Hope You Understand

Hope You Understand

A Poem by Joe
"

Reflecting on the feeling of being a parent trying to explain our troubled world.

"
Now it’s easy, you’re barely one
I’ll protect you, we’ll have nothing but fun, and...
I couldn’t tell you, you wouldn’t understand
 
It's a little less easy, now you can think
I’ll try to protect you, I'll watch your heart sink and…
I couldn’t tell you, you wouldn’t understand
 
Do I think it'll be easy, when you're fully grown?
I can't always protect you, sometimes you're alone, and...
I have to tell you, to help you understand!
 
The world's full of beauty, wonder and fun
But darkness hides, away from the sun, and… 
 
It won't be easy, but try not to be scared.
I'll do my best, help you be strong and prepared.
We won't turn away, stick our heads in the sand.
I had to tell you,
I hope you understand.

© 2017 Joe


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So beautiful and poignant. Well-written and rhymed. This poem tenderly expresses how difficult it is to explain life to our children- especially with what is happening now. Great use of echoing of lines to end with " I hope you understand" emphasizes the parents' struggle. Excellent poem.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joe

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your review Annette! This is the first thing I've ever written to the point .. read more



Reviews

Your tag caught my attention, as I too am a parent trying to understand and explain the world. I really connected to the idea of needing to explain difficult things but also trying to protect. I only hope I can live "parenting" with the delicacy that you have used in your poem. I really enjoyed reading your piece. Keep writing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


I like your refrain of "I hope you understand." I really relate to the subject of your poem since I have a child of my own. The progression of time is well done. I see how your conversation would change with your child as they grow and become more aware of the world around them.

I, too, worry about bringing my own child up in this troubled world and eventually explaining to him the hows and whys of people's actions. I don't have all or any answers, really, but I think kindness and respect are good places to start.

Thank you for sharing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


So beautiful and poignant. Well-written and rhymed. This poem tenderly expresses how difficult it is to explain life to our children- especially with what is happening now. Great use of echoing of lines to end with " I hope you understand" emphasizes the parents' struggle. Excellent poem.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joe

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your review Annette! This is the first thing I've ever written to the point .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
4 Reviews
Added on May 25, 2017
Last Updated on May 25, 2017
Tags: child, learning, parenting

Author

Joe
Joe

United Kingdom



Writing
Limpid Limpid

A Poem by Joe