Grownups can't play

Grownups can't play

A Story by Jessica Harmony
"

Just randomly thought of this. The ending sucks. Oh well.

"

When one door closes, another opens, or at least that’s what they say. I was never a huge believer in this. The second day in November came, and as I strolled through the park an idea caught me. The brisk steps of men walking back to work from a lunch break and the crisp, invisible air sweeping through the trees were the soundtrack to my stroll. The colors of leaves, oranges and reds and yellows were almost too intense to stare at.  Not one person sat on the bench in the corner like I did that day. Not one person had the thoughts I was having. Ignored by everyone in the park, I wasn’t even sure I could be seen, maybe I had become diaphanous.  I ran home as quickly as I could before I lost the feeling that my idea was even plausible. As I reached for the rusty, discolored knob on the crappy beaten white door to my apartment, I realized I had discovered magic. Real magic.

Inside I found not my own green walls but the bright green walls of a little girl’s room. Princess dolls and dresses lay strewn across the floor, decorating the child’s bed and walls as well. I was worried I wouldn’t make it back home, and my door closed behind me, leaving me stranded here in this child’s room. There were no doors left to explore the rest of a house that might be, and I got a sinking feeling I would never make it out of here.  

I sat for an hour contemplating my fate, until I realized I hadn’t seen the dollhouse in the corner of the room. Oh, how long it had been since I’d seen a dollhouse, and a quality one too! I got off the bed and sat like a child on Christmas morning staring in awe at the detail of the pink roofing and the deep blue door that was as grand as the door to a palace. The dolls laid neatly inside on their own beds, but the furniture in the rest of the house was a mess. I grabbed eagerly for it, but my hands were stopped by the sound of a door opening. A child walked into the room and stared at me. Her blonde hair ran down her back in a braid, her frilly pink dress and charming smile made me want to smile right back at her. And so I did. But her smile turned quickly into a frown and her eyes grew confused, no longer filled with the light they had been emanating before.

 

“Why are you playing with my dollhouse?” The girl wanted to know.

 

“I’m so sorry! I appeared here, and I haven’t seen a dollhouse in ages, and I just missed playing with one so much!”

 

“You’re a grown up. You can’t play anymore when you’re a grown up, you have to work. That’s what mommy tells me,” she made a face as I glanced at the dollhouse again, “You have to leave and go back to work now.”

 

“But I - ”

 

“Grownups don’t play with dollhouses.”

© 2010 Jessica Harmony


Author's Note

Jessica Harmony
the ending sucks, i know. blah. got too lazy to make a good ending.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is good. It shows how inside of you there is still a child but society makes it so it is not appropriate to 'play with dollhouses.' I liked it!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
1 Review
Added on November 11, 2010
Last Updated on November 11, 2010

Author

Jessica Harmony
Jessica Harmony

Denver, CO



About
Just another number, darling. Nothing to the world. Bet I'm a statistic, baby. Just the broken girl. I'm 17. I love to write poetry and i'm currently writing a novel. Most of my poems on her.. more..

Writing