1.

1.

A Chapter by jill_reese

       The Coles's car is silver and has eight seats. I ride in the middle row on the right side. Isaac Cole and his wife, Kelly, are in front. Isaac is driving. Their daughter, Kristin Cole, is sitting on the left in the middle row. She is reading a book called To Kill a Mockingbird. I have never read it, though it is popular in my country as well as America.

       Kelly tells Isaac to stop at a place called McDonald's. I have heard of this, also. It is aplace where humans get food. There is one right outside of Tarasov, but none in the country itself. Isaac,Kelly, and Kristin order. I decline the offer. Humans have duller senses than vampires, so their food is usually unsatisfying to vampires. Sweet foods are too sweet, salty foods too salty. I will eventually have to eat, but I would rather wait until I have to.

       It takes one hour to reach the Coles's house. It is painted yellow, and has three bedrooms. We walk inside and Kristin shows me my room. It is smaller than I am used to, but it is fine. The room is painted blue with white curtains, bedding, and carpet. The day before, I went shopping for "normal" clothes so I would not cause too much talk.

       I realize that I am very tired. It is 9:38pm. I undress and put on the night clothes (in America they call them "pajamas"). I lie on the bed to rest, and soon I am asleep.

. . .

 

       I wake up the next morning at dawn, 6:11. Knowing that I will not be able to fall asleep again, I stand. I get dressed in my new clothes, blue jeans and a sleeveless white shirt. I walk down the stairs and see Kelly standing in the yellow kitchen. "Excuse me," I say.

       She jumps and turns around to face me. "How do you do that?" she asks.

       "What?" I ask.

       "You don't make any noise when you walk. How...," Kelly doesn't finish.

       "Sorry," I say. It will probably take time for her and her family to get used to my ways.

       "It's okay. Did you need something?" Kelly asks.

       I hesitate. "I was wondering... if you know about my father. Where he has been taken." When the Vampire Council of the United States hid me in Gammon with the Coles, they never told me where my father was being taken.

       "I don't know. Nobody told us anything except that you needed a place to stay for a while," Kelly replies. "They didn't tell you?"

       "No. They told me where I was going and what they will be doing in my country while my father and I are gone," I say.

       "Oh. I'm sorry. I don't know," Kelly says. "It's really not my business, but what are they doing?"

       "Looking for the hunters. There is no possible way that the hunters could have gotten out without anyone seeing them. They must still be there. Looking for...," I do not finish. I turn away, forcing back tears as I remember seeing my mother's body lying on the ground, bloody and lifeless.

       "Are you okay, Alysonya?" Kelly asks.

       The tears are not threatening to spill over anymore. It is good, because I cry blood, and that is not something I want anyone to see. "I...I think so," I reply, slightly surprised. Hardly anyone ever asks me if I am okay, and I try hard not to let anyone know when I am not. It is my responsibility to help my country, not have people help me.

       "Are you sure?" she asks, her expression kind and concerned.

       "Yes," I say. "Thank you."

       "Do you need anything else?" Kelly asks.

       My mother, I think but don't say it out loud. "Water?"

       Kelly gets a glass out of a cupboard and fills it with water. "Thank you," I repeat. "Where are Isaac and Kristin?"

       "Upstairs. Kristin doesn't get up until seven and Isaac works at night, so he sleeps a lot during the day," Kelly says.

       "Really?" I ask. "Sounds familiar," I say, smiling.

       Kelly smiles back.



© 2011 jill_reese


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on April 14, 2011
Last Updated on April 14, 2011


Author

jill_reese
jill_reese

Missoula, MT



About
Hi. My name is Jill. I love writing and reading, and my family. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by jill_reese