Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by jheetah
"

I'm not a girly girl

"

Chapter 2

 

I sauntered slowly into my English class, I saw my mother standing by her desk and she beamed at me when I walked in and waved me over. I chose a desk in the middle of the room, knowing sitting in the back would be frowned upon by her and I definitely didn't want a spot in the front. I set my things down and headed over to her desk, "Hi mom, did you get Mason to school okay?" I asked, curious to see if my little brother had settled in okay.

"Yeah! He's fine, he has Mrs. Ewing as his teacher, the same kindergarten teacher you had Taylor. His friend Parker was in his class too so I'm sure he's having a blast," she rambled on excitedly, her eyes showing just how proud she was of her son. "Nonetheless, that's not what I wanted to talk to you about. There is a new student here that's going to be in this class and I wanted to know if you could help him out today. Show him around the school and help him find his classes."

 

I shrugged, never the one to turn down helping someone. "Sure, I can," I replied, not thinking anything of it.

"Oh good, here he comes now," my mom announced, her gaze reverting from me to the door. I turned towards the door, ready to meet the new student and my eyes flashed in surprise.

It was him. It had to be him.

This new student had to be a model or something. He had to be one of those hot teen celebrities that all the girls swooned over. His posters plastered over their bedroom walls, girls watching the movie or TV show they are in over and over just to admire them. I'd never seen anything like this before at a local school, let alone in Ohio! He was so... I stopped myself right there. I was thinking crazy thoughts. He was only a boy! An average teenage boy, probably surly and deranged like the rest of the bunch! And since when did I care about boys? Surely he wasn't Cade anyway. Cassie and Whitney were insane.

 

"Meet Cade West, Cade, this is my lovely daughter Taylor," Ms. Atkin introduced us. "I am your English teacher for the year and my daughter has taken it upon herself to be your aide and help you get settled in."

Cade's eyes, these beautiful brown oculars that almost appeared to have amber tints flitted over to me. He seemed to be checking me out and my mother noticed, "Okay," she said with a loud clasp of her hands. "I'm guessing you can handle that?"

Cade's attention snapped back to her and he gave her a charming smile, an amazing smile it was. His teeth were two sets of pearly whites, like snow, almost. If one looked close enough you could see the tips were tainted a bit yellow but it'd be hard to notice if you weren't like me.

"Yes ma'am, it won't be a problem, I can assure you," he even had a charming voice. It was deep, soothing, and velvety. Almost relaxing, in a way. I shook my head, what was wrong with me?

 

I know what you're thinking. My life was taking a sudden turn in events much like your average romance novel. No. That wasn't going to happen. I was Taylor Atkins. Boys weren't my thing, they were the least of my worries unlike my friends. I didn't care how sexy this Cade was, it didn't matter. He wasn't my type anyway, and way out of my league. The popular girls like Trinity and her clique could have him. Not that I'd care. Right? I don't care. I'm not going to be another stupid blonde chic like in the books that Cassie is obsessed with and forces me to read. It was not going to happen.

 

My mother smiled at him, "Good. Now, take a seat beside Taylor, and ask her anything you need."

Cade nodded, "Thank you, Ms. Atkins," he said respectfully and fixed his golden eyes on me. I realized he was waiting to see where my seat was so he could find his own. I slipped past him without saying a word, leading him over to my desk. Cade took a seat at the desk in front of it. Wordlessly, he turned back and gazed at me curiously. I pretended to be focused on my class schedule. Talking to guys wasn't my thing, now I knew I'd have to say something eventually considering I was helping him out, but I would procrastinate for as long as possible. Which turned out to not be as long as I had hoped.

"Hey, I'm Cade," he said, flashing that smile of his at me.

I forced myself to glance up at his perfect face, my heart clenched in my chest when I noticed his hair. It was a golden brown color, and it looked as if he had just rolled out of bed. It was floppy and all over the place, almost like Justin Bieber's old hairstyle when he was a teenager but a lot sexier. A lot sexier. Not that it mattered or anything, I was only observing.

"Hi," I said, my voice sounded raspy, I cleared my throat. "I'm Taylor."

"Nice to meet you, Taylor. Your mom seems nice," he commented, obviously trying to make small talk.

"Thanks, we'll see how long you think that," I'd heard she could be a strict teacher, especially on the boys.

He chuckled softly, "I'm sure I'll always think that. So, you've been going to this school long?"

"Since Kindergarten," I answered. He nodded. "How do you like it here?"

I shrugged. God, why was he asking me? Oh, right. I was his 'aide'. D****t. Though with his looks I guess I couldn't complain. D****t. I needed to stop thinking like a girly girl.

 

"Its like any other school, really. Its actually pretty boring," I said, twirling a lock of my hair around my finger as I did when I felt uncomfortable. "Luckily I've only got two more years to go."

Cade smiled wider, "So you're a Junior?"

"Yeah, unless I'm adding my years wrong or something," I muttered sarcastically, he must think I'm a b***h. I was surprised when he started laughing. He even had a sexy lau-.. no. I wasn't going there.

"You're funny. I'm sure I'll like it here. I'm also a Junior," he said as if that piece of information was important for me to know.

I smiled, "Glad to hear it," though I didn't sound too excited.

The bell rang and Cade turned back around in his chair, facing the front, and I settled with staring absently at the back of his head for the rest of class.

 

~~~~~

 

Eventually, the bell rang, I said goodbye to my mom and slipped out of the classroom. Cade caught up behind me. "Do you know where Mr. Weaver's room is?" he asked. "I have him for Geometry."

"You have him third period?" I clarified.

"Yeah."

"That's where I'm going next, you can just follow me. His classroom is on the second floor at the top of the stairs," I explained. He'd get the hang of it.

Cade nodded, "Thanks. I appreciate it. You're the first girl I've held a steady conversation with without the girl trying to hit on me."

I had to laugh at this and waited until we reached the top of the stairs to reply. "Well, I'm not like most girls. I don't swoon over guys like an idiot."

Cade gazed warmly at me, "I'm glad."

 

And this was what it was like the next two periods, he met the his teachers and took a seat beside me or in front of me as I told him what to expect and more things about the school.

"Do you have any sports here?" he'd asked me.

"Yeah, football, soccer, baseball, basketball, track, and golf. There is also a swim team during the summer which I happen to be apart of," I replied. "Do you play sports?"

"I played Rugby at my old school."

"Isn't Rugby like football?" I asked.

"No. Rugby isn't football, its Rugby," he seemed to get defensive so I dropped the matter.

He asked me a few more things, what other activities there were and questions about some of the other students and faculty as well as questions about me. Which I found he was asking more and more. What's your favorite color? Any hobbies? What do you do on the weekends? I gave him short one worded answers, making everything about myself as discrete as possible. I didn't need him liking me more than a friend no matter how much my hormones thought otherwise.

 

After fourth period, I was due to meet Cassie and Whitney by my locker. I tried my best to get rid of Cade, pointing him to where the Cafeteria was but he insisted on following me, saying he wasn't sure of how the lunch line worked but I figured he simply wanted to meet my friends. As if I needed his approval, but honestly, the last thing I wanted to do was show up at my locker with Cade West in tow.

"Cade, you're a nice guy and I know you mean well. But I am really fine on my own from here, and as far as the lunch line goes, just follow the other students. You'll be fine," I told him, making it obvious I was trying to get rid of him.

Cade appeared hurt for a few seconds yet he was quick to mask his emotions. He shook his head, "Right, sorry. I'll just... I'll see you later," he turned away and walked down the hall with his head hanging low.

Great. I just broke new boy's heart. Ah well. Surely he'd get over it when he met some of the other girls at lunch.

 

I continued my descent to my locker, seeing Cassie and Whitney already there and chattering excitedly. To my surprise, Cameron was also accompanying them.

"Hey guys, Cam, what are you doing here?" I asked, raising my eyebrows in surprise. "Did you make up with Trinity?"

Cameron frowned and glanced away from me, looking embarrassed. "She told me to go to hell."

Whitney patted his back, "Cam is going through a tough time here. He's realize just how big a b***h his X girlfriend truly is."

Cam's eyes shot up and he opened his mouth to defend her but Cassie interrupted. "Seriously Cam? We both know its true. Move on and date someone else! Even date her best friend Susanna Wilder, at least she is somewhat modest."

Cameron shook his head, he was really down in the dumps today. "I love her."

I rolled my eyes. The word love pissed me off. Love. I mean seriously. We were high school teenagers, we don't know what love is! That's what my mother always said and I believed her fully. Cam needed to open his eyes to all the better possibilities and wonders of life he has without Trinity. He could at least date someone nice, Cassie for instance! Whitney and I both knew she had a huge thing for Cameron, which is why she was always trying to break them up.

 

"Find someone else to love," Cassie stated flatly. 'Like the girl standing right in front of you', I could imagine her thinking. Cameron sighed and changed the subject. "We'd better to get lunch if we want any pizza at all. I'm sitting with you guys today anyway since Rafael will be there too."

Rafe Harris was another jock, and a good looking what at that. I was proud of Whitney even if I didn't approve of boys as anything more than friends.

 

Our lot headed to lunch, claiming our normal spot in the back of the cafeteria near the popular table where Trinity and her clique sat. Our group simply ignored them. Trinity burned my a*s, hearing her name put me in a sour mood. For all the right reasons, to be told at a later time.

After we had gotten our pizza, I sat down beside Whitney and scanned the cafeteria looking for Cade.

"You okay?" Whitney asked, nudging me with her elbow. I looked over at her, "What?" She shrugged her shoulders. "You were out of it for a second."

"Sorry," I apologized.

"Hey ladies," a familiar voice called as he sat down on the other side of Whitney. "Sexiest lady," he greeted her and kissed her cheek. It was none other than Rafe, here to sit with his girlfriend. Cameron moved over from his spot beside Cassie and sat beside Rafe, "Hey man."

"Yo bro, you sittin' here today with the chics?" Rafe asked, bumping fists with Cam. "What about your babe?" he motioned his hand over to Trinity's table.

Cameron shook his head. "She isn't speaking to me at the moment. She'd rather I go to hell."

Rafe frowned, "Tough. Ah well, she'll get over it when she realizes all she's missin'," he said with a hearty laugh. Rafael was a bigger guy, not fat in any means. He was only muscular, built like a football jock would be. And he acted a bit like a gangster which had to do with his rough upbringing. He'd moved here two years ago with his foster family after he got out of the local detention center. His real parents were divorced and his father was an alcoholic and used to abuse him, he barely stayed at home and joined a local gang in order to have a few people that would be there for him. He was fourteen when he first got caught shoplifting, and he had been doing it years before that. He stayed in the detention center for a year until he was released to a foster family. Since then he had been going to Fairfield Union but he still had a slightly different way of speaking. He wasn't a bad guy at all, not dangerous. I wouldn't let Whitney date him if he were dangerous. He was only caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, people make mistakes and you can't blame them for it.

 

"Lets talk about something else. today in cla-... " Cassie had made an attempt to change the subject but stopped midsentence and seemed to be staring at something behind me. Frowning, I turned around and there was Cade West standing there with his tray of food looking hopefully at me.

"Hey, I was wondering if I could sit here with you guys?" he asked, looking at me the whole time he spoke.

Cassie and Whitney were at a loss for words, unable to utter a sound. Rafe had his eyes narrowed at the guy, years of being unable to trust hardly anyone made him very protective. He slid an arm around Whitney's waist, as if Cade came over here to steal her from him or something.

I didn't know what to say, Cameron saved him. "Sure man. We've got room. Cassie, scoot over a bit."

Cassie wordlessly did as she was told, scooting over to make room for Cade.

"Thanks," he said as he sat down beside Cassie, he glanced over at me expectantly. What did he want me to say?

 

Cameron was the first to break the ice. "You new here I'm guessing, what's your name?"

"I'm Cade West," he replied earnestly. "You're Cameron?" he inquired.

Cam laughed, "Yeah, lucky guess."

"I was looking at the name on your varsity jacket," Cade said with a smirk.

Cam laughed again. "Yeah. You play football?"

"No," he said, "I don't like football."

Cam and Rafe stiffened. "You dun like football?" Rafael gasped.

Cade shrugged. "I'm a rugby guy."

Cam grinned, "I played rugby in Junior High, till my dad insisted I join a real sports team."

Now it was Cade's turn to stiffen up.

Cam laughed for the third time in two minutes. "Relax, I never said I agreed with his logic." Cam picked up his slice of pizza and stuffed half of it into his mouth, I reverted my eyes to my tray, not wanting to watch him eat like a pig. Another reason why I didn't want a boyfriend, they were gross.

 

Rafe hadn't said a word, he still had his arm wrapped tightly around Whitney's waist, his gaze baring down right on Cade. If Cade noticed the cold shoulder he was receiving from Rafe, he didn't show it. Cade ate his pizza slowly, not speaking. The whole table was quiet. I glanced up from my tray, hating awkward moments. My eyes landed on Cassie who immediately tensed up and raised her eyes to meet mine. Cassie was the queen of gossip, and she could always seem to tell when someone was talking about her or looking at her. I kept staring at her, she was always the one to break the ice. Where was her upbeat attitude now? Cassie ever so slightly shifted her gaze to Cade. Oh. I gotcha'. She did not want to make an idiot of herself in front of the new boy. Fine. Looks like it was up to me. Oh joy.

 

"So, how's everyone's first day going?" I inquired. Yeah, I know. What a lame way to end the silence, but at least I was making an attempt. Whitney was the first to speak, trying to help me out now. "Does anyone else have Mrs. Hitch?" she asked. That was a conversation starter. Cameron started going on and on about 'Mrs. B*tch' and even Rafe loosened up and joined in. Cade smirked at their comments, yet he made none himself. What was this guy? A goody two-shoes? He stared quietly at his tray, and ate like my mom wished Mason would eat. I narrowed my eyes. Was this all an act to try and impress some girls? Or was the boy actually decent, not the hard a*s, I think I'm the f*****g s**t, bull-headed jock I expected him to be?

 

Cade raised his head, his eyes met mine as he caught me staring. I was sure my face was beat red and burning off. I expected him to make a comment about my staring, say that I looked like a 'fucked up owl' as Cameron would put it. But he didn't. Instead, you know what the jock did? He gave me a smile and went back to eating his food without saying a word.



© 2013 jheetah


Author's Note

jheetah
Ignore grammar problems please, and tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on April 8, 2013
Last Updated on May 19, 2013
Tags: Taylor, Cade, Meet


Author

jheetah
jheetah

Rushville, OH



About
Hello. The name is Jessica Mae, I'm a fifteen year old girl and I'm a Freshmen in High School. My birthday is November 20th, 1997. I have long blonde hair, blue eyes, I'm like, 5'4. First of all, i.. more..

Writing
Suicide Suicide

A Poem by jheetah


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by jheetah