Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by susan-denham

2

The Charger rolled quietly into the parking annex beside the Arts Building.  It was really a special day, weather-wise.  Spring had sprung.  It was one of those days when you realize that you had forgotten that you had forgotten what birdsong sounded like.  The tree canopy was a delightful din of chirping annunciation.  The trees made calico shadows upon the brick pavers that ran down the axis of the campus.  To the left and right of the walk were the large lawns where typically the college students could be found either studying or recreating.  But today the lawns were empty.  All of the attention was at the end of the path; students gathered around what was clearly a crime scene.  As Kris neared the heavily manned police perimeter, the atmosphere changed from idyllic to electrified with scandalous curiosity.

He approached one of the officers behind a banner of yellow tape.  “I’m here to see Detective Kennedy.”  The officer indicated for him to stand where he was, “One moment sir.”  He spoke into the walkie-talkie at his shoulder.  Presently a tall, commanding woman with reddish-blond hair came up to the line.  “It’s ok,” she said, “he’s with me.”  She wore a loose-fitting business suit that seemed to be trying to camouflage her natural good proportions.  Nevertheless, the topography of the detective’s attractive physique hinted itself upon her charcoal-colored jacket.   Her hair was pulled back into a tight no-nonsense ponytail.  She lifted the police tape and let Kris through.  “Follow me,” she instructed.

Kris followed her through a maze of police, detectives and forensic investigators busily tending to their various tasks.  He thought this must be very much what it would be like backstage at a live theater performance.  A photographer scooted past them.  A group of three worked some sort of lab setup out of the back of a white van.  Security, of course, was ever-present.  Detective Kennedy cut through the throng with a purposeful gait towards the great steps of the building before them.

This building was the campus science building.  It formed the end of the Mall, as it were; it was the grandest, and oldest, building this side of campus.  Monumental stairs led up to eight massive columns that supported a classic pediment; a great masonry dome capped the brick building.  In front of the main entry, tall, clear sheets of plastic had been hung from the doors. 

Kris followed Detective Kennedy up the large steps.  She said to him, “They’re trying to clear everything out.  I told them I needed some more photos of some specific details, so that bought us a little time.  But we need to get you in here if you want to see everything as it was.  That’s important you know, seeing everything just as it was.”   He retrieved his phone from his breast pocket and began to scribble on it with a stylus.  The pair stopped outside the plastic curtains �" Kris’ heart raced as if he was about to go on stage.  Detective Kennedy looked Kris directly in the eye for the first time, “Are you ready for this?”



© 2010 susan-denham


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

172 Views
Added on November 10, 2010
Last Updated on November 10, 2010