Chapter 1: Struggling in the Past

Chapter 1: Struggling in the Past

A Chapter by Lyra Caius
"

The start of the young woman's journey and her recall of the past.

"
Within the vicinities of Japan, there resides the village of Saitaome. I used to live in a dojo, well, anyone would say that living in a dojo is like a good experience for the traditional fanatics. Of course, it's a training house as said with the folk here.

This is no ordinary dojo. Not like the dojos that held up Kendo or Judo as training. My name is Lyra Aima, formerly. During my childhood, I was rather raised in a family where, like other common folk here, has supernatural powers and what not. Some enjoyed it, some even label them as one of the famous heroes of today. Maybe even get to be one of the top ranking individuals. To be honest, I wasn't proud to be an Aima. Back then in my days of being a child, parents would raise me to be part of royalty, to be a proper lady. Everyone would think it's normal, but not for me.

I was raised in a family who wields a weapon, with the use of blood. Aima was labeled as a cursed family in the village of Saitaome. The most feared because of our power to manipulate blood. Even people at school would give space for me. Making friends was difficult in my youth. Even through my progressing years, no one would be brave enough to be close with me. To such extent, I wouldn't want to use my power to hurt people. I want to just keep a right distance, and not see a dead body within my sight.

Elementary wasn't a good experience for me, I was bullied, and I thought I could keep it in. But that one day made me traumatized of the power that was bestowed onto me. I gave him the payback, the revenge I solely wish ever since it started. I played with him, and for everyone, it was an agonizing sight to see, with only few people within the room. Pain started to spread on him, as I proceeded to pin him down physically. Hearing the screams, I had the urge to stop, walking away from the scene as he made it back to his chair, shaking in agony.

The pleasure of revenge was sweet, very sweet. But my power was something to be scared of, even for myself. The fact that I can manipulate blood, even my own, it could end up very grim for him if I push it even further. Training made me feel even worse, just seeing the capabilities on what my family could do. I want to save people, not using them as if they're just a mere tool to be played with. Not punishing people easily with just one flick with your finger. 

I hated it, my power, the culture of this family, everything. The fact where I see blood splatters, screams, agonizing sight of pain, and the smell of iron. I told this to my mom, she too, knows what I've been going through, and knows what I solely wish for myself. I never told my father, nor my brother, for they were too prideful with the power of this cursed family.

Through out my twelve years of this, it made me more serious, the once happy-go-lucky child faded away like a dust particle that flew into the air. I was forced to master this wretched power. Taking out blood from small creatures, animals, even innocent cats and dogs, and suddenly, taking it out from a living person. All of those, into that blood pit, to where I was trained to manipulate blood, and it was the worst. Having this feeling of guilt, taking it out of innocent lives and playing with them with my own hands. 

One time I had to train with my cousins, the fellow relatives along the Aima bloodline. We had this specific room in the dojo that is hidden to many visitors and locals alike. Only the ones who blood wield can sense where it is. It was where training sessions held most of the time, and where anyone would contemplate when they're alone. They call this room the Tasatsu Temple. As I said, it's an area to have mock battles and do training with fellow blood wielders. It has this rocky surrounding in the temple, with long banners of ancient Japanese scripture in red, and of course, the smell of iron is vivid.

Pool of blood, all across the temple, with stone bridges towards the battle arena. To be honest, I would wish it was lava. Just seeing this is sickening to the bone. I wanted to at least think that this is just like those parts of the kitchen ingredients where it's all water and red food coloring. But the smell of iron is strong. I trained with my dad, it was the usual training, or at least that's what I think.

Before I knew it, I was controlled, unable to move on my own will. I knew this as I see him on his stance. With that serious look on his face, I already knew his expectations on me. Every single blood cell of mine are under his control. 

"Lyra, you know this, I thought you're practical minded like your old man." He said with a grin on his facials, glaring me there with those dark reddish eyes at me.

"What's the purpose of this anyway?!" I said as I began to release my anger towards my own father, I couldn't take it being treated like this. At that point I knew I had to push back. I triggered my senses, which made my father shocked because I was free from his control. He's still at his stance. I instead do the same on him.

"I can't take this anymore father, now tell me, what's the purpose of being so prideful? When the power bestowed onto us is feared by most of the people. Tell me how are we a help to the society when we can use them as our tools instead of treating them naturally." I said that, still leaving my father unable to move on his own accord. As much as it is, he was speechless. I felt the gazes here and there coming from my cousins, uncles and aunts. 

"I'd rather rid myself of this power, and find my own, in which where I'm in sync." I land another statement as I let my father free. Walking away from the room that I call nightmare, going to my room. I had to call it a day, with all the stress at school, in training, and also my power. 

This life I've been in, born as being the so-called princess of the Aima, in which I was taught to be a proper lady, with all the ethics and codes to follow. It started to fade, as I slowly realize that's the only part of my life that I was a normal person. 

Having this power is just a curse, I use blood as a weapon, as a way to get my enemies settled straight, at one point that's a help to anyone, but just seeing how it scares people, it twisted the word help into threat. There's no idea how you can help people with this power. All will result into pain, and evil as it is.


© 2015 Lyra Caius


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this supernatural society kind of thing you're going for, mixed with the tension and emotional drama of the Aima family.

Although pacing seems a bit way too accelerated, glancing over the somewhat detailed parts of a scene. Such as the part where Lyra was in elementary, it was going lightning quick. I understand it's a bit of the backstory and essential to the flow of the story.

As a tip, try to minimize on the amount of exposition, we want to grasp what Lyra is feeling as she goes through all this. In here, it looks like a montage of her past life. As a matter of fact, I am not familiar with what our main hero looks like. Is she a brunette? Does she prefer jackets or coats? Basic but very crucial stuff like those.

For the characters, I really can't judge for now as it's only the first chapter. The blood-based powers remind me of Bloodbending from Avatar, which is super awesome by the way.

Other than what I said above, I can see you are improving as time passes. Why not post more of your lesser-known stories here? It'd be a good read to pass the time.

Keep up the good work. I'll be sure to check them out right here.



Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyra Caius

8 Years Ago

I'll keep that in mind and do some revisions from time to time, might even add some few details here.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 15, 2015
Last Updated on August 15, 2015


Author

Lyra Caius
Lyra Caius

About
Artist, a hobbyist writer and photographer. Multimedia Arts Student Freelancer at Redbubble Nice to meet you all. For more of my works other than writing check over at my blog. http://ji.. more..

Writing