Fire or Ice

Fire or Ice

A Story by jennilouhoo
"

Here's a little doomsday writing for last week's apocalypse written this past summer, inspired by a dream and Robert Frost.

"

            So this is it. This was the moment everyone had been waiting for, whether they knew it or not. This moment was for all the marbles. Scientists have been speculating it for ages. Religious figures have preached on it since time began. News casters have been warning the masses on it with every new development. Until now, they had all been false alarms. Unfortunately, today, the threat was as real as the earth beneath me feet, though it wouldn’t be that way for long. It was the end of the world.

            I was looking out my window, the new blaring in the background as my parents paced and conducted idle chit chat. ‘Specialists’ and ‘Experts’ on the news were giving ‘tips’ to survive the oncoming apocalypse. “Find underground shelter,” they said. “Make sure to gather as many nonperishable items as you can,” they said. “Keep your family close,” they said. What you didn’t hear them say was what the chances that people would actually make it out of this alive were. They weren’t good.

            The hullabaloo all started several weeks ago when astrologists detected a change in the planetary alignments. Earth was getting closer and closer to the sun with every day that passed. People were frightened, panicking. There had already been a rash number of suicides and bank robbing’s. People were finally getting to their buckets lists, just a little too late.

            Things went on as if everything was normal. Schools were still in session, factories still producing, and farmers were still plowing, even if it was all in vain. I guess some people were in denial. As for me, I was just numb to the whole idea of the earth was about to be destroyed. I didn’t want to die, there were still plenty of things that I hadn’t got a chance to do yet. But, I was getting closer and closer to finally getting answers to questions that have roved my head for years. Death would lead to a door that would finally unlock to me and reveal all the secrets the universe had to offer.

            Many people were taking comfort in their religion. God was coming. He was going to take us to eternal paradise. There was a mass increase in bible sales after the news broke. I guess it’s never too late to prepare for judgment day. They began by turning to Revelations. Men and women were finding biblical meaning in everything that was happening. Everything was a seal being broken or a horseman rising.

            I found myself reciting Robert Frost as I gazed at the world coming to an end around me. Some say the world would end in fire, some say in ice. The way things were headed, it was sounding like the world would be ending in fire. From what I have tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire. The thought of hurdling toward a giant ball of fire did not thrill me. But if I had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate… I believe that I would prefer for it all to end in ice. I had never been fond of the heat. …to say that for destruction, ice is also great. Ice would be quieter, more peaceful, and would suffice, instead of the mass hysteria that comes with turning to ash.

            There was a sniffle behind me. I turned to find my mother sitting with my father. My mother was crying openly, my father only misty eyed. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. As it ran down to the tip of my chin, I caught the single tear on my finger. It was surreal to think that, soon, I would be leaving worldly possessions and emotions behind, trading them for other worldly experiences. It was almost exhilarating. Wherever this journey was to take me, I just hoped my family would be along for the ride.

            I left my perch by the windowsill and made my way to the couch. I sat between my parents, snuggling into both of them. I knew it wouldn’t be long; I could feel it. I reached for the remote, turning off the news, leaving silence.

            “Do you guys, uh, want to put in a cd or something?” I asked. My mother let out a half-hearted chuckle.

            “Oh, so you’re actually letting us choose the music for once. It must be the end of the world.” She closed her eyes and held me tighter. I looked to my father, his arms around both me and my mother.

            There was so much I wanted to say, but how to say it? What do you tell someone when the world is ending and there is no way out for anyone? Another tear slipped down my cheek. I swatted it away.

            “I just wanted to say,” I began, afraid to keep talking, “I love you two. I couldn’t imagine spending my last few moments with anyone else.” The tears came steady now. I was afraid to leave them; afraid to leave the comfort of my family for the unknown.

            My parents mumbled their final goodbyes and we all sat in silence. Waiting. Wishing. Praying.

I wondered if it were possible for the world to end in both fire and ice.

 

***

 

The world outside our window got a little brighter.

 

***

 

Would it be an icy burn that came with the fire?

 

***

 

I closed my eyes. There was a deep rumble within the earth.

 

***

 

Or maybe the ice would burn hot.

 

***

 

I would never know.

 

***

 

Before I could witness any type of fire or ice, everything went black and the earth was no more.

 

***

© 2012 jennilouhoo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on December 27, 2012
Last Updated on December 27, 2012
Tags: Fire, Ice, Robert, Frost, The End, Apocalypse

Author

jennilouhoo
jennilouhoo

About
I'm a girl in love with words and make believe. I guess that's why I love writing and acting so much. more..

Writing