Perfect Simplicity

Perfect Simplicity

A Story by jessfoundwonder

Afternoons on the summer sidewalk were beautiful and unwritten. I would glide through the breeze like the wings of a kite, wheeling the little red wagon given from Grandpa to me. Glass pitchers of pink-lemonade overflowed onto my wagon, leaving it sugar-coated ever since.

I was some kind of important in my yellow sun dress. I'd wait on the curb of an idle street for someone to come. '25 cents' was hand-written on the back of a Lost Dog flyer and Scotch taped to the side of my wagon.

All kinds of people would pass me by. Fancy business-men in their black suits and expensive cars would look away. Runners would slow to a jog and yell apologies to me over the blare of their Walkmens that they were short on cash. Indifferent dog-walkers would smile and wave and tell me they'd be back in a while, but they'd never come.

Other kinds of people would give me the time of day. Old couples holding hands would purchase my too-sour lemonade and smile through the bitter taste and thank me. Children would come running, begging for my 'sweet' services. Happily, their mothers would pay me a quarter or two, and I'd proudly pour the lemonade into paper dixie cups. I probably made a dollar that day.

The summer days of my seventh year are all but cloudy. Half my life ago I was so simple and complete. A lemonade stand would have easily occupied my every afternoon. I can't recall anything more memorable than that from my childhood. Pure and even. I had found my place.

© 2009 jessfoundwonder


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was such a lovely piece. The imagery was dead-on, the clarity, the language...
It made me nostalgic.
My very favorite lines were these:
"Afternoons on the summer sidewalk were beautiful and unwritten"
and
"I was some kind of important in my yellow sun dress"
Overall, this was a very beautifully written piece of work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Back when times were so innocent and sweet. Talk about working hard for your money. But I guess a buck will buy a seven year old almost anything they desire- candy and such.

The imagery of the beautiful summer days in some quaint neighborhood is wonderful. And the wheel barrel adds such an old school touch (I feel like you don't see too many kids with wheel barrels anymore. Also, interesting observation on it being the elderly and the young that purchase the lemonade from you. But I suppose as far as simple joys in life go- those are the folks that really appreciate them.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 10, 2009