Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Wolfman
"

Enjoy

"

"And keep you in the rear of your affection, Out of the shot and danger of desire, The chariest maid is prodigal enough, If she unmasks her beauty to the moon." Daniel spoke softly into Rose’s ear recalling some of the lines from the play, Hamlet, which he had seen earlier that day. Rose smiled as Daniel recalled all the dramatic scenes he had witnessed that had all of London talking. He laid his hand behind her hair noticing how much her skin had flushed since she’d become ill some many weeks ago but his eyes stopped and lingered on hers, the only lively thing about her sunken in grey face. As always, her amber colored eyes turned almost red as she looked back at him taking him back to the day he had met this lovely young woman.

                It was only but a year or so ago but in Daniel’s mind he felt as if he had already spent his entire life with her. Daniel was not a wealthy man but neither was his father, he did just enough to provide for his family working as a shoe shiner along the main road that runs through London and today Daniel kneels on that very spot and does what his father once did so many years ago. “How art thou Mr. Grey”, came a voice from behind Daniel and as he spun to find where they voice had originated from he turned right into a very tall man with a head full of white and a beard to match.  “Good Morning Mr. Cardwell, very nice to see you again. When did you get back from your trip to Spain?” Mr. Cardwell is an old family friend of the families and a very rich and powerful man in London but a very kind soul considering all the troubles he has had over the years. Mr. Cardwell sat down in Daniel’s chair and smiled, “I just returned about a day or two ago my boy and if you want to hear about it then why don’t I offer a trade?” Daniel’s eyes opened a little wider as he spoke, “Depends on the trade sir”. “I’ll trade my stories for a free shine if thou art willing to accept”. Daniel smiled and said, “Well as seeing as I wasn’t going to ask anything for this I think this is a deal”.

                Daniel listened to Mr. Cardwell talk of his travels, the things he had seen, the people he had met along the way, and the business he had traveled there for. He never really went into the specifics of the business he was doing but Daniel understood that it was not his story to tell and not his position to snoop. Mr. Cardwell stood from the chair praising Daniel for his work, “Mr. Grey ye father should be mighty proud of the through all the hard work you’ve put in to help with your family.” Daniel smiled at his overly kind words, “Please Mr. Cardwell I still prefer the name Daniel, I still don’t fill as if I am living up to father’s expectations of me.” “Well next time I see him I’ll be sure to change that, the old man could use a shot or two to his ego eh?” Daniel looked at him as his head moved to the side slightly, he felt his face twist, and his palms become hot. “Father passed about 2 months ago Mr. Cardwell,” Daniel could feel his voice crack up an octave as he finished his sentence.  Mr. Cardwell took in a deep sigh and held it for what seemed like an eternity before he spoke, “Ye father was a great man, had a good heart and an unbreakable spirit, and I’m truly sadden by ye loss as should be all those who he had an impact on.” “Thank you sir, please don’t let this news upset the, it isn’t what father would have wanted for any of us. If the roles were reversed he’d be making jokes and making all those saddened smile at least once.”

They both stood there a moment in silence before Mr. Cardwell seized up his hat and said his farewells and best wishes. “How is ye brother taking the loss?” Daniel squinted just slightly as he looked up at the sky overhead, “Gabriel is still young and stubborn in his ways so he is handling it as best he can, it’ll just take time to heal those wounds.” As Mr. Cardwell was turning to leave he placed his hand on Daniel’s shoulder and said, “Don’t get too distraught over ye brother’s actions, after all he’s always had a hard time of it.” “Thank you Mr. Cardwell and I hope to see thou soon.” Mr. Cardwell smiled as he turned away, disappearing into the evening London crowd.

Daniel kneeled down burdened with the reminder of his younger brother Gabriel. Daniel has always been the more responsible of the two brothers especially since their parents died almost two years ago. Without him noticing, he had begun to speak his thoughts when a sudden voice woke him from his daydream. When he snapped out of his trance, he was accosted by what he saw as his mouth hung open, breathless, by the girl who stared back at him with a confused look on her face. “Pardon me?” she spoke with a soft voice that reminded him of running his hands along satin sheets. Daniel opened his mouth to speak only to feel his words scrap across his dry throat. His words finally escaped his mouth, “Pardon me madam, My words weren’t directed at thou, I was just thinking aloud, I apologize.” The corner of her mouth rose slightly as her eyes closed onto him, “I don’t believe we’ve had the chance of meeting Mr.?” the woman said. Daniel had to look down to hide his sudden smile that was followed by the sensation of his cheeks burning, “Daniel Grey, madam, and thou’s?” “Rose Kerke, it’s a pleasure to meet you Mr. Grey.”

She outstretched her gloved hand with a slight smile that she seemed hard to hide and as a fair man, Daniel took her hand and bowed. “Kerke thou say?” said Daniel with what seemed like an air of suspension in his voice. “That is not a truly English name is it?” This amused Ms. Kerke, “Why no it is not Mr. Grey, we have just recently migrated from the north hoping for a new beginning so why not here in beautiful London.” “Ah yes that seems to be the reoccurring theme now madam, everyone wants to come be a part of our vastly growing city.” Daniel said with anger behind his words. He kneeled down and ran his hand across his shoe as a distraction hoping she did not hear the temper in his voice, “Now Mr. Grey, thou must know that more people could mean better things for London.” He looked her in the eyes and thought for a moment causing lines to string across his forehead then relaxed his muscles. “Ms. Kerke thou may call me Daniel, my father just recently passed and that name only reminds me of him and of course thou art right about it being better for London even if it does seem a tad overcrowded these days.” “I’m sorry to hear that Mr. Grey,” and she giggled as she said it, “But ye may call it overcrowded but I see it as a lot of new places to hide.”

As Daniel sat lost in all his thoughts, he did not notice the loud bangs coming from the front of the house. He shook off all the memories he often revisited as he snapped back to reality. He leaned over Rose and kissed her good night as he dismissed himself to see who could be at his door at this hour. As he turned the corner, he started to hear a voice yelling in between the loud knocks, right then Daniel knew who was on the other side of the door, and it stopped him in his tracks. He closed his eyes and sucked in his breath trying to find his composer again before he faced what was on the other side of that door and as he let his breath out he grabbed the knob and slowly opened the door. “Good evening Gabriel.”

 



© 2012 The Wolfman


Author's Note

The Wolfman
Please enjoy and give comments

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on August 29, 2012
Last Updated on August 29, 2012
Tags: werewolves, vamoires, witches


Author

The Wolfman
The Wolfman

West Point, MS



Writing
Carpenter Carpenter

A Story by The Wolfman


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by The Wolfman


Chpater 3 Chpater 3

A Chapter by The Wolfman