Another Atmosphere

Another Atmosphere

A Story by jennilouhoo
"

A hole opens in the ground and it leads to another world. Based off a dream I had.

"
It was a pleasant afternoon. The sun was shining. The grass was green. The trees were swaying in the cool breeze. But, something was still amiss. There was a certain electricity in the air making me feel on edge. My group of friends didn't seem to notice. We were all clustered outside of a cottage we were renting in the woods while on vacation. Trying to take full advantage of the lovely day we had been graced with, we stood outside playing games of Frisbee and catch. I eyed the dense forest in all directions looking for anything; I half expected eyes to be peering back at me. Trying to get myself not to worry, I went back to focusing on our game of Frisbee. Just when I was starting to relax, the earth opened beneath our feet.
Sprouting up in the middle of the clearing we had settled in, a hazy black hole began to take shape. Its edges weren't one hundred percent there. They seemed to flicker and change shape and distance. The hole grew until it was the size of a small house. Alexandra was the closest. Not knowing what was happening, she did not get away quick enough. The heel of her red pumps slipped over the side of the hole. She lost her balance, and with a huge windmill of her arms, she was sent backwards down into the deep, dark hole. We all rushed to the side trying to peer down there. Alexandra's screams echoed out until we couldn't hear her anymore. Fearing the worst, I finally looked over the side.
About one hundred feet into hole, it changed. Instead of being a hole that lead deeper into the earth, it turned into a tunnel, leading to a different sky. At the very end of this tunnel was a beautiful blue sky dotted with fluffy, white, cotton candy clouds. Even further distance, I was sure I saw lush, green grass. I was so entranced by this other world, I completely missed the commotion going on to my left. Next thing I know, Cassidy toppled in and was sent falling through that world's sky.
No one knew what to do. How could we? We were all pretty sure nothing like this had ever happened before. But we couldn't just let them go. Just on pure instinct, I gathered my self to the edge and jumped. I closed my eyes at first because of the thought of what I was doing. Did I really just jump through some sort of portal? Was I really about to come crashing through some other world's sky? But, after the initial shock, I began to feel content. It actually felt rather natural. I opened my eyes and threw my arms back in sheer joy. To my right, I noticed John had jumped in behind me, and he was falling faster than I was. To my surprise, he landed on the nearest cloud. Pushing my arms to my side and keeping my legs tight, I darted down and landed on the cloud beside him.
"Where are they?" I asked.
"I think they kept falling. They just passed through this cloud," he responded peering over the edge.
Without a second look, I took a swan dive over the edge of the cloud, hurtling towards my still falling friends. They had not yet reached the ground, but they were almost there. I willed myself to go faster, finally gaining on them. Getting on their level, I spread out my arms and legs, slowing my descent. I grabbed both of their arms. We weren't even ten feet off the ground and we were rapidly approaching it. 
"Throw your legs out when we get to the ground and kick off. There's no gravity here." I didn't know how I knew, but when I spoke the words, I knew them to be true.
I crouched mid-air and my friends followed suit. Hitting the ground, I pushed off with all my strength. We shot straight back in the air, like a bullet out of a pistol. I was weightless. The lack of gravity had us seemingly floating in the sky. We were only moving in a certain direction because of our kick. Looking up, I tried to guide us towards the hole, but there were two problems.
I had overshot our target.
And the hole was closing.
Fast.

© 2013 jennilouhoo


Author's Note

jennilouhoo
Based off I dream I had last night. Not sure about it. Not my best.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow. what an interesting dream!! it sound like fun, floating around in the sky!! i really enjoyed your story, the plot is really good, and your description was nice. was it really a dream coz it is a pretty cool story :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


jennilouhoo

11 Years Ago

Yeah, it was a real dream! It was so crazy, I had to write it down! Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
1 Review
Added on January 5, 2013
Last Updated on January 16, 2013
Tags: Portal, Hole, Sky, Flying, Falling, Sci-fi

Author

jennilouhoo
jennilouhoo

About
I'm a girl in love with words and make believe. I guess that's why I love writing and acting so much. more..

Writing