"Why Do I Write?"

"Why Do I Write?"

A Story by Joshua David Dary
"

The reason(s).

"
     To entertain. I love to entertain, via music, storytelling, or even comedy.
     But writing is a much different form of entertainment. I've learned that through trial...
     You see, music, comedy, and storytelling are all great ways to make people smile, and forget about their worries. Writing can be the same thing. What separates writing from other hobbies, however, is that a paper can never change.
     Everytime you sing a song, it winds up a little bit different. You could sing a riff here, hold a note there; the way you sing changes.
     But writing....
     Once a story is published, it can never change. Sure, it's narration may change, but the substance, and the effect, remain the same.
     For instance, Thomas will always be a little blue tank engine. Dallas Winston will always be an aggressive young man who only cares for Johnny's well-being. Harry Potter will never be rid of that lightning-bolt scar, and his jet-black hair will never tidy. Nothing changes.

     Which brings me to my main point--Take the past, and put it on paper.
     Write from experience. Papers will never change, so why should you?
     What I'm saying is, when written as another, you could wind up the author of the next "Great American Novel". I won't deny that. But it's when you write as yourself, from your own experiences....That's when people really get to relate, and that's usually when the most "honest" literature finds its way out.
     In order to do that, however, you've gotta be one hell of an honest, open person. It's the deep stuff that (usually) keeps people hooked.
     Fortunately for me, I happen to be a very honest person. I can write about almost anything, almost anywhere, and no one would know where I wrote it.
     That's because most of the stuff I write is about some kind of crap I've been through. The thing is, I want people to learn from my mistakes. If I want that to happen, I've gotta be open, and honest, about said mistakes. That's where my whole philosophy on writing comes in:
     "Take the past, and put it on paper."

    
Another good thing--I have a LOT to talk about. I've been through a lot.
     Getting "played" by selfish b*****s I call my ex, being kicked out of school junior year (no lie. Hard for many to believe, once they know me...), and all the crap that happened in the aftermath of the worst day of my life. Not to mention, more personal shit I won't mention here for fear of starting drama with those involved, I (like every person my age) have been through plenty. I got the opportunity to grow up a lot sooner than most people, though, and it inspires my writing something fierce.

     One more thing, most of my stuff winds up longer than this. That's probably because this sounds like the introduction to an autobiography I may write one day, if I were to become some famous dude, somewhere, somehow. And that really doesn't interest me all that much.

     "Why do I write?" Heck, because I can. And you know what? I love it, too.

© 2013 Joshua David Dary


Author's Note

Joshua David Dary
Reviews/critiques are appreciated. However, this piece is kinda-sorta opinionated. Having said that, if your opinion differs from mine, douchebaggery will not be tolerated. Thanks ahead of time, for your time!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

To be honest I had no intention of reviewing this strange little piece, I tend to keep my reviews far and few between for the simple fact that I feel no need to review most people's work. Not to say they lack in excellence within themselves or even among society but I usually have nothing to add to reviews already posted. I have no need to be an echo. I do hope though that you do not think I only write here to talk of myself. I found it necessary to review your piece because it a rarity for someone to write about why they write in such bold truth. The way you describe why you write inspires thought, and as you said, when you write as yourself people find they can relate which I certainly found myself doing, which in itself is another rarity. I can say it it was not the most put together, articulate write...however that almost gave it more brilliance. Pure thought pouring out in a stream. Thank you for inspiring me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PossiblyAlice

10 Years Ago

I hardly think participation in a list constitutes friendship :P

Btw, you should check .. read more
Joshua David Dary

10 Years Ago

I agree with that. It's exactly why I don't add people I don't know on Facebook xD And I shall, tomo.. read more
PossiblyAlice

10 Years Ago

Good then we shall pursue friendship!



Reviews

I really admire how you mentioned that you have to be a really "honest and open person" in order to write decent stuff. It takes a lot for someone to be honest with themselves, but once they accept who they are, flaws and strengths, nothing can hurt them and they are able to achieve and overcome anything set in their path. And it's true that our pasts make us stronger and help us grow. People should use their past experiences to inspire them and help them grow, change in a positive way. I am a very honest and open person myself which is how I am able to not hold judgement against anyone and keep a wide-set imagination for my writing. I have accepted who I am and let the past guide me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


To be honest I had no intention of reviewing this strange little piece, I tend to keep my reviews far and few between for the simple fact that I feel no need to review most people's work. Not to say they lack in excellence within themselves or even among society but I usually have nothing to add to reviews already posted. I have no need to be an echo. I do hope though that you do not think I only write here to talk of myself. I found it necessary to review your piece because it a rarity for someone to write about why they write in such bold truth. The way you describe why you write inspires thought, and as you said, when you write as yourself people find they can relate which I certainly found myself doing, which in itself is another rarity. I can say it it was not the most put together, articulate write...however that almost gave it more brilliance. Pure thought pouring out in a stream. Thank you for inspiring me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PossiblyAlice

10 Years Ago

I hardly think participation in a list constitutes friendship :P

Btw, you should check .. read more
Joshua David Dary

10 Years Ago

I agree with that. It's exactly why I don't add people I don't know on Facebook xD And I shall, tomo.. read more
PossiblyAlice

10 Years Ago

Good then we shall pursue friendship!
Very real and honest, sounds like you know what you're doing keep it up

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
3 Reviews
Added on May 13, 2013
Last Updated on May 13, 2013
Tags: Why, Write