldview gives them a sense of self-worth. Although their love for their own country is pure. ‘Palaboys’ came from two words. ‘Pala’- shortened version of the name of their province which is Palawan. The other word is ‘boy’ basically it’s exactly the same to its English meaning. Combining the two words, it would mean, boys of Palawan. Although it could also be transliterated for the Filipino word ‘Palaboy’ which means some walking with no specific direction.

He could not believe what he is hearing from his father. He hide himself and listened to what his father is telling to someone in his phone. He just heard that his father had found a Yamashita map earlier this afternoon.

At first, the teenage boy could not understand what his father is saying. The next moment he remembers something from his favorite subject. He immediately goggled for it to be sure.  He took out his phone and dialed for his club members.



© 2015 J Cansino


Author's Note

J Cansino
what do you think of it? its my first draft. I wouldn't mind if you get too harsh for me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, I didn't quite understand the plot or how the events link together. But it might as well be because of me being sleepy.

Posted 8 Years Ago


J Cansino

8 Years Ago

hahah sorry about that it was only the first chapter

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
1 Review
Added on November 8, 2015
Last Updated on November 8, 2015
Tags: yamashita, map, treasure, philippines, world war II, japan, palawan


Author

J Cansino
J Cansino

Brooke's Point, IVB mimaropa, Philippines



About
J Cansino was born on the 13th day of January 1993. It was through a natural delivery that this lunatic was given birth by his mother. If he was born with enough oxygen, the world could have been a be.. more..

Writing